Thai Tourism Minister Talks Up 5-Year Visas

webfact

Tourism Minister Talks Up 5-Year Visas

By Sasiwan Mokkhasen, Staff Reporter -

14569112301456911261l.jpg   

Numerous expats work at a cafe at the Thailand Creative & Design Center in Bangkok.

BANGKOK — A long-discussed plan to offer five-year visas for foreigners was floated again Tuesday by the nation’s top tourism official.

Visas to facilitate those staying for extended periods would make Thailand more competitive with neighbors such as Malaysia, where 10-year visas are available, according to Minister Kobkarn Wattanavrangkul, who said the issue would be raised with the relevant immigration and security agencies.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/2016/10/26/tourism-minister-talks-5-year-visas/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2016-10-26

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just now, ScotBkk said:

I will pay ZERO attention to what they say. But their actions can have my undivided attention.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Absolutely correct. What we are hearing isonly the commercials. I will wait until the "product" is actually in the shops.

18 minutes ago, ratcatcher said:

Absolutely correct. What we are hearing isonly the commercials. I will wait until the "product" is actually in the shops.

5 year visas are readily now.  Thailand elite visa:  5 years for 500kbaht, or 10 years for 800 k baht.  The visas are not the only issue.  I think you will find that the expats that live there are so tired of the constant 90 day reporting.  For somebody that has been approved to stay there long time, a one year reporting should be more than adequate.  At least the 90 day kind of can be done online or by mail, but lately you can read all the accounts of new forms, information required, etc.

21 minutes ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

Absolutely everything they have done to date has suggested an opposing strategy towards long term visitors, so very much a case of wait and see over the border for me.

Yes, where the drinks are cheap, the locals are friendly and they actually want us here.  Xenophobic Thai government is just worried about missing out on a payday as usual.  So predictable. 

55 minutes ago, ScotBkk said:

I will pay ZERO attention to what they say. But their actions can have my undivided attention.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you trying to say that actions speak louder than words. These words from the TAT ladies mouth are earth shattering compared to her chocolate coated statements since God knows when. I hope this covers the long stay expats as well but as you say actions is what counts. As my old grandmother used to say believe nothing of what you hear and only half of what you see. 

"

"True must die so that propaganda lives"

A result of the recent seminar in Chiang Mai related to "long stay tourists", comes up every year or two and it is a vote getter, assuming you could vote of course.

As with the other comments, time will tell but probably not in mine.

Just now, elgordo38 said:

Are you trying to say that actions speak louder than words. These words from the TAT ladies mouth are earth shattering compared to her chocolate coated statements since God knows when. I hope this covers the long stay expats as well but as you say actions is what counts. As my old grandmother used to say believe nothing of what you hear and only half of what you see. 

"

"True must die so that propaganda lives"

"These words from the TAT ladies mouth ..............."

A small detail but Ms Kobkarn would be offended by you referring to her as a "TAT lady". She is no other than the Minister of Tourism and Sports and takes her role very seriously.;)

3 minutes ago, Thailand said:

A result of the recent seminar in Chiang Mai related to "long stay tourists", comes up every year or two and it is a vote getter, assuming you could vote of course.

As with the other comments, time will tell but probably not in mine.

Just as I thought another false hope flag raised. There I go thinking that maybe the TAT lady was finally going to do something useful Ugh. Well back to the North Korean news. 

Just now, elgordo38 said:

Just as I thought another false hope flag raised. There I go thinking that maybe the TAT lady was finally going to do something useful Ugh. Well back to the North Korean news. 

Can we then wait for the TAT lady to sing?

1 minute ago, ratcatcher said:

"These words from the TAT ladies mouth ..............."

A small detail but Ms Kobkarn would be offended by you referring to her as a "TAT lady". She is no other than the Minister of Tourism and Sports and takes her role very seriously.;)

Yes I took my job seriously to when I was working. I would always look forward to the next paycheck. I guess we do have something in common. 

46 minutes ago, nev said:

Maybe they are starting to wake up and realize we bring in much needed funds and not here to work illegally.

Funny I'm wondering if somebody didn't suggest running something up the TV flagpole to see if Thai psychology might work on them for something.. 

Interesting how this "news" account doesn't mention where she was speaking or to whom.   Apparently it is partially in response to the "Long Stay Challenges" seminar we had here in Chiang Mai on Friday, where she flew in and listened to us for about an hour at the end.  There have been similar seminars in the past staged by various Thai gov't and non-gov't organizations, but she is the highest gov't official to come to one of these seminars.

In the past, not much has been done.   

1 hour ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

Absolutely everything they have done to date has suggested an opposing strategy towards long term visitors, so very much a case of wait and see over the border for me.

It was the previous government that strongly opposed this idea since it would harm Taksins elite  Visa scheme.  And since the scheme is functioning at present they would have to carefully cosinder how and to whom a 5 year visa would be granted.

expats.jpg

Numerous expats work at a cafe at the Thailand Creative & Design Center in Bangkok.

I am sure others are wondering if these hardworking expats seen working at TCDC have any trouble acquiring a work permit.

Are these the people the Minister is hoping to assist with 5 year visas?

After all, residents here on a year to year basis have long since used their visas and are on annual extensions of stay.