Where to get a Decent Salad in Bangkok...???

robertthebruce

1 hour ago, Asiang said:

I do not believe what you said about sizzler, sounds like defamation to me.

Do you have any evidence ?

Google search for sulfites in salad bars.  It is used as a preservative so veggies don't look wilted. 

Call me jaded, but I'm more than a little bit wary of the salad veggies that sit out in open, uncovered containers all day at the local supermarket or mall -- where who knows what can land on them, is sprayed on them, or how long they may remain sitting there and/or get carried over from day to day... :sad:

3 hours ago, robertthebruce said:

Yes, have to agree, my only negative is their dressings, apart from Olive Oil, which I always ask for..., but a nice healthy low  calories-lo Fat dressing would be nice...

'Fat free' is a gimmick. It usually means ' loaded with sugar'!

7 hours ago, Kabula said:

I recommend the Sizzler salad bar all you can eat.

Yes...the salad bar at Sizzler outlets are more than adequate and more than enough choices on display...unless you are like some people and make like they are some sort of salad bar connoisseur and some kind of expert on salad bars.

Geez.....

6 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The problem with salads in Thailand is they're using Thai grown produce, and as reported here recently, a lot of Thai grown produce has problems with excessive pesticide residues.

The so-called organic and other locally generated quality/safety marks basically mean nothing here, as they're not enforced by the government or anyone else. And past independent testing has shown those kinds of labels also have pesticide residue levels in excess of standards.

And of course at restaurants, you never really know where they're sourcing their salad ingredients from, making it even more difficult to know if one's attempts to eat "healthy" is in fact resulting in you eating very "unhealthy."

http://www.thaipan.org/node/849

Yeah, it's scary and slowed my salad intake down recently. I used to buy a lot of take-home items from the Foodland salad bars. But they've been looking decidedly second-tier lately and lacked any flavour. 

The following is for "cooks": Then a few weeks ago I decided to go all the way and buy nothing but imports from NZ, Oz and tomatoes from Israel, I think. From Villa. What a difference! (What a price!!!). When I cut into an onion it was like reliving my childhood and our home vegetable garden. Flavour like I haven't tasted in years. Red/yellow peppers amazing. Tomatoes like I'd just picked them. Lettuce that actually had that earthy lettuce flavour. The kitchen smelled of fresh veggies for hours. This hasn't happened since I left the far west. I think buying the ingredients for home use works if you eat salads every day. 

The supermarket on the top floor of the Emporium on Sukhumvit (Phrom Pong Station) next to Queen's park has the only decent salad bar in all of Bangkok if you ask me. Has many many things to put on your salad and maybe 8-10 excellent dressings, a few are way too sugary, but even those are much better quality than you expect anywhere in Thailand. You also can taste the dressings with the free celery and carrot sticks they provide. The 4-5 types of lettuce never looks anything less than fresh. I'd be surprised if anywhere in the country does a better salad bar.

3 minutes ago, Americano555 said:

Go to Villa, buy your salad requirements and go home and prepare it. Lazy.

Villa may have various varieties of imported veggies. But at least in my experience, at my local Villa here in BKK, the veggies I've bought from them often turn out to be old and softening once they're unwrapped at home. So they may not be having a lot of turnover for the higher priced, imported varieties.

Not a big issue for longer life items like potatoes and such. But often has been a big problem with the fresher, shorter life products.

I can appreciate the OP's desire to avoid the prep so try this. Buy the pre-packaged, nitrogen sealed salads (boxed not bagged) that go for around 80 baht as they tend to be fresh and crisp. Then buy a bottle of your favourite, imported salad dressing (olive oil is your fave I believe), cut a slot in the plastic lid, squirt in as much dressing as you fancy and shake the bejezuz out of it. Then rip pff the plastic top and dump the lot on a plate. As they say in 'merican restaurants when they plonk it down in front of you, "Enjoy..."

23 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Call me jaded, but I'm more than a little bit wary of the salad veggies that sit out in open, uncovered containers all day at the local supermarket or mall -- where who knows what can land on them, is sprayed on them, or how long they may remain sitting there and/or get carried over from day to day... 

I can't disagree with you, but I'm just as jaded ordering from a restaurant where I don't see the veggies (or the meat for that matter) until they're neatly arranged on my plate with the wilted spots hidden deep below the good stuff.  And there's no telling what's been spilled on them in the back of an open pickup truck or in the back room at the restaurant.

But I gotta eat something...

As time has gone along, and more and more reports surface re the unhealthy aspects of locally produced Thai foods, I've found myself more and more relying on imported products (UK Waitrose veggies, Australian beef, etc etc.)

But salads are a problem, in that I'm not off-the-top-of-my-head aware of anyone selling imported lettuce and such. Particularly from someplace other than China, which I probably trust less than Thailand and unfortunately seems to be a large importer of fruits and veggies sold here.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

1 minute ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

As time has gone along, and more and more reports surface re the unhealthy aspects of locally produced Thai foods, I've found myself more and more relying on imported products (UK Waitrose veggies, Australian beef, etc etc.)

You mean that locally (or Chinese) grown stuff with the $0.02 "Product of Australia" label slapped on it?  And I'm only partially kidding.  

For a few bucks, I can get set up with authentic looking packaging that claims my produce is grown on Jupiter with absolutely no pesticides.  Happens all the time.  (Not the Jupiter part)

1 hour ago, impulse said:

You mean that locally (or Chinese) grown stuff with the $0.02 "Product of Australia" label slapped on it?  And I'm only partially kidding.  

For a few bucks, I can get set up with authentic looking packaging that claims my produce is grown on Jupiter with absolutely no pesticides.  Happens all the time.  (Not the Jupiter part)

A rule of thumb test is whether the package is completely in perfect English, with no Thai (except possibly a sticker). 

2 hours ago, bkkbudddy said:

Greetings,

The best salad bars in Bangkok is Jone's Salad in Esplanade Mall in Ratchada!

They got a Jones salad also in the mall westgate. I get 3 salads eat one and 2 for the next two days.. perfect.  I just love it.

4 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

But salads are a problem, in that I'm not off-the-top-of-my-head aware of anyone selling imported lettuce and such. Particularly from someplace other than China, which I probably trust less than Thailand and unfortunately seems to be a large importer of fruits and veggies sold here.

As if imported food was better. You are really dreaming !

out where I live there ain't no salads, no fixin's or nothin', with or without pesticides...

a bunch of raw vegetables with a dressing is something that most provincial folks can't seem to get their heid around...('where are the pig guts??? you mean that there ain't no pig guts???)

oh...for a simple romaine, tomato and feta salad...makes one want to return to saudi arabia...with fresh arabic bread, of course...

21 hours ago, Asiang said:

As if imported food was better. You are really dreaming !

It seems...the East is catching up to the West where the source and uses of pesticides and chemicals can be found in widespread abundance.

Cheers

The difference between the U.S. and Thailand here is that at least when it comes to organic farming and products, the U.S. has a pretty strongly regulated and controlled market to much better ensure that products labeled as organic are in fact most likely that. Whereas in Thailand, any such labels are as worthless as the paper they're printed on and any such promises most likely are false.

On 10/29/2016 at 5:53 PM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The difference between the U.S. and Thailand here is that at least when it comes to organic farming and products, the U.S. has a pretty strongly regulated and controlled market to much better ensure that products labeled as organic are in fact most likely that. Whereas in Thailand, any such labels are as worthless as the paper they're printed on and any such promises most likely are false.

Dreaming again...