Brexit Vote Triggering Thai Demand For Prime London Flats

webfact

44 minutes ago, HooHaa said:

the irony is delicious, an influx of foreign investment as a result of what was primarily a xenophobic vote.

Eh up, the boring, bitter remoaners are all over this thread.

UK has and always will thrive on massive foreign investment and I have zero problem with foreigners continuing to come to my country and pay their way.

Of Thais buying property in UK, I also have no problem... just shows how childish and protectionist their I'm-alright-Jack system is.

5 hours ago, NongKhaiKid said:

I wonder how many rich Thais keep overseas property, and bank accounts, as a bolt hole for the future in case the wheels come off their way of life here ?

It seems many people of Chinese ethnicity think along those lines. I have many friends in HK and mainland China who have or desire property in other countries including UK, Aussie, Canada, Malaysia, UK and Europe. Where they can they also want to have an additional passport if possible so they can flee at a moments notice.  

They simply never ever trust the political ruling classes. They are all fairly "liberal" by our standards when it comes to business ethics and morals, but even by their standards won't trust the powers that be in their own country. It seems a constant fear of ethnic Chinese.

I'm sure some schools do cover civics, civic responsibility etc but probably the Thai students are excused boots for those lessons.

It's interesting that many Thai elites are educated post secondary overseas would should think a bit differently than the old guard. But elites are a different bunch with indeed entitlement, privilege and benefit from suppression of the working and poor masses.

11 hours ago, NongKhaiKid said:

Patriotic, nationalistic Thais buying property overseas, well well ! I wonder who some of the intending buyers might be and  I'd think there will be requests for anonymity ?. :biggrin:

Many no doubt are those who would have a fit at the thought of a foreigner being allowed to own anything here.

A little reciprocity wouldn't go amiss but then expect the Thais to howl about being discriminated against.

wow! bitter!

6 hours ago, trogers said:

Blame the UK government in stopping the construction of public housing for the masses, like what Singapore does for its citizens.

A free economy cannot stop investment in the private sector.

I'm not blaming anyone for anything and nothing in your post negates either of my earlier posts. 

9 hours ago, mikebell said:

Name these buyers.  Thaksin bought three UK mansions + one football club whilst I was denied buying a modest domicile on a housing estate in Thailand.  How come there is no agreement with Thailand about frozen state pensions yet Thais can buy up UK properties.

The UK Gov should make it an even playing field - you can't buy here if our ex-pats can't buy there.

Thais struggle to get a VISA into UK AU badly 

5 hours ago, Jonmarleesco said:

Wonderful. Yet the Thais still fail to see the irony in the inability of British residents to buy property here on the same basis. Perhaps time for a hefty foreign ownership property tax in the U.K.

Yes you could call it ignorance, head in the sand or plain "I am better than you'. Either way I agree.

Rich Thais have been buying London,New York, Geneva etc. property for years. It's part of the reason that the Baht is held high by the people with power. Nothing can knock it down, rioting, coups, or momentous events. Ever wondered why? Yet one misguided BREXIT vote devalues the pound by nearly 20 per cent, from an already weak position. And there it will fester for many years leading to hardship for millions of  UK expats that no one seems to care about.

Wonderful. Yet the Thais still fail to see the irony in the inability of British residents to buy property here on the same basis. Perhaps time for a hefty foreign ownership property tax in the U.K.

No. I find such tax racist and discriminatory. Thailand doesn't tax you for owning a condo. Vancouver introduced such tax and I find it disgusting simply for the fact that governments don't have any clue as to how to deal with anything, but slap taxes.

I do support limiting foreign real estate ownership instead of stupid tax.

13 hours ago, Jeremy50 said:

Rich Thais have been buying London,New York, Geneva etc. property for years. It's part of the reason that the Baht is held high by the people with power. Nothing can knock it down, rioting, coups, or momentous events. Ever wondered why? Yet one misguided BREXIT vote devalues the pound by nearly 20 per cent, from an already weak position. And there it will fester for many years leading to hardship for millions of  UK expats that no one seems to care about.

Time for the UK expats to return to motherland and help re-establish her former glory?

It's actually not quite as simple as is being made out here - around 50% of homes in London are leasehold, and almost all new-build residential properties in London are leasehold, so in reality is the situation worse here or worse there? Based on the stats, it seems that even as a Brit you only have a 50% chance of actually "owning" your property in London. And let's not even get onto the injustice of the whole leasehold system in the UK...

On 28 October 2016 at 5:27 AM, NongKhaiKid said:

Patriotic, nationalistic Thais buying property overseas, well well ! I wonder who some of the intending buyers might be and  I'd think there will be requests for anonymity ?. :biggrin:

Many no doubt are those who would have a fit at the thought of a foreigner being allowed to own anything here.

A little reciprocity wouldn't go amiss but then expect the Thais to howl about being discriminated against.

i 100% agree foprang should not be alowed to buy here. Its not same multi millionaire thais buying in prime london sites do not stop locals in london buying but if forang could buy here locals here soon would be unable to buy. Anyway you can buy here if you spend 40 million baht up. 

On 28 October 2016 at 7:53 AM, Bluespunk said:

Much of the reasoning behind pro brexit voters was based in hate of immigrants and the ridiculous notions that they were "taking our jobs/homes/living off our benefits".

How do you think those same voters will react to an influx of foreigners buying up property in a market where, despite falling prices, the same property remains out of the reach of many?

hardly same type of immigrant is it so a stupid comment these properties will never be in reach of normal people 

27 minutes ago, icare999 said:

hardly same type of immigrant is it so a stupid comment these properties will never be in reach of normal people 

No, what is stupid is expecting those who vote on the basis of bigotry to think beyond that bigotry. 

Duh!

When the Revolution starts the rich will run to their overseas burrows like frightened Rabbits, the leadership and all senior Military bods will be gone pronto and leave a rudderless country adrift in turmoil.  Thaitanic will finally reach its watery grave !

2 hours ago, icare999 said:

i 100% agree foprang should not be alowed to buy here. Its not same multi millionaire thais buying in prime london sites do not stop locals in london buying but if forang could buy here locals here soon would be unable to buy. Anyway you can buy here if you spend 40 million baht up. 

Yeah, right, it all makes sense, no double standards at all. 

Good grief...

Edited by Bluespunk

Thai protectionism is just fine, too many 'civilised' countries carry a large proportion of foreign investment in land and property, to the detriment of the working class. The Thai people will come to appreciate the added a value of the family house on that little parcel of land we call home. In fact I know plenty who work in Bangkok that would just love to return to the family home if it was viable. Long may it continue.

You want to buy something in Thailand buy a condo and quit moaning.

Someone's doing well. Actually, residence in the UK is a bit of a priority among people coming from unstable countries. The cherry on the cake is, of course, citizenship. Once you've got that you're pretty much invunerable. The problem is you can be rich as sexual intercourse in your own country, but lose it in an instant, upon a change in the powers that be. You, I, enjoy this privilige as a birthright. We sometimes underestimate it's drawing power to the elites in the world.