Thief picks the wrong car to steal from - it belonged to deputy police chief

webfact

Thief picks the wrong car to steal from - it belonged to deputy police chief

p3.jpg

Image: Daily News

CHIANG RAI: -- A thief picked the wrong car to break into earlier this month - it belonged to the deputy police chief of Chiang Rai.

Kriangkrai Ariyaying was visiting Bangkok and had stopped off to eat in the Sukhatiban area of Bang Khen on October 1st, reports Daily News.

While he was gone two men on a motorcycle broke into his Toyota Fortuner and couldn't believe their luck - they made off with 150,000 baht in cash, a Rolex watch and 30 rare Buddhist amulets.

But that luck didn't last long.

Police were soon on the case and after CCTV was studied a Facebook appeal was made on a metropolitan police page. This led them to get a warrant from a Minburi court and directed them to Nakorn Nayok.

Yesterday they apprehended Chaiwat Prangmart, 24, a Bangkok native who goes by the nickname of Nong Ramkhamhaeng.

He confessed that he was the driver of the bike caught on the CCTV. He further told cops that he was one of five gang members involved in stealing from cars where the owners had parked to go and eat.

He admitted to five such thefts in the Bang Khen, Hua Mark, Sai Mai and Kannayao areas of the city.

He said that on the day in question he was working with his mate called "Kop" who used a screwdriver to break into the black Fortuner.

He said the gang used the proceeds of their crimes to have a good time and buy drugs.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-10-28

can someone look up the Deputy chiefs official pay scale :)

and I am sure the Rolex was just being taken down to the evidence locker , but he got hungry , 

I hope this is what the  PM was trying to stop and not just replace crooks like this with his own gang of crooks in green camo......

I simply cannot imagine how a police officer, up here in the most northern  province of Thailand, so far from Bangkok and bordering on Burma and Laos, could have amassed that amount of wealth!  It really is a mystery! 

I'm scratching my head.

A professional cop carrying around so much cash instead of using an ATM card like us, normal people, would be a suspect for unusual wealth...

I don't care much about the Rolex...as one can get it for Bt500 around Asoke.

3 hours ago, JAG said:

I simply cannot imagine how a police officer, up here in the most northern  province of Thailand, so far from Bangkok and bordering on Burma and Laos, could have amassed that amount of wealth!  It really is a mystery! 

Possibly married well and then became a very astute and shrewd investor.

It seems many senior RTP officers could teach the big investment banks and stock brokers a trick or two!

2 hours ago, trogers said:

I'm scratching my head.

A professional cop carrying around so much cash instead of using an ATM card like us, normal people, would be a suspect for unusual wealth...

I don't care much about the Rolex...as one can get it for Bt500 around Asoke.

Doesn't say the Rolex was a fake.

150k, real Rolex and 30 rare (and valuable) amulets seems a lot of money to you and me, and perhaps to most. But to some it ain't - and so they'll just leave it in the car.

14 minutes ago, jerojero said:

Poetic justice. But indeed why was there 150K cash in his car!

Because it was too much to put in hs wallet? Maybe didnt want to be mugged on the street?

Maybe he had saved 2 years salary and was going to donate it all to the less fortunate?

Maybe i am dreaming?

A classic example of no honor among thieves, if I ever heard one!!!

The cop really needs to explain what he was doing with this little treasure of his and how he came about having it.

It's also amazing to see how quickly the police CAN act when it's them that have been victimized. They really don't give a crap when it's someone else. They usually never leave their seats.

I actually wish this guy would have gotten away with his crime.

1 hour ago, Baerboxer said:

Doesn't say the Rolex was a fake.

150k, real Rolex and 30 rare (and valuable) amulets seems a lot of money to you and me, and perhaps to most. But to some it ain't - and so they'll just leave it in the car.

If the name Chuwit is engraved on the reverse side it must be genuine.

You would think a Deputy Police Chief would have more sense,

than leave his valuables in his truck  while he goes to eat,and

all forces were deployed to find the crooks,don't think the man

in the street would have gotten such sterling service.

regards Worgeordie

4 hours ago, JAG said:

There is less competition in Chiang Rai among police, and its one of the big drug trade routes.

5 hours ago, JAG said:

Perhaps he moonlights as a watch repairer on quite days at the office, err just a thought JAG....................................:cheesy:

5 hours ago, colinneil said:

Large sum of money left in the car, was he doing the rounds of junior officers collecting his cut from the days stops????

Errrr- considering he was from Chiang Rai and the offence happened in Bangkok I think not.

Because it was too much to put in hs wallet? Maybe didnt want to be mugged on the street?
Maybe he had saved 2 years salary and was going to donate it all to the less fortunate?
Maybe i am dreaming?

Dream, dream, dream.....lovely impossible dreams.

2 hours ago, chainarong said:

Perhaps he moonlights as a watch repairer on quite days at the office, err just a thought JAG....................................:cheesy:

And of course trades in rare amulets at weekends - of course I knew there had to be a simple explanation.

I almost wondered if he had gone to Bangkok to discuss his future career. ...

Picked the wrong car, don't think so - 150K , Rolex (maybe copy maybe not) a quite a few amulets , sounds like  a good choice - his only problems are, he got busted and no brains - surely you would cover-up seeing as how there are so many camera's around now-a-days.  

13 hours ago, worgeordie said:

You would think a Deputy Police Chief would have more sense,

than leave his valuables in his truck  while he goes to eat,and

all forces were deployed to find the crooks,don't think the man

in the street would have gotten such sterling service.

regards Worgeordie

Wouldn't it have been lovely irony if he'd reported the theft to the local BIB and was told to piss off as they weren't interested, without the usual consideration perhaps, until they found out who he was ?