Top cop, officers charge down Bangla

webfact

Top cop, officers charge down Bangla

Phuket Gazette

pkt1.jpeg          

The 150-strong group was led down Bangla Road by Phuket Provincial Police Commander Teerapol Thipjaroen. Photo: Phuket PR

PHUKET: -- A posse of police officers paraded down the island’s party soi Wednesday night in an effort to boost tourist confidence.

The 150-strong group was led down Bangla Road by Phuket Provincial Police Commander Teerapol Thipjaroen to scan the area for any suspicious activities.

“The high season is coming,” said Gen Teerapol. “Christmas and New Year celebrations may attract criminals to our island and we want people to know that we are prepared.”

Full story: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Top-cop-officers-charge-down-Bangla/65778?desktopversion#ad-image-0

pgazette_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket Gazette 2016-10-28

Instilling tourist confidence is the last thing that comes to mind when I see a gaggle of uniformed personnel marching in columns after dark, especially with some of them in bulletproof vests.

No warm fuzzy here.  If they think they need a vest, do they know something I don't?  Will I have to drop trou and pee in a cup?  Or should I beat it to my hotel before it starts (whatever "it" is)?

Wanna instill confidence?  Have them mingling in the crowd passing out free bottled water, samples of local products (provided as a promotion by the makers- win-win-win) and local brochures, maps and train and bus schedules.

And ditch the vests, at least.  Edit:  And it wouldn't hurt to smile.  Coming to L.O.S. and seeing those sour pusses?  I'd be Googling Bali when I got back to the hotel.

Edited by impulse

26 minutes ago, impulse said:

Instilling tourist confidence is the last thing that comes to mind when I see a gaggle of uniformed personnel marching in columns after dark, especially with some of them in bulletproof vests.

No warm fuzzy here.  If they think they need a vest, do they know something I don't?  Will I have to drop trou and pee in a cup?  Or should I beat it to my hotel before it starts (whatever "it" is)?

Wanna instill confidence?  Have them mingling in the crowd passing out free bottled water, samples of local products (provided as a promotion by the makers- win-win-win) and local brochures, maps and train and bus schedules.

And ditch the vests, at least.  Edit:  And it wouldn't hurt to smile.  Coming to L.O.S. and seeing those sour pusses?  I'd be Googling Bali when I got back to the hotel.

A simple show of power:

confidence-boosting 101 for kindergarten

or

banana politics

Up to you

3 hours ago, d123 said:

Hope they cleared the touts.

Reminds me of a couple of years ago, when they entered a few establishments, then  some time later, invited reporters in, then pronounced no ping pong shows, or any other illegal activity was in the area.

4 hours ago, impulse said:

Me too!

5 hours ago, impulse said:

So, the cops in your country don't wear vests? You are very lucky to live in such a Utopian society!

4 hours ago, jolive said:

It's seem like nowadays there a lot of activities happening in Phuket.. raiding drugs, gamble and now scanning suspicious activities.. impressed

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

how dare you go against the outflow of apoplexy- someone will blow a gasket! 

2 hours ago, The manic said:

What's impressive about thugs with guns in uniforms? This isn't Mosul! It's awful and a sign of weakness.

So a police force that is armed throughout the country is suddenly thugs is it? I would be interested to know where you hail from.

It makes me laugh whenever I see overweight 'Bubba cops' dressed up like combat Ninjas in the US. They can't wait to strap the combat gear on.

I can just see your follow up to  'an unarmed police officer failed to stop................................' or 'a police officer was injured due to a lack of personal protection equipment'.

7 minutes ago, Psimbo said:

So, the cops in your country don't wear vests? You are very lucky to live in such a Utopian society!

The cops in Europe look more  like mall security guard than actual cops, which is a good thing.  I really hate the vest as even a 5'1 woman with one seems hostile.

1 hour ago, Psimbo said:

Not when they're on parade for the specific purpose of convincing tourists that it's a safe place and they've made a good choice of vacation spots.

6 hours ago, The manic said:

nobody wants to see the bill or soldiers in the streets. it makes people fearful not confident.  it appears like can army of occupation. dreadful publicity.

Well, at least they're not armed to the teeth with assault rifles. I agree though that the sight of soldiers rather than police officers doesn't exactly instill me with confidence.

5 hours ago, Psimbo said:

Dutch police officers don't wear vests. Citizens don't carry guns either.

Edited by Xircal

On 28/10/2016 at 3:18 PM, JacChang said:

Why does that guy get to wear a bullet proof vest? Do tourists get one too?

Aren't they stab vests (that most police forces worldwide use)?  They get to wear them because they're more likely than the general public to need them.

Waiting for the statement

"No ping pong shows" and "no illegal animals as photo props"  in Patong . :clap2:

With that many men you could probably have sealed of the whole place and arrested quite a lot of people involved in illegal activity's. 

Maybe next time?

But again I don't think they will.