How much does 26 rai of rice fields yield per year?

ghworker2010

The wifes family recently transferred 26 rai of land to her name because she quit from her government job. I dont understand exactly but if they kept it in her brothers name then the family might lose it (i.e. the govt would take it from them)??? He currently has a government job. Its my understanding that my wife cannot sell it and cant borrow money against it. I dont understand how / what is the current status of this land but its now in my misus' name. 

They rent it out to a farmer for 15,000 baht a year. We went to have a look at it on the weekend and its stunning land as one would expect in central Isan. There is no town water and thus I think the farmer only gets one harvest a year based on the monsoon rains. How much money would he be selling the rice for based on a 26 rai plot? 

Finally, I managed to say the wrong thing in front of my mother in law. Whilst holding our baby I said   'one day this land will be in the name of farang noi here'..... She didn't look too pleased about my comment. I found this surprising to be honest. Its like they dont see our baby as part of the family. If the in-laws have passed on and if my wife is old as a dinosaur then of course it will be transferred to our baby.... They cant take it with them when they die. Why did this comment not do down well. Even my wife said it was a stupid thing to say. 

thanks

Maybe your Thai tones are a bit off key, and may be they heard Mea Noi. 555

Or maybe your tones are waaaaay off and you said something like 'Thai farmers are crap'. This could explain it.

But I wouldn't worry about the land or anything....just enjoy your life, wife and family. [emoji3]

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

What variety of rice? There are many. Low yield, high price, high yield low price and everything in between.

Also depends on whether you use fertilizer?  Some do some don't.

You will NEVER be part of the family. Your farang tainted offspring will NEVER be part of the family. Get used to it.

1 hour ago, Hairyharry said:

What variety of rice? There are many. Low yield, high price, high yield low price and everything in between.

You will NEVER be part of the family. Your farang tainted offspring will NEVER be part of the family. Get used to it.

You seem to have had a bad experience, sorry about that. I can only say from my own experience that i am firmly entrenched in my wife's family and my son is Grandpa's and grandma's favourate. My stepdaughter recently gave birth to a daughter,they live with us without the father, I immediately bonded with the little girl. I am now the number one soother,when my step daughter and wife wanted to take the baby to visit some friends some hours away the Grandparents told her that they would have to ask papa (me) first or better still, leave her with me.

2 hours ago, Hairyharry said:

Come on Harry spill the sour grapes, I'll take the popcorn in the mean time.

with 15000 THB you are on the high end and have a good price.

Thai know the prices and will rip off each other you not worry about that, 

they have a PhD degree in it. And it is all done with the famous smile.

Regarding the land itself that has to be checked becheked at the land office

and do think at the land office there is a remark put on the land 

this can be the registration of the farmer who is allowed to use

as well when and what happen is the land will be sold.

Why the land has to be transferred to from the brother who is a government employee to the sister who was a government employee based on the ongoing cases in Thailand it could be the reason to move the land ownership. which actually not help as seen in the village we lived, the land was taken from the people regardless the construction by the government

And when the Government will look into at the end your wife has to proof how she godt theland and how it was paid.and if not to the rules all will fall back to the Government.

The good news for you is that if you are married by law with your wife you  will be come owner of the land too for 50% under the normal thai conditions and you did not make a prenocturn 

you have to spent about 5000 thb for a las will and mantion only you dughter in it she will get all that you have. including the land.

Well the status of the land is that there is more money borrowed against it than its worth. Your mother in law lost the land and does not want to be reminded that she has nothing now. Your wife and brother in law may be trying to save the land by making the payments on the loans. The government/ Hi-Sos have every intention of owning the land for a very cheap price. When the Hi-Sos are done foreclosing on 70% or so of the farm land in Thailand they will institute nice farm subsidies that your family can pay for out of there minimum wage pay working the land.

500 kg per rai per crop jasmine rice to 1000 kg per rai per crop sticky rice....both pre husk removal

in CM two crops a year. Local Rental price 2-2.5k a rai. I want min 3k but truly want 4k per rai annually. Can't get it other than 7 or 8 year deals which I don't want...

our 5 year old child's name in on the two titles...a no brainer..wouldn't have it any other way...I don't care about poor relatives poor brothers etc

land value currently 700k a rai but our lawyer estimates upwards 2 million per rai 10-12 years out...

17 minutes ago, cardinalblue said:

500 kg per rai per crop jasmine rice to 1000 kg per rai per crop sticky rice....both pre husk removal

in CM two crops a year. Local Rental price 2-2.5k a rai. I want min 3k but truly want 4k per rai annually. Can't get it other than 7 or 8 year deals which I don't want...

our 5 year old child's name in on the two titles...a no brainer..wouldn't have it any other way...I don't care about poor relatives poor brothers etc

land value currently 700k a rai but our lawyer estimates upwards 2 million per rai 10-12 years out...

what a diffrence here in Issan 300k per rai  for rice land can easily buy at moment wife purchased 10 rai last week.

3 minutes ago, Deepinthailand said:

Sorry I meant the price per rai to buy 300k bht sorry for confusion

For 300k per rai you can have "my" 23 rai.

It also has a pond on it 40m x 25m and a 2 bed house with stunning 1 rai of garden.

I normally hear 600 kg to 900 kg per rai, but it depend of soil and water and farmer and...

Presume it can be less. Fees for renting farm land are from 500 baht a rai to 1,000 baht a rai, but often also a dividend of the harvest, which for example can be 2/9th of the outcome, paid in rice; but depending of negotiation.

At the moment the rice-price is very low, about 5 baht a kilogram, so 15,000 baht a year for 26 rai is Okay – but as said, it depend on a lot of factors – I (the company I'm shareholder in) have 24 rai prime Surin-rice land that pays 12,000 baht a year (a bit in the low end), going up the 14,000 baht from next year.

Village farm land is often a very low title deed, given to be farmed only and cannot be used for borrowing money or sold, and can be transferred only within family/relatives. Might be (sounds right), that a government employed is not considered a farmer, and that's the reason for legal transfer to a relative. However the villagers often sell land to each other (they may all be related one-or-other way) for quite high price, usually done with a simple sales-agreement at Head-of-Village, expecting that one day in the future all the land will be upgraded to the high Chanute title deed.

:smile:

26 minutes ago, SOUTHERNSTAR said:

Yes and I am trying to confirm that he is doing the correct thing. He should not be tempted into farming the land himself. 

Unless he plants sugar in it. we do with the current rice land 6 acres in total use three acres for rice for our use and family only and the rest has just two days ago been planted out for sugar cane. the new land mrs has just bought is being turned and fertilised as we speak and will then be all planted out with sugar. gives us a good yield. 

Why are you worried about how much the farmer is making from it? Worry about what % return you are getting. Even if I went really conservative and said your farm was worth 50,000 per rai then you are getting a fraction over 1% return. If you are keen to make money then go share farming or farm it your self or sell it and invest the money elsewhere.

Conservatively say 450kg per rai at 5 bht per kg = 250bht x26 rai = 58000bht. take away labor costs for sewing rice then cutting rice at 300 bht per day per worker (can estimate as no idea how many he uses). then the cost of buying planting rice if he does not use a nursery growing field himself. cost of machine to turn land over before planting. fertiliser used during growing. then not much is the answer.

On 28/10/2016 at 7:17 PM, Hairyharry said:

I often think you Farang are too sensitive. I believe when your child grow up they will accept him as part of the family that is if the child stay in thailand and go to international school in thailand, speak perfect Thai. If the child only come back to visit once a year then they couldn't possibly accept him as part of family. He remains as visiting relative that's all.

17 hours ago, Hairyharry said:

So True, So True       The OJ's said it right:  What they do!!"They Smile in your face., All the time they want to take your place...............they're back stabbers"    as Hairyharry says - you will never be a full part of the family, no matter what, and never will the Luk Krung   -  sorry, accept it and live  happy life.

14 hours ago, Jip99 said:

For 300k per rai you can have "my" 23 rai.

It also has a pond on it 40m x 25m and a 2 bed house with stunning 1 rai of garden.

For 300K per Rai, you can have my 25 rai and I will throw in the nice 2 bedroom house and garden for free. 

8 hours ago, TunnelRat69 said:

So True, So True       The OJ's said it right:  What they do!!"They Smile in your face., All the time they want to take your place...............they're back stabbers"    as Hairyharry says - you will never be a full part of the family, no matter what, and never will the Luk Krung   -  sorry, accept it and live  happy life.

On 10/29/2016 at 9:17 AM, Hairyharry said:

-------------------------------

Seems you guys have had a hard time but to make generalisations claiming all Thais are totally xenophobic is over the top. I have a wonderful Thai family and many friends. I also successfully farm cassava and bamboo with them. Rice is probably the hardest of all crops to make a profit with and in my area is grown mostly for personal consumption. We have some paddy land and allow others to use it in return for a share of the crop.