Rabies advice that might just save your life - Public health official speaks out

rooster59

4 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

They are living creatures and probably capable of more love than some of us - most would welcome a decent home and are not on the streets by choice.  Perhaps be more useful to make sure all have rabies shots and try to help find them homes.  

But you eat living creatures when there is no need to, sheer hypocrisy 

1 hour ago, gandalf12 said:

How about making it a law that every dog has to have the normal vaccinations and Wear a collar with some means of proofing it. Dogs without be put down and owners take responsibility for their "pets"

Na, just put anything down not on a lead that's out on the roadways and doorways.

1 hour ago, dick dasterdly said:

Heavy sigh, you obviously 'skimmed' my post and didn't read (or ignored) the relevant details.

Not that it matters as you've admitted that killing all soi dogs wouldn't get rid of rabies - and this thread is about the advice given about rabies plus how rare it is.  Not to mention if unlucky enough to be bitten, rabies can be easily prevented by getting the necessary jabs.

You'd prefer to kill all soi dogs even whilst admitting that this won't get rid of rabies.....

Rabies jabs are not always successful

1 hour ago, thai3 said:

Do you think the whole world is capable of being fed on lettuce leaves ? 

Do you wear leather shoes ? Do you use make up or medicine that has been tested on animals ?  If so accusing someone else of sheer hypocrisy is sheer hypocrisy.

14 minutes ago, berybert said:

Are you related to Adolf Hitler by any chance ?

I thought the same thing, but tried to point out the horror of his post more subtly.

The same comparison can be made (IMO) towards all of those insisting that soi dogs should be exterminated - purely because they're frightened of them (have no empathy) and want everything that 'bothers' their personal life exterminated....

1 hour ago, thai3 said:

Yes, this is exactly the same as killing soi dogs purely because they annoy some people.

It certainly has nothing to do with eradicating rabies or the advice given in the OP about the tiny number of people who die from rabies in Thailand, or how this can be prevented by (if bitten by any animal that could possibly carry rabies) getting the necessary jabs.

36 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

I thought the same thing, but tried to point out the horror of his post more subtly.

The same comparison can be made (IMO) towards all of those insisting that soi dogs should be exterminated - purely because they're frightened of them (have no empathy) and want everything that 'bothers' their personal life exterminated....

Once the dogs are taken out I guess beggars would be next on their list. Maybe after that children that cry in public.

I think those who want soi dogs gassed should  make a definitive list of who or what would be next on their list.

Over to you.

14 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

This is not as amazing as it may appear - dog meat is probably eaten more than beef in that area of Thailand so the blame should have been on government officials for not doing more to prevent access to suspect infected food.

Well I suppose thats one way of defending the dirty scumbags

It would seem they are not the only ones in need of some immediate serious medical help

15 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

This is not as amazing as it may appear - dog meat is probably eaten more than beef in that area of Thailand so the blame should have been on government officials for not doing more to prevent access to suspect infected food.

Right, but...

Would any mentally sane person consider digging up a dead cow for lunch?

I mean, yes, digging the soil to resurface a dead animal that started rotting...?

Personally, I can't blame the officials in this case

7 hours ago, Mitker said:

Right, but...

Would any mentally sane person consider digging up a dead cow for lunch?

I mean, yes, digging the soil to resurface a dead animal that started rotting...?

Personally, I can't blame the officials in this case

i can if they  were infected burn  them 

17 hours ago, thai3 said:

14 hours ago, berybert said:

Once the dogs are taken out I guess beggars would be next on their list. Maybe after that children that cry in public.

I think those who want soi dogs gassed should  make a definitive list of who or what would be next on their list.

Over to you.

i can only assume you live in a dog free area, if you were walking down a soi night or day with 40+ dogs wandering around would you feel safe

or is it ok to let the dogs turn it into a no go area, over to you !!!

18 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

Not sure what you mean by "proofing it" re. wearing a collar?  Possibly you mean a collar with an identification tag?

Personal experience tells me that both identification tags and collars are sometimes separated from dogs when they get tangled in shrubs/fencing etc. etc.

On the other hand, I have a 'good news' story when New Year 2 years ago one of my dogs was so terrified by the fireworks, she managed to get through the patio door 'grating', ran about a km and was rescued by a 24 hour restaurant!  She had a 'tag' on her collar and so they immediately called me so that I could bring her back home :smile:.   Edit - the restaurant staff worked in Lucky 13 in Rawai, and well deserve a mention for being such lovely people.

Regardless, you obviously mean that all soi dogs should be put down, as should my dog if she'd been unlucky enough to have lost her collar and/or tag when squeezing through the patio door grating.

Obviously your 'destroy all soi dogs' idea wouldn't eradicate rabies, but at least it lets me know that you're one of those with little (or no) empathy who prefer that anything that annoys them should be eliminated.

good luck for you but in the minority, i agree tag em micro chip can't lose that 

no tag in the bag sorry but unless you have tangled with these dogs then you have no opinion 

I got broken skin from a dog in CM.

Went straight to get injection at large hospital. About 1200bt if I remember correctly.

Later just happened to be passing Sarapee local hospital and thought.....wonder if they can do rabies shot. Yes....had one on the spot. Paid 300 bt.

In the meantime I learned rabies is almost unheard of in CM, there was once a case of a dog which had been shipped up from the south.

A vet told me not to bother with shots. I had no more.

I post this because I've heard of people going through the whole series of shots at upmarket CM hospitals, and it would be a real expense.

Edited by cheeryble

7. And don't dig up dead dogs whenever you are feeling a bit peckish. 

To the rest of the world) calling our modern cities and towns "civilised"...are places where people are murdered, raped, assaulted, cheated etc. on a daily basis.

From let's say' a liberal point of viewing nature as civilised...where animals only kill for food or defending what is theirs...they don't rob, they don't carry guns, they don't cheat, they don't judge. This advice has me confused. In a normal part of the world diseased corpses such as dead infected animals would be incinerated definitely not buried so casually since this creates a very dangerous situation with infections. Why such petty information is delved out to protect the public at large is really outrageous. It's so dark ages !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Further to the dr's public health advice:  non-perfumed soap is best, like what people used to know as plain (and cheap) laundry soap bars. A good lather applied to the wound generously within 15-30 mins of the bite can virtually negate the need for a post-bite vaccine.  I would, however, still seek a shot as soon as conveniently possible anyway for reassurance.  The good doctor's 5 precepts are part of a generic public health advisory.  You could substitute "farang", "military personnel", "police", "bar girls",  etc for "dogs" and come up with a useful brochure for new arrivals.

6 hours ago, dieseldave1951 said:

i can only assume you live in a dog free area, if you were walking down a soi night or day with 40+ dogs wandering around would you feel safe

or is it ok to let the dogs turn it into a no go area, over to you !!!

I have been bitten by  dogs in the past and will be again in the future. I have had rabies shots after being bitten. I have no idea if that dog had rabies or not. If it did then it should be humanly put down. If it didn't then what right do I or you have to kill an animal for no  reason ?

I am not and have never been scared of dogs.

Tell me why those dogs wouldn't want to bite you, when after all you would be more than happy for them all to be dead.

Edited by berybert

Many other animals carry rabies.  Squirrels and bats for example.  I was bitten by a squirrel in BKK.  however it was a pet, the owner and the animal looked very healthy.  The skin   was barely surface broken.  I took the chance and seem to have survived.  A dog or cat bite is serious and I wouldn't risk it.  The shots in Thailand are no big deal and cheap.  I looked at a prelim course of shots before leaving Oz to return to Thailand and it was $400 for two shots and they only last a few months - so not worth it. 

On 10/29/2016 at 0:30 PM, dick dasterdly said:

I feel that way about some people.....

Having said this, I still wouldn't advocate rounding those people up and gassing them.  It takes someone with very little empathy (if any) to want to see any living creatures rounded up and gassed.

wait, some rabies flee infested dog has some use in life ???  except biting innocent children , people

did you ever get a rabies series of shots ?

and overhere, they will still not put the dog down and nobody is responsible, off course, unless you drive it over, than some thai will claim ownership to extort you some money