Gun Laws in Thailand

8 minutes ago, MikeyIdea said:

Big difference in where this happens. I talk about unprovoked school shootings. Keep on sayin'...

The good thing with Thai violence is that it is not unprovoked

I'm speechless.  Really.  I just don't know how else to respond to a statement like this.  http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-34996604

School shootings: There were 64 school shootings in 2015, according to a dedicated campaign group set up in the wake of the Sandy Hook elementary school massacre in Connecticut in 2012. Those figures include occasions when a gun was fired but no-one was hurt.

Gun violence in the United States results in thousands of deaths and injuries annually.[1] According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, in 2013, there were 73,505 nonfatal firearm injuries (23.23 per 100,000 U.S. citizens);[2]11,208 homicides (3.5 per 100,000);[3]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_violence_in_the_United_States

8 minutes ago, MikeyIdea said:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MikeyIdea said:

Don't quite know what you mean. Unprovoked violence has been on the rise in western civilizations for a few decades now. I'm not saying that it won't come to Thailand too, it probably will but it is fortunately still very low here

I feel much safer here than I ever would in London, Paris or American cities. I can go with my 11 year old daughter in the Khlong Toey slum night time and still feel safe, no one would hurt us. And yes, I have done this

Main reason is attitude - steal, yes that happens of course, hurt and maim unnecessarily when it can be avoided, no. That is fortunately still a western thing

Quit while you're ahead.

28 minutes ago, joeyg said:

I'm speechless.  Really.  I just don't know how else to respond to a statement like this.  http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-34996604

School shootings: There were 64 school shootings in 2015, according to a dedicated campaign group set up in the wake of the Sandy Hook elementary school massacre in Connecticut in 2012. Those figures include occasions when a gun was fired but no-one was hurt.

Gun violence in the United States results in thousands of deaths and injuries annually.[1] According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, in 2013, there were 73,505 nonfatal firearm injuries (23.23 per 100,000 U.S. citizens);[2]11,208 homicides (3.5 per 100,000);[3]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_violence_in_the_United_States

Don't we mean the same thing? Statistics is frightening in the US and it is exceptionally bad when it comes to school shootings. And it is bad in many European countries too nowadays

How the US compares: The number of gun murders per capita in the US in 2012 - the most recent year for comparable statistics - was nearly 30 times that in the UK, at 2.9 per 100,000 compared with just 0.1.

End Quote

Even passive Sweden is crazy nowadays. A little half a million city like Gothenburg has nearly a hundred murders a year now, it used to be 1-2 per year in the whole country 50 years ago

I have never ever in 25 years felt threatened in Thailand. I work for an American company and my American colleagues are adamant about that there are many areas where you must not be night time because it is too dangerous in America

Strangely enough, the big problem doesn't seem to be the gun as such, more attitude. Sweden has strict gun control and it is going crazy anyway. I still think strict and hard gun control is necessary

As to the pictured gun in this thread: It is not that difficult to get hold of illegal hand guns in Thailand if you know where to go but fully automatics is a big difference and penalties are severe. The police here are not just dumb lazy idiots who do nothing unless they get paid.

No way that is a real automatic 

Edited by MikeyIdea

5 minutes ago, MikeyIdea said:

Don't we mean the same thing? Statistics is frightening in the US and it is exceptionally bad when it comes to school shootings. And it is bad in many European countries too nowadays

How the US compares: The number of gun murders per capita in the US in 2012 - the most recent year for comparable statistics - was nearly 30 times that in the UK, at 2.9 per 100,000 compared with just 0.1.

End Quote

Even passive Sweden is crazy nowadays. A little half a million city like Gothenburg has nearly a hundred murders a year now, it used to be 1-2 per year in the whole country 50 years ago

I have never ever in 25 years felt threatened in Thailand. I work for an American company and my American colleagues are adamant about that there are many areas where you must not be night time because it is too dangerous

Strangely enough, the big problem doesn't seem to be the gun as such, more attitude. Sweden has strict gun control and it is going crazy anyway

"

Number One is the world in unprovoked school shootings where psychos go berserk and kill innocent students, been going on for years now and no improvement

The only way to see that attitude without crying is sarcastically, unless you're American perhaps"  

Never mind...

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, GarryP said:

Get an upgraded bb gun. Not as powerful as an air rifle but a few of the plastic pellets up the bum and pigeons learn to stay away. 

I'm talking about super accurate air rifles. They cost in the neighborhood of 30,000 baht. Other than target shooting I want one that is capable of shooting a chicken in the head for a clean kill. Our walled in yard is 2.5 rai and we have probably a hundred chickens. They are nearly impossible to catch.

11 minutes ago, MikeyIdea said:

End Quote

I have never ever in 25 years felt threatened in Thailand. I work for an American company and my American colleagues are adamant about that there are many areas where you must not be night time because it is too dangerous

Strangely enough, the big problem doesn't seem to be the gun as such, more attitude. Sweden has strict gun control and it is going crazy anyway

"

Number One is the world in unprovoked school shootings where psychos go berserk and kill innocent students, been going on for years now and no improvement

The only way to see that attitude without crying is sarcastically, unless you're American perhaps"  .Never mind

4 minutes ago, Gary A said:

I'm talking about super accurate air rifles. They cost in the neighborhood of 30,000 baht. Other than target shooting I want one that is capable of shooting a chicken in the head for a clean kill. Our walled in yard is 2.5 rai and we have probably a hundred chickens. They are nearly impossible to catch.

Just a thought... https://www.google.co.th/search?q=tomahawk+missile&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjwldvJmYTQAhVMpY8KHehNAScQsAQILg&biw=957&bih=535

9 minutes ago, Gary A said:

I have seen them on sale in Thailand and would invest myself, but you need a license for them. 

11 minutes ago, Gary A said:

Orrrr... hard to miss with one of these puppies.  You won't even have to cook the chicken.  Just push the button... :smile:  https://www.rt.com/news/335993-russia-tests-hypersonic-missiles/

1 hour ago, Strange said:

You can, its truemurderedl walmart locations but a  vast majority in my area sell AR15's and ammunition. 

Yes. The right to protect yourself without fear of prosecution is a wonderful thing. 

Yeah and helps keep them up the top end of murderes by firearms. A stat to be truely proud of. Other western countries so jealous

19 minutes ago, Gary A said:

I'm talking about super accurate air rifles. They cost in the neighborhood of 30,000 baht.

Yeah I know what your talking about. I haven't seen them here just the replica CO2 ones. Cant even kill a pigeon it'll just bounce off it. 

Just now, jacksam said:

Yeah and helps keep them up the top end of murderes by firearms. A stat to be truely proud of. Other western countries so jealous

I don't care how you feel about it. Thats your problem. Statistically, innocents killed by firearms vs population is pretty low and going lower. The school shootings are the real tragedy.

We don't have to retreat and call 911 in our own home (most states), and don't have to fear prosecution if its justified. Wont even be arrested. I can't see how this is a bad thing but up to you of you wanna drink the hater-ade. 

• Like 2

Is there anywhere else for this thread to go now that it, inevitably, has ended up being a dispute about gun ownership in the US?

Any chance of them having their very own forum, to which they could be automatically switched when this happens?

• Like 2

Thais can own guns here, the wife bought one legally here a few years back. They can use them in self defense in their home/property. So yes they can buy them AND use them legally within reason. 

He realises that (most people know Thais can do so legally), but wanted to know whether they can own the type in the image.

Im like 99% sure he either stole the image of the net or its a variation of an Airsoft BB-type gun. 

Brother in law has a pretty real looking one that takes CO2 cartridges. 

He already said words to that effect, that it was a close representation to the one is BIL's girlfriend was posing with. I know you're trying to help, but sometimes I wonder why people don't digest the OP.

Anyway, op, I would just let them carry on with it. Sounds like he's a good contender for this week's Darwin awards.

55 minutes ago, Strange said:

I don't care how you feel about it. Thats your problem. Statistically, innocents killed by firearms vs population is pretty low and going lower. The school shootings are the real tragedy.

We don't have to retreat and call 911 in our own home (most states), and don't have to fear prosecution if its justified. Wont even be arrested. I can't see how this is a bad thing but up to you of you wanna drink the hater-ade. 

Ummm perhaps you can google something like "list of countries for deaths by firearms" USA over 10 per 100k. Most other western countries about  ONE. BUT never let facts distract you.

Edited by jacksam
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Strange said:

You can, its true. Not all walmart locations but a vast majority in my area sell AR15's and ammunition. 

Yes. The right to protect yourself without fear of prosecution is a wonderful thing. 

it is an assault weapon, not a protection weapon

• Like 1

So confusing.My wife and i had a couple of bars in Patts years ago.Our friendly copper told her that she could legally own a hand gun.He didnt give any details of rules or regs regarding the safe keeping of the weapon,nor did he tell her where it could be kept.After a chat with her,we decided that maybe it wasnt a good idea(Mrs Kaen doesnt always have the best of patience when dealing with truculent,ferangs or Thais) So we just hired a bouncer instead.

But on the subject of weapons.I bank with a certain well known bank in the town.The guard outside(god bless him) is as boss eyed as Ben Turpin,the silent actor.his uniform is 2 sizes too big for him,he weighs,at best,7 stone,soaking wet,He shouts at the lotto vendor,out side the seven,all day.I'm sure he's got a bad case of saint Vitus dance,and they've given him a gun:shock1:

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, daveAustin said:

He realises that (most people know Thais can do so legally), but wanted to know whether they can own the type in the image.

He already said words to that effect, that it was a close representation to the one is BIL's girlfriend was posing with. I know you're trying to help, but sometimes I wonder why people don't digest the OP.

Anyway, op, I would just let them carry on with it. Sounds like he's a good contender for this week's Darwin awards.

Topic of Thread "Gun Laws in Thailand"

Content of thread has "Looks like the same gun used in 'horrific mass shootings' in the US"

Small side note "can thais own this type of gun?'

Answer to small side note:

Who knows TIT maybe probably no yes can be cannot.... Personally Im inclined to say they can't, but TIT. 

2 hours ago, Strange said:

Gotta do it at night with a flashlight man. Serious. Chickens are dumb as shit. 

The first chicken to go would be a rooster that terrorizes the other roosters. He's not so stupid. He roosts high in a tree.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, joeyg said:

And foreigners can own guns but not tourists.

This is true, but only partly true. Under the current government, the committee that sits and decides on applications for foreigners is not reviewing such applications.

You can apply, and your application will be accepted. It will then sit on the pile with the other applications. Currently, indefinitely.

1 hour ago, FritsSikkink said:

it is an assault weapon, not a protection weapon

5.56 is a low caliber, high'ish velocity round. The bullet itself in the AR15 is almost the same caliber as your grandpappies .22 with a larger case and more powder. 

5.56, .223, .22 almost the same caliber. 

50 minutes ago, Khon Kaen Dave said:

He didnt give any details of rules or regs regarding the safe keeping of the weapon

Snipping from your post, hope you don't mind, but the wife was not informed nor pushed on any 'safe keeping' of the firearm in the home. Her police family members all agreed there was no such requirement. 

3 hours ago, speckio said:

You also have to jump through a few hoops and only property owners can purchase and own guns.

You don't have to own property to get a firearms license in Thailand. You have to have enough assets to satisfy the committee, however, if there is no other compelling reason for you to be granted the license.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, blackcab said:

You don't have to own property to get a firearms license in Thailand. You have to have enough assets to satisfy the committee, however, if there is no other compelling reason for you to be granted the license.

What about an air pistol firing .177 or .22 lead pellets? Would I be able to get a license as a home owner (Thai) for something like that?   

14 hours ago, up-country_sinclair said:

:sad:   That's what I thought/feared.  God only knows where he got it.

2 questions:- 1) If it is a .22 (rimfire) then its legal

2) are you sure it's not a BB gun (air gun) then it's legal

Give your lady a valium and tell her to calm down, and no, although it looks "butch" its not the gun but the loose nut behind the sights?? :wai: