Sickening beating of sobbing young Buddhist monk caught on camera in vile temple video

webfact

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, Alive said:

To be honest it's not the most shocking video I have seen here. Sticks and coathangers are often used by parents as well. Lots of thoughts came to my mind with this one. First why is the young kid there? Temples are sometimes used as reform places by criminals and by parents who want their kids to shape up. Did this kid's parents send him there? Or is this one of the many homeless boys who were put there or found there way there as temples seem to be like orphanages too.

So according to you this is not "the most shocking" since violence is "often used by parents". Also maybe the kid is a "criminal" or needs to "shape up" or is possibly an "orphan". Among educated, civilized, well-bred people the thinking is that none of these are good reasons for adult-on-child-violence. Your views seem to pre-date the Stone Age.

If the intelligence (or lack of) in your comment, is anything to go by then a nice whipping could possibly up your intelligence levels. After all if - as you claim - violence is widely used on "criminals" and "kids who need to shape-up" and "orphans" then why not use it on people displaying borderline IQ.

6 hours ago, fruitman said:

It's the only way to make young boys listen well, should be done more in Thailand...I also had plenty of it.

BS it is the only way to make young boys listen.

All it teaches is violence is acceptable if you are bigger and stronger.

Just about the worst lesson that can be taught.

Edited by Bluespunk

There was at least two boys beaten. This video only shows a fraction of the original video.The full video is absolutely sickening and the monk must be a sadist. This is a photo of one boys beating. He was hit repeatedly while laying on the floor pleading for mercy and none was given.14724601_708074942678714_5544190372355438500_n.thumb.jpg.866d1c1ccf440a82fb4d7d8311ef1356.jpg

I found the photo in the Irish Mirror but can't find the full video only a 46 second video. Do you have a link. I am not sure whether they are speaking Northern Thai dialect or Burmese. This video has not made news in Thai media, maybe they know it's Myanmar not Thailand. Any ideas?

I started school in a rough ex-coal mining town in Pennsylvania with staunch Catholics of Eastern European descent.  My Dad was first gen born in the US from that ilk.  The adults ruled by the belt and switch and kids were held accountable on the spot.  Location was irrelevant.  

Beyond Kindergarten and 1st grade, teachers had blanket authority to discipline students, and to make matters worse, they would call your parents afterward and tell them all about it, so you just knew you were going to get it again when you got home from school.  :saai:

Begging and trying to avoid the beating, like the kid in this video, made it worse.  Own up and take your lumps.   Moving around too much also meant the blows would land in unintended places. 

Western society has, for the most part, moved on from this kind of "training".  In some ways, the lack of immediate consequences is reflected in the attitudes and behavior of kids now days.  They lack respect for adults in general, which is to say they don't fear them.  There's good and bad to that end state.  But it's also common for previous generations to be critical of newer ones in comparison. 

"Good Old Days-ITIS". 

So many of the replies that respondents claim were beatings they received as children in Christian Schools are pure unadulterated bullshit. I've had a ruler across the knuckles a time or two but no desk legs, etc. I feel for the boy but how about the Middle Eastern children laying in the dust bleeding out from Terrorist bullets.

5 hours ago, orientyourself said:

HHDL practices a form of Mahayana Buddhism that stresses the importance of helping all beings attain enlightenment. Thai Buddhism is part of the Theravada school which places greater importance on the individual path and is closer to the original practice as it was developed  in India and Sri Lanka. The Dalai Lama would tell you himself that both paths are equally valid.

thank you for elaborating on that but I wasn't asking about whether  Theravada is more relevant than Mahayana Buddhism. If you read my post again you will see I was wondering what the Dalai Lama  would think about this monk's behaviour? I wouldn't think you would reach enlightenment by treating young novices the way he did in this video?

Edited by Asiantravel

18 minutes ago, oldrunner said:

So many of the replies that respondents claim were beatings they received as children in Christian Schools are pure unadulterated bullshit. I've had a ruler across the knuckles a time or two but no desk legs, etc. I feel for the boy but how about the Middle Eastern children laying in the dust bleeding out from Terrorist bullets.

Did you attend any of the Catholic institutions that have been exposed for severe cruelty and physical abuse by the Irish media? Or the British? If not, then how do you know what went on and what others here experienced?

<deleted> has this got to do with terrorists? 

6 hours ago, Asiantravel said:

I can relate to what you're saying because the limited amount I have learnt about Thai Buddhism it seems to me that it's more about me me me -concentrating on the individual attaining nirvana rather than seeking improvement for the world as a whole which is different from the Buddhism the Dalai Lama  teaches. I wonder what the DalaiLama would think of this Monk's behaviour?

What would it have to do with the Dalai Lama that makes you want his opinion in particular?

9 hours ago, CelticBhoy said:

The prick with the stick has some issues he has to deal with.

8 hours ago, dotpoom said:

Reminds me of my school days. . Where being hit by Charlie Chaplin type canes, legs of broken chairs etc. , were common practice, on the back of the hands and the face of the hands. . . All executed by the "Christian Brothers" . 

Some of his own medicine from a hardened cellmate should suffice.

Both in Buddhist and Christian organizations, I do not believe it is the organization that turns normally adjusted people to scum and paedophile. But these are organizations, like primary school, scouts etc are what scum and paedophile deliberate join to carry out what their twisted nature demands. They are very smart in planning what they want. "Working with Children Clearance Certificate" can only do what little it does. I may be off with some here, but i believe in studying convicted sods like this, with the aim of getting insight into identifying future sods before their twisted thoughts turn to action. 

22 minutes ago, gdgbb said:

What would it have to do with the Dalai Lama that makes you want his opinion in particular?

because I get the distinct impression he is against violence of any kind and I seem to relate more to the Dalai Lama philosophy on Buddhism more than Thai Buddhism.

" Through violence, you may ‘solve’ one problem, but you sow the seeds for another "

HHDL

8 hours ago, silent said:

Yes really. Were you there, do you know, or just assuming you can make an ass out of u and me with your assets.

No, I was not there. That's why I was asking. What is this garbled cliche about making an assumption? Are you perhaps indulging in some recreational substances (this is also a question, not an assumption)? My assumption is that English is not your first language.

Edited by Acharn

From what I saw, he smacked a grown teenage boy on the backside. 

A perfectly reasonable standard of discipline. Now there are 30 kids in that class that want to learn, and one that is putting on a great show to get all the attention and stop them. A smack on the bum by hand is not going to do the trick. Acceptable places to smack in my view are arse, hand, arm , leg . Acceptable assistance with reasonable and not too much force, wooden spoon, coat hanger, teachers stick, jug cord, flip flops, ruler  ( jelly ruler is best ) and so on. All the best kids that I know, that have grown to be law abiding citizens met the above by teachers and mothers at some point. Calm down people, he smacked him on the bum one time. 

8 hours ago, fruitman said:

At least i don't steal or cheat/scam, don't run into people in malls, don't cry loud in public places, don't drive against traffic, am not selfish , have good manners and don't offend other people on the internet ( like you as we all can see)...So i conclude it works to punish young boys this way.

Oh  come on everyone, he doesn't cry loud in public places! Give him a break

A person of religion shouldn't resort to this kind of religious activity , god,  the good lord , Buddha, Allah and all the other nonsense religions  promotes godliness ,love and compassion  , how much godliness, love,  compassion  is seen in belting a young boy.......................................................:coffee1:

Edited by chainarong

43 minutes ago, greenchair said:

A perfectly reasonable standard of discipline. Now there are 30 kids in that class that want to learn, and one that is putting on a great show to get all the attention and stop them. A smack on the bum by hand is not going to do the trick. Acceptable places to smack in my view are arse, hand, arm , leg . Acceptable assistance with reasonable and not too much force, wooden spoon, coat hanger, teachers stick, jug cord, flip flops, ruler  ( jelly ruler is best ) and so on. All the best kids that I know, that have grown to be law abiding citizens met the above by teachers and mothers at some point. Calm down people, he smacked him on the bum one time. 

At my school, we were disciplined enough to learn how to focus and read the full story before making judgement - all without the need for corporal punishment I may add.

Had you read through the thread fully, you would have noticed that there is far more to this than a 'smack on the bum one time' - not that even that would be necessary for even a half-decent teacher faced with a 'disruptive' pupil.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/951236-sickening-beating-of-sobbing-young-buddhist-monk-caught-on-camera-in-vile-temple-video/?page=3#comment-11284866

Trust me, my kid came home with these marks and the 'teacher' wouldn't be around for much longer. I'm really a most terrible driver at times.

Screenshot 2016-10-31 18.01.48.png

Edited by rwdrwdrwd

What a load of crap!
There are NO acceptable places to smack anyone, full stop.
I have a 6 year young who does not need to be beaten.
I consider those who beat other humans to be criminals.

8 hours ago, monkey4u said:

I agree, in my early high school days I would be at the head masters office most Monday mornings to collect 6 strokes of the cane

I cant say I liked it but it caused me no long term troubles, just taught me not to get caught doing stupid things 

"it caused me no long term troubles"

That's not really for you to judge.  I expect most pedophiles don't recognize that they have "troubles"

1 hour ago, greenchair said:

See above picture then tell me if you still want to apologise for this child abuse.

1 hour ago, greenchair said:

"he smacked him on the bum one time".  how do you know that?  You saw part of a video, that's it.  Not that I even condone beating a kid on the bum with a bamboo stick.  If you ever tried that with my kid, you'd need a medical professional to extract that stick from your anal cavity.  It takes a brave man armed with a weapon to take on an unarmed little kid. 

1 minute ago, Shawn0000 said:

See above picture then tell me if you still want to apologise for this child abuse.

He probably deserved this, only some red stripes not even black bruised skin.

When my mum wanted to hit me as a kid i couldn't be bothered at all, she would hurt her hands/wrists while i wouldn't even feel it. So she had to ask my dad to punish me when he came home which was a different story.

Most (not all) people you see in Thailand who look (very) poor or make you feel sorry for them have deserved their lot...IF you're new here you might not understand their society and traditions but many things are not what they seem. I've been here long enough to see through them.

1 minute ago, fruitman said:

He probably deserved this, only some red stripes not even black bruised skin.

When my mum wanted to hit me as a kid i couldn't be bothered at all, she would hurt her hands/wrists while i wouldn't even feel it. So she had to ask my dad to punish me when he came home which was a different story.

Most (not all) people you see in Thailand who look (very) poor or make you feel sorry for them have deserved their lot...IF you're new here you might not understand their society and traditions but many things are not what they seem. I've been here long enough to see through them.

Firstly those wounds look fresh, they turn black later, and they are serious wounds, that is a certain prison sentence in my country, and deservedly.  I see little difference in those who damage boys bottoms with a stick and those who stick things in them and damage them in sexual ways, both are sick child abusers who need to be removed from society, in my opinion.

But, Ok, in your opinion a boy can deserve that, not in mine and nor can a boy deserve that in the eyes of the Thai law.  As you say you have been here a while then perhaps it is time for you to respect Thai law instead of continuing to arrogantly decide on your own what is acceptable practice for those in positions of trust with children in Thailand.

I see no relevance in you quip about your mother, the boy sustained injuries your mother was not capable of inflicting on you, so what?

I also have no idea what your last paragraph is trying to imply, surely you are not suggesting that the boy in the video who is clearly seen being abused was not actually abused and is looking for sympathy?