Military Draft but my Thai Speaking/Reading is Poor

PeterArphon

Hey there, I'm currently a university student who's about to finish this final semester but that means I'll have to go to the lottery in April 2017. I lived in Europe until 2013 when my family's financial situation forced me to come back here and start my university years here. In these 3 years I did not improve my Thai as my first language is English, I didn't make much Thai friends at the uni (I became friends with the few foreigners here and Thais who spoke English), and i'm not an outgoing person. Plus I find Thai incredibly hard to learn.

But as I near the military draft lottery in April, I wonder what I should do about it. Should I just join the military so I'd only serve for 6 months as opposed to a year or two? Should I join or risk the lottery (which I hear generally has more volunteers than draftees so chances of getting drafted are lower...?) And if am in the military, how bad will my life be if my Thai is poor? And lastly, if I join should I join the Thai Navy? I heard that the Thai navy might be less intensive and there's more English speakers due to encounters with foreign navy personnel and perhaps because other university students who may have learned English join the navy.

Edit: Also, when does military service start if you join?

Edited by PeterArphon

There is a poster on here called samran who faced similar problems but managed to avoid the draft. He might be able to provide more info. Although I think he was 30 before he moved back which made things easier.

Hi Peter, You'd probably find you'd be assigned quite a decent job, such as assisting liaising with embassies military attaches, as a uni grad with language skills beyond Thai if you took up the six-month stint. The lottery would put you in for two years. The intake is around April or May, I think.
It would also give you the opportunity to improve your Thai while clearing you of the lottery risk. That said, Samran states in a Thaivisa post from on Nov. 22, 2009, that he's aware of a Caucasian Thai who didn't read or write the language being rejected for his lack of literacy. You can find his informative and insightful post on this thread: 

Don't worry you'll not be the only one and at least you speak English.

According to the World bank in 2015:

Almost 1/3 of Thai 15-year-old students are “functionally illiterate.” They lack the skills needed to manage daily living and employment tasks that require reading skills beyond a basic level.

Source:

http://www.worldbank.org/en/country/thailand/publication/thailand-economic-monitor-june-2015

2 hours ago, whatproblem said:

I was told by a man once that if you go in the armed forces ,go the navy because the captain of the ship will be there with you and not 20 km away 

And he might get you to bend over the prop shaft to see the golden rivet  :whistling:

2 hours ago, chatette said:

" Samran "  states in a Thaivisa post from on Nov. 22, 2009, that he's aware of a Caucasian Thai who didn't read or write the language being rejected for his lack of literacy. You can find his informative and insightful post on this thread: 

OP my Mrs said Thai men are up for military draft at  20 year old you have to be physically fit.

How did you get on as a university student if cannot read & write Thai. ?

Do you have dual citizenship. ?

My guess is your be rejected but you should make inquiries now at a military draft office just avoid speaking Thai and keep saying don't understand. :biggrin: 

36 minutes ago, Mansell said:

Looks like you served in somebody's Navy.....I would guess the RN.

i wonder how many people on here spent time in the RN?

Not the RN

But did have the  pleasure :bah: of a couple of trips on  HMAS Sydney back in the good old days of my early man hood  

It was an eye opener

first of  all the military tries to use the best based on the personal skills and competences.

the secondly the military can be good to learn Thai too.

so I would not worry about the military at all.

Have met people who did not speak a word Thai and when came out they spoke it very good.

April if far so can learn the basic and speaking very good.

there are some good programs on the smartphone that help to learn as well there are free course of the government.

It is more that you are willing or not toe speak and learn Thai. Also you have family they can help out too.

hope this help you to get motivate and know most people can speak Thai enough in 6 month are read the basics with you head start.

I was under the impression that if called, you then have to pass a basic written test/exam. Seems from what you say, you would fail that. Maybe interviewed, where you can verbally explain your situation. If you have duel nationality, UK plus Thai, then that would further assist your case. To put it short, you are not what they need.

The other way out is what Hi So kids do, pay the money to avoid the military, but I think the former is the way to go, as you may not get the call up anyway..

Edited by mankondang
sp

You do not want to be drafted avoid it if possible. You may get sent south IT IS AN ACTIVE WARZONE, look at the stats. It is not reported. Graduate leave country go work comeback after 30 if you want. 

http://www.bangkokpost.com/archive/insurgency-claimed-6543-lives-in-last-12-years/815372  people who die at the scene are counted died in hospital not counted as war dead. injured is much higher 

http://www.dawn.com/news/621188

Conversely, I know of Thai students who, despite actively wanting to join the army, failed the English test and were rejected so I imagine that if your Thai is poor to non-existent then you are likely to be rejected too. After all, a soldier unable to respond instantly to orders is not much use.

A bit off topic but I have just seen an unofficial video of some artillery and helicopter deployment sequences including live firing during a major Thai army exercise that is currently taking place and the soldiers shown look highly trained and competent which is a description not normally associated on this forum with Thais. 

Hmm, having dual nationality when applying for Government jobs is a no-no and unless there are very exceptional circumstances it would disqualify you immediately.  This is because you cannot serve two masters and a Government wants to know that you only serve their interests.  I'd think that if the OP has dual nationality, he will automatically be excluded from military service.  In any case, there's always enough volunteers who want to go in the Thai services and they're used to weeding out katoey and nuisances anyway in such a way that nobody loses face - You couldn't have someone who stops in the middle of a fight because of a broken nail . . .  I dare say I'll get castigated for stereotyping now!

6 hours ago, monkey4u said:

Not the RN

But did have the  pleasure :bah: of a couple of trips on  HMAS Sydney back in the good old days of my early man hood  

It was an eye opener

I was in theMerch and loved every minute. No golden rivet though!

11 hours ago, chatette said:

Hi Peter, You'd probably find you'd be assigned quite a decent job, such as assisting liaising with embassies military attaches, as a uni grad with language skills beyond Thai if you took up the six-month stint. The lottery would put you in for two years. The intake is around April or May, I think.
It would also give you the opportunity to improve your Thai while clearing you of the lottery risk. That said, Samran states in a Thaivisa post from on Nov. 22, 2009, that he's aware of a Caucasian Thai who didn't read or write the language being rejected for his lack of literacy. You can find his informative and insightful post on this thread: 

Hi Peter, chatette might be onto something here.  Maybe you should view it as an opportunity. 

On 11/1/2016 at 11:32 AM, Jonmarleesco said:

Given literacy levels in LoS, that's rich, though I doubt the military would see it that way.

How is that rich, given that Thailand's literacy rate is close to 97%?

If you can't take or relay orders in Thai then you probably won't be much use in a translator / interpreter / liaison role either. 

One way to legally qualify for an exemption from military service in Thailand is to present evidence that you have completed military training in a foreign military whether it be regular or reserves. So, let's say you have UK passport; all you would have to do is to join the reserves in any shade of blue or green, pass out of basic training (which can take anywhere from months to more than a year, since it is part time) and then put in your notice before you get mobilised. I don't know how it works in the reserves of other countries but in the UK you can leave the reserves at any time providing that your number hasn't been called for an op tour. You will probably receive far superior training too. 

I have a Thai friend who grew up in Switzerland, has a Swiss passport and barely speaks any Thai. He just completed his Swiss conscription so as soon as he gets his discharge papers he can take it to the amphoe to get his chit that says he is an able-bodied male who has already fulfilled his duty of undergoing military training and therefore does not need to be conscripted.  

Or you can try your luck with enlistment and just treat it as an opportunity to make friends and learn some Thai!

The RTAF is the service that uses the most English by dint of being in aviation (not that guarding gates, saluting cars or scrubbing hangars requires any particular foreign language skills). They also have the prettiest nurses, in my experience. 

Edited by Trembly