Foreigners seek bail after warrant less raid on overstay

snoop1130

Foreigners seek bail after warrant less raid on overstay

By Sasiwan Mokkhasen, Staff Reporter

overstay.head_.jpg

The Overstay in a 2011 photo. Photo: The Overstay / Facebook

BANGKOK — At least six foreigners were seeking bail Monday after spending the weekend behind bars following a raid on a Bangkok guesthouse and music venue.

Yuval Schwok, owner of The Overstay, faced a serious charge of possessing drugs with intent to sell along with lesser charges relating to operation of the Bang Phlat guest house, the commander of Bowonmongkol police said Monday.

Full Story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/crime-crime/2016/10/31/foreigners-seek-bail-warrantless-raid-overstay/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2016-10-31

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another disgraceful episode here. There have been reports of people staying in the guesthouse getting pulled out of bed and forced to provide drug tests.

Why the majority of these people are required to even seek bail is disgusting in the extreme.

Hiso's / connected here get bail for murder, manslaughter and all manner of violent offences.

Simply, a 3rd world law enforcement and justice system at work here. I would never want to end up in its grasp. Scary in the extreme.

I hope these people caught up in this latest fiasco get released asap.

“If they are so suspicious of the case, I can try to press for their deportation,” police Maj. Gen Sommai Kongwithaisook said Monday. “If they want to play with us, we play back harder. ''

So the BIB case is so strong they have to resort to threats to force the accused to stop claiming innocence.

Great.

13 hours ago, z42 said:

Another disgraceful episode here. There have been reports of people staying in the guesthouse getting pulled out of bed and forced to provide drug tests.

Why the majority of these people are required to even seek bail is disgusting in the extreme.

Hiso's / connected here get bail for murder, manslaughter and all manner of violent offences.

Simply, a 3rd world law enforcement and justice system at work here. I would never want to end up in its grasp. Scary in the extreme.

I hope these people caught up in this latest fiasco get released asap.

People are aware drugs, including smoking weed, are illegal in Thailand. Overstaying your permission to stay is also illegal. Do ether or both and you risk being punished if caught. Works that way everywhere.

Backpackers who are taking drugs and staying in a cheap charlie hotel aren't usually well connected. Elite, hiso, well connected get treated differently in most if not all countries legal systems. Unfair but that's how it works.

"We were trying to explain to them the current circumstances in the country when we conducted the raid,” he said.“But sometimes they don’t completely understand due to the language.”

..., but sometimes they don't completely understand due to the logic.

13 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

“If they are so suspicious of the case, I can try to press for their deportation,” police Maj. Gen Sommai Kongwithaisook said Monday. “If they want to play with us, we play back harder. ''

So the BIB case is so strong they have to resort to threats to force the accused to stop claiming innocence.

Great.

That is the gangster mentality that exists in Thai "law enforcement".  Use the iron fist first then reference the "law" later.  Under article 44, are laws needed at all ?

My comment will probably put fire on this post...

When I drive over the speed limit, I know what I do. I take the risk to get caught and accept the consequences.

So if someone takes drugs and visits a country where the laws are very strict, that someone takes a risk and should accept what happens.if caught.

10 minutes ago, little mary sunshine said:

Pretty stupid to stay in a known place dealing drugs.

Now want to cry like babies because they were caught

doing dope....next time don't be so stupid.

I wonder. There are sexpats, and there are drugpats too?

Travellers come into this region for the cheap drugs?

16 hours ago, hohososo said:

If you have smoked marijuana within 45 days prior to arrival in the Kingdom, you will be jailed if caught as it is a crime for your urine to test positive for marijuana.

So don't smoke a joint for at least 45 days before entering Thailand.

What's difficult about that?  Those who smoke dope say It's not addictive so 45 days' abstinence shouldn't be a problem??

2 hours ago, Jedsada3 said:

My comment will probably put fire on this post...

When I drive over the speed limit, I know what I do. I take the risk to get caught and accept the consequences.

So if someone takes drugs and visits a country where the laws are very strict, that someone takes a risk and should accept what happens.if caught.

Jesada, what  you smokin' man??   You just don't get this.   Smoking dope is legal in some other countries, and it's not all that serious, so what's the problem??  Dope freaks come to Thailand for the cheap drugs, doing the economy a favor!!  Then the BiB have the audacity to arrest them and throw them in the slammer, just grossly unfair when the locals are doing the same thing.

Call it sarcasm, or a joke, or whatever you like, but I'm not being serious.

I'm a little confused at the thread title......Is the outrage because the OP thought the raid wasn't warranted, or because the bust/search was done without a warrant??

Edited by F4UCorsair
addition

2 hours ago, little mary sunshine said:

Pretty stupid to stay in a known place dealing drugs.

Now want to cry like babies because they were caught

doing dope....next time don't be so stupid.

Exactly! The hippy was running a party hostel and keeping a whole ounce + scales in his room. Ofcourse the police here will accuse him of dealing. What an idiot. If you are going to toke where it is illegal atleast be smarter about it.

Edited by johnny Cage

19 hours ago, z42 said:

You seem to be under the false impression that some people, "Hiso's / connected" [sic] in particular, automatically get bail, they don't.  They have to ask for it, as do the pot heads in this case, no difference whatsoever.   They then have to be able to meet the police/courts requirements for bail to be granted.  If the hi-sos meet the requirements they get bail, if the pot heads can meet the requirements, they get bail.

19 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Great.

The police are not threatening the accused in order that they do not claim innocence!   The point you are missing about this incident is not the innocence, or otherwise, of the accused, it is that the accused are claiming that the authorities did not have a warrant for the raid (even though in the circumstances a warrant was not needed) and therefore their action was illegal.  It wasn't.

2 hours ago, SOTIRIOS said:

...while the locals deliver and pick up and distribute truckloads....in the order of tons daily.....

"....in the order of tons daily....."  Tons, daily?  Says who (apart from you)?

Those "locals" that are caught get arrested, and charged, just like the drug takers in this case, but in addition have their assets confiscated.  Cases such as that are frequently reported, as you well know.

19 hours ago, hohososo said:

If you have smoked marijuana within 45 days prior to arrival in the Kingdom, you will be jailed if caught as it is a crime for your urine to test positive for marijuana.

If you have smoked marijuana recently, do not come here, we want "Quality Tourists Only" .

17 minutes ago, gdgbb said:

The police are not threatening the accused in order that they do not claim innocence!   The point you are missing about this incident is not the innocence, or otherwise, of the accused, it is that the accused are claiming that the authorities did not have a warrant for the raid (even though in the circumstances a warrant was not needed) and therefore their action was illegal.  It wasn't.

Absolutely! BIB walks past a dope party and he should ignore the smell because he doesn't have a warrant - BS.

31 minutes ago, gdgbb said:

No, the bib quite clearly said if they are protesting then I will move to have them deported. 

“If they are so suspicious of the case, I can try to press for their deportation,” police Maj. Gen Sommai Kongwithaisook said Monday. “If they want to play with us, we play back harder. ''

Nothing in this statement alludes to the warrant. The case is the charges not whether their was a warrant or not.

As the story points out, under current legislation they don't need a warrant.

''Police said it was legal under a junta order earlier this year granting warrantless search and seizure powers to soldiers without any judicial review if they suspect any criminal activity''

Edited by Bluespunk