Cambodia or Vietnam

johnny Cage

Hi everyone. After living in Thailand for the past 10 years. I have decided it is time to "go back to my country". I will head home to Australia for a few months then move to either Cambodia or Vietnam. Teaching part-time. Just wondering what are the advantages and disadvantages of both for those who have lived there. I live a very chilled life, don't care much for nightlife. Love to cook, workout and watch movies at home. =) I am sorry if this topic has already been posted. Oh, I am turning 32 by the way. Cheers!

I have been to both.    I would pick Vietnam.     Cambodia is a real basket case.     It is probably the only country in Asia that has a bigger collection of ex-pat losers then  Thailand.     Having said that the average Cambodian seemed pretty decent.    Since it seems you have lots of time why not try both?    A few months in each country then decide.

That's a bit harsh doggy. Sihanoukville has plenty of dead beats but most expats in Phnom Penh are fine. Because Cambodia does not really have a sex industry older expats in Phnom Penh tend to be very sociable and there are not many of them.

Cambodia is not cheap compared to Thailand or Vietnam but visas and drivers licenses are easily available and the people are cool. It must more freedom than most countries in the world.

34 minutes ago, Headphone Jack said:

That's a bit harsh doggy. Sihanoukville has plenty of dead beats but most expats in Phnom Penh are fine. Because Cambodia does not really have a sex industry older expats in Phnom Penh tend to be very sociable and there are not many of them.

Cambodia is not cheap compared to Thailand or Vietnam but visas and drivers licenses are easily available and the people are cool. It must more freedom than most countries in the world.

but surely you would have to agree the crime rate in Vietnam is considerably lower than Cambodia and the Vietnamese police force are far more efficient than in Cambodia? in Vietnam you don't get many instances if at all of bags being snatched off the backs of passengers on the back of motorbikes as you do in Sihanoukville.

Edited by Asiantravel

Cambodia is the true Land of Smiles. Cambodians smile and laugh at just about everything. They are truly nice people. The expat community...people hiding from their ex-lives (and maybe ex-wives). A lot of losers and loners who want to disappear. People who get banned and thrown out of Thailand end up in Cambodia. Vietnam the people are far more aggressive in a business sense, they will not leave you alone. In Vietnam you need to have a goal in mind or the locals will suspect you of being a loafer, if you date a Vietnamese girl...she will expect you to have a good job or at least 3 mediocre jobs. There are no days off in that society. But...the young Viets are educated and forward thinking much more so than anywhere else in the region. Cambodia for hiding and off the beaten track, Vietnam for those who are go getters.

Teaching part time in Cambodia???  u will be earning $10/hour or less

NOTE

except for drinking,smoking cigs and lower end accommodations ....Cambodia is more expensive than Thailand.

although u can eat out western food a bit cheaper than THailand

.... Because Cambodia does not really have a sex industry

100% BS

PS; I lived in Cambodia for a year and travel there at least twice /year but, by far prefer thailand to there.

Edited by phuketrichard

20 hours ago, Spaniel said:

I have been to both.    I would pick Vietnam.     Cambodia is a real basket case.     It is probably the only country in Asia that has a bigger collection of ex-pat losers then  Thailand.     Having said that the average Cambodian seemed pretty decent.    Since it seems you have lots of time why not try both?    A few months in each country then decide.

More expat losers then Thailand ? Always thought Thailand had the largest population of expat/sexpat loser alcoholics then anywhere in the world.

5 hours ago, tonray said:

Cambodia is the true Land of Smiles. Cambodians smile and laugh at just about everything. They are truly nice people. The expat community...people hiding from their ex-lives (and maybe ex-wives). A lot of losers and loners who want to disappear. People who get banned and thrown out of Thailand end up in Cambodia. Vietnam the people are far more aggressive in a business sense, they will not leave you alone. In Vietnam you need to have a goal in mind or the locals will suspect you of being a loafer, if you date a Vietnamese girl...she will expect you to have a good job or at least 3 mediocre jobs. There are no days off in that society. But...the young Viets are educated and forward thinking much more so than anywhere else in the region. Cambodia for hiding and off the beaten track, Vietnam for those who are go getters.

And i thought the expat losers where bad in Thailand. Its not easy getting banned and tossed out of Thailand. Must be some SUPER low life scum there. YUK!!!!!

Edited by Mitkof Island

4 minutes ago, Mitkof Island said:

More expat losers then Thailand ? Always thought Thailand had the largest population of expat/sexpat loser alcoholics then anywhere in the world.

in Cambodia i think it is more an issue of quality over quantity.

some of the slimiest individuals i have ever experienced were in cambodia.

8 minutes ago, HooHaa said:

in Cambodia i think it is more an issue of quality over quantity.

some of the slimiest individuals i have ever experienced were in cambodia.

Well at least slimeballs have a better chance of getting killed off by the locals. Thailand is far too forgiving for the crap the foreigners get away with both male and female.

5 hours ago, tonray said:

Cambodia for hiding and off the beaten track, Vietnam for those who are go getters.

Not a bad summary, though I'd put it a little differently: Cambo for the lifestyle, Vietnam for the jobs and other opportunities. 

2 minutes ago, inventorinthailand said:

How about Philippines then, compare to Thailand?

2 minutes ago, inventorinthailand said:

Thailand has a much better infrastructure but the Philippines actually wants the foreigner and they make it easier to live and work long term.

12 hours ago, Headphone Jack said:

Cambodia does not really have a sex industry????

After living in Hua Hin for just over a year, we moved to Da Nang in Vietnam.  Been here for about 7mths now.  The only thing I miss about Thailand (other than friends) is the food.  You can't beat Thai food!  But everything else here is way much better.  The Vietnamese are highly motivated and are real go-getters  Super friendly also and the expat community also seems to get on better here.  It is very cheap to live and the infrastructure is surprisingly good.  Probably another thing we miss is the availability of a 7/11 on every corner.  Vietnam appears to be a poorer country, and without going out into the sticks, I can't really comment on what it's like in other parts of the country.  Da Nang is also about 1 million population with bucket loads of construction and very few Russians.  Not sure who they are building for as there doesn't appear to be any great influx of tourists at any particular time of the year.  This was obvious in LOS, but not here in Vietnam.  Having only visited Cambodia as a tourist, it is hard to give an opinion one way or the other.  But as my wife is a bit of a princess, she did state no way in hell would she ever move to Cambodia.  The infrastructure was lacking and nothing seems that modern.  I can see the attraction of Cambodia though as the people seemed friendly enough, albeit probably just as poor as the Vietnamese.  From my experience also, the locals in Cambodia seemed to bitch a fair bit about their govt, which is something the Vietnamese rarely seem to do.  I guess you could criticize all 3x country's govts in some way.  Would I go back to live in LOS?  Maybe, but unlikely.  Will we stay in Vietnam?  Highly likely.  Cheers.

49 minutes ago, inventorinthailand said:

I have stayed in Thailand many times for a few months at a time, I visited the Philippines and I am still there 2yrs now. Coppywriter is correct the Philippines is better in many ways to Thailand once you get away from Manila. Visa's are easy nothing like the stupid system in Thailand and lots speak English. The only thing wrong in my view is they drive on the right side of the roads which is the wrong side for me.

1 hour ago, jagfx said:

After living in Hua Hin for just over a year, we moved to Da Nang in Vietnam.  Been here for about 7mths now.  The only thing I miss about Thailand (other than friends) is the food.  You can't beat Thai food!  But everything else here is way much better.  The Vietnamese are highly motivated and are real go-getters  Super friendly also and the expat community also seems to get on better here.  It is very cheap to live and the infrastructure is surprisingly good.  Probably another thing we miss is the availability of a 7/11 on every corner.  Vietnam appears to be a poorer country, and without going out into the sticks, I can't really comment on what it's like in other parts of the country.  Da Nang is also about 1 million population with bucket loads of construction and very few Russians.  Not sure who they are building for as there doesn't appear to be any great influx of tourists at any particular time of the year.  This was obvious in LOS, but not here in Vietnam.  Having only visited Cambodia as a tourist, it is hard to give an opinion one way or the other.  But as my wife is a bit of a princess, she did state no way in hell would she ever move to Cambodia.  The infrastructure was lacking and nothing seems that modern.  I can see the attraction of Cambodia though as the people seemed friendly enough, albeit probably just as poor as the Vietnamese.  From my experience also, the locals in Cambodia seemed to bitch a fair bit about their govt, which is something the Vietnamese rarely seem to do.  I guess you could criticize all 3x country's govts in some way.  Would I go back to live in LOS?  Maybe, but unlikely.  Will we stay in Vietnam?  Highly likely.  Cheers.

They build for the locals. the VN like to travel around and see their own country.

No need for 7/11 franchises on every corner in VN, lots of mom and pop stores around. But there's even some Circle K and Family Marts, and Big C are now invading every major city if you miss that sort of thing.

Edited by LongTimeLurker

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

Neither, go to the Philipines.

5 years in PI, it was dysfunctional then and now with Duterte? I left 10 years ago, never been back 10 years in Cambodia, working, it's a cakewalk.

That said, as always, one man's meat......

Been in Siem Reap for 1 yr and half.  THere are definitely some expat losers here but I find the locals here, that do not scam u to be the most sincere people I have ever met in life. 

Ironically,  the expats that are not losers are the same. 

When u first get here, u get your ass handed to u in every way.  I was very naive.  Now that I have my own circle of happiness and try to be healthy.  It is better than anywhere I have been.

I think a lot of it depends on your own goals. 

In Vietnam u will make more $ teaching english and you do have better ocean fronts. 

If u want to make a living teaching english, u need to got phnom penh.  I dont like the place but never really gave it a chance honestly. 

IMO Vietnam is better for a younger person to make $ and save for retirement

23 minutes ago, freebyrd said:

5 years in PI, it was dysfunctional then and now with Duterte? I left 10 years ago, never been back 10 years in Cambodia, working, it's a cakewalk.

That said, as always, one man's meat......

Similar experience, after 5 years in Manila I came to Bangkok and it was soooooo much better.

Went back to Manila for a visit after a 10 year absence and nothing had improved, it had just gotten worse, whereas Thailand had improved.

Living in the sticks outside of Manila might seem the idyll but do you have any experience of Philippine culture? If you can't get by without a 7/11 forget it, although there will be a Jollibee on every corner.

And I won't even get started on the food!!

Edit: or the crime!!

Edited by LongTimeLurker

1 minute ago, Asiang said:

If someone wants to be close enough to travel to Thailand by car, Cambodia is the best choice.

Actually who cares anything else but a good Internet and cheap western food ? Then Cambodia also seems the best choice.

i can agree with this.  it is so easy here too, good food, and close to thai.. but the more u say this.. the more losers from thai come:) 

1 minute ago, bkkrooftop said:

i can agree with this.  it is so easy here too, good food, and close to thai.. but the more u say this.. the more losers from thai come:) 

But less choice of "good" girls on the Cambodia side...

10 hours ago, tonray said:

..people hiding from their ex-lives (and maybe ex-wives). A lot of losers and loners who want to disappear. 

I often wondered what constitutes a "loser"....I noticed what you think one is. 

Strange how people differ in their opinions...... I would consider a person who picks himself up, decides to change his life and look for new horizons in the hope of finding a more fulfilling life than the one he's had so far....one of life's "winners". Her is a winner for me. When I go home I see the same old moaners, complaining about the weather, the price of things, the lonely life they have and how their family have no time for them. These are the ones who could never find the "bottle" to take a chance and see what's going on in another part of this beautiful world, to search out new horizons.  They never had the courage to do what in my opinion the aforementioned "winners" did.

I gather you think the same about what a "loner" is.....again I beg to differ....

I would describe myself as having been a sociable type of guy until I got fed up to the back teeth of the "self centeredness" of most people I have ever met during my 67 years on this planet, who at the drop of a hat will talk for hours about themselves without coming up for air long enough to ask a single question about the person they are talking to....like...."and what about yourself, tell me what's going on in your life". I often like to crack the joke about the guy who talked for hours about himself and eventually stopped to say..... "hey, that's enough about me, let's talk about you for a change....what do you think about me"?...So now I consider myself one of life's "loners". What that means to me is a person who can get along without seeking out the company of others. A person who enjoys his own company. I would by far rather be a person such as this then being of the type who cannot stick their own company, who almost always needs the company of others, who hates going home to an empty room, who has to sit for hours in pubs or coffee shops in the hope of meeting someone to talk to.

Just my tuppence worth.