Has anyone seen Frozen Turkeys lately?

tuffy

Last year the Thai Govt embargoed  Turkey from the USA, the only ones being sold then around Thanksgiving were from the previous years stock and very expensive.  AFAIK, the embargo is still in effect.

Edited by dddave

Jamieson's have already published their Christmas menu and it doesn't include turkey, just a footnote saying that if turkey happens to become available it will be included at no extra cost. Along with the flying pig presumably.

Don't the pub owners here realise that many other countries sell frozen turkeys? Since American turkey is considered unclean, why not import them from the UK, there's no bird flu there that I'm aware of? Or Germany, or France?

Pub owners and restaurants and even supermarkets are not in the business of importing foods, there are importers that do that

Enterprising importers should see that there are killings to be had but maybe the red tape i setting up new permits/licence for a very seasonal item like turkeys is too much hassle

There are high-end food importers that fly in foods from Europe  every week, even they aren't interested in bringing in European turkeys, maybe the cost would be too much, the Americans turkeys were shipped in and they had shelf life in years, to fly in european turkeys might make the price unreasonable,  

There are some Thai farmers breeding/selling same. But they are at best rubbish small tough not to mention expensive.

One enterprising local farmer to us want's over 500bt a kg.

If it's anything like last year you'll have to clean it yourself as well. 500bt a kg then have to pluck it. The answer to that is you've guessed it pluck it.

Sorry to say it's Chicken, Duck, or Suckling pig, Tip, don't go for Goose they look big but there's no meat on them. Found that out last year when I spent over 2.500bt and it didn't feed 4 peeps.   

Edited by fredob43

5 hours ago, Guderian said:

Jamieson's have already published their Christmas menu and it doesn't include turkey, just a footnote saying that if turkey happens to become available it will be included at no extra cost. Along with the flying pig presumably.

Don't the pub owners here realise that many other countries sell frozen turkeys? Since American turkey is considered unclean, why not import them from the UK, there's no bird flu there that I'm aware of? Or Germany, or France?

I understand that Flying Pig tastes just like turkey. 

5 hours ago, digbeth said:

Pub owners and restaurants and even supermarkets are not in the business of importing foods, there are importers that do that

Enterprising importers should see that there are killings to be had but maybe the red tape i setting up new permits/licence for a very seasonal item like turkeys is too much hassle

There are high-end food importers that fly in foods from Europe  every week, even they aren't interested in bringing in European turkeys, maybe the cost would be too much, the Americans turkeys were shipped in and they had shelf life in years, to fly in european turkeys might make the price unreasonable,  

One of the attractions (for me at least) of the US Butterball turkeys was that they offered a boneless breast roll that could be done in the microwave and, if the directions are followed, turn out quite nice.

Friendship and Villa in Pattaya also used to stock Wisconsin's Johnsonville Italian sausage. That disappeared around the time of the west coast dock strikes and, as far as I know, it has never reappeared. Yes, I have tried various locally produced allegedly Italian sausage. Not even close to the real thing.

7 hours ago, fredob43 said:

There are some Thai farmers breeding/selling same. But they are at best rubbish small tough not to mention expensive.

One enterprising local farmer to us want's over 500bt a kg.

If it's anything like last year you'll have to clean it yourself as well. 500bt a kg then have to pluck it. The answer to that is you've guessed it pluck it.

Sorry to say it's Chicken, Duck, or Suckling pig, Tip, don't go for Goose they look big but there's no meat on them. Found that out last year when I spent over 2.500bt and it didn't feed 4 peeps.   

There should be Ham available

15 hours ago, Guderian said:

They can source them out of Australia, lot quicker and cheaper than the US anyway BUT... what do you expect when staff at Rimping and Tesco Lotus tell you, they don't re-order supplies of ANYTHING, till they Run Out of existing stocks. T.I.T

Foodland used to sell cooked turkeys and hams at Christmas. Be interesting to see what is offered this year. Probably be very expensive but do the trimmings yourself. I save a lot a aggravation by buying KFC gravy. Stuffing and mashed and veggies I do, add cranberry sauce and you're all set.

Edited by akentryan

On 11/4/2016 at 3:33 PM, DGS1244 said:

Rimping Supermarkets in Chiang Mai have frozen Turkeys but at 600 Baht a kilo, smallest they had as over 3500 Baht. Guess no Turkey for Christmas this year.

In that case, RIMPING is very welcome to go get, Plucked...Turkeys.