Yingluck in tears over Bt35-bn civil damages

webfact

Yingluck in tears over Bt35-bn civil damages
By The Nation

y.jpg

Former prime minister Yingluck Shinawatra, front right, talks to and buys rice from farmers in Ubon Ratchathani yesterday.

Former PM visits northeast farmers; some offer to give her financial help over rice scheme

BANGKOK: -- FORMER prime minister Yingluck Shinawatra yesterday made an emotional admission that she might be unable to pay the Bt35 billion in civil liability damages stemming from her government’s corruption-plagued rice pledging scheme.

The current government has issued an administrative order seeking 20 per cent of the estimated total loss incurred by the scheme, which amounts to Bt35 billion.

During her visit to the Northeast yesterday, Yingluck was asked by a farmer in Si Sa Ket what she would do in response to the administrative order.

Full story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30299105

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2016-11-04

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The government must hate this - She clearly is still hugely popular despite their best attempts to discredit and destroy her politically and financially. - "....offer of some farmers to help her to pay part of the civil damages " - Prayut must have spat out his dummy on hearing that news!! 

Edited by jonclark

9 minutes ago, jonclark said:

The government must hate this - She clearly is still hugely popular despite their best attempts to discredit and destroy her politically and financially. - "....offer of some farmers to help her to pay part of the civil damages " - Prayut must have spat out his dummy on hearing that news!! 

And the eyebrows would have been dancing to an angry tune. Everyone in the photo should expect to have their names recorded for being at a gathering of more than 5 persons. 

Edited by Brer Fox

When I see justice like this it makes my day! 

Noone asked her to be PM, well apart from one.

Suppression of rice prices to feed the foreign bank accounts of the elite has been going on for decades.

Time to stand up and fight for your rights peasants of this society.

Edited by Johnniey

24 minutes ago, Johnniey said:

Justice ?  What justice?  She was found guilty by a politically influenced court and a parliament full of shills. Her money is being taken away by article 44.  The people who are in power will never face any questioning of their actions inside of Thailand.  Your idea of "justice" is frivolous.    Justice is suppose to be meted out equally.  

6 minutes ago, yellowboat said:

Justice ?  What justice?  She was found guilty by a politically influenced court and a parliament full of shills. Her money is being taken away by article 44.  The people who are in power will never face any questioning of their actions inside of Thailand.  Your idea of "justice" is frivolous.    Justice is suppose to be meted out equally.  

It never was meted out equally in Thailand.. she went after Abisith and democrats now its her turn to get the other end of the stick. I really hope they take her money for buying votes with a scheme she said did not cost any money and when confronted that it was not self financing she still said it was. Gross negligence (on purpose to buy votes). She could not have said it cost money because otherwise her other vote buying promises could not be financed.

I'm in tears too ... that she got away with paying only 35 Bn THB . It should have been at least 5 times more.

I hope they are keeping an eye on her and not let her flee the country. And start to confiscation of her accounts & property.

7 minutes ago, yellowboat said:

"The scales of justice are always as well balanced as the people using them are"

ah another great thread for the haters... 

you guys can revel in your hate, and ignore the obscenity of the process. That's gonna make you all feel just great even if it is a total breach of justice because, ... Thaksin. Ignore the fascism at work in Thailand. Hate feels great. 

I hope that the N° 1 clown is listening as the farmers offer to help Yingluck pay for the "damages"... 

But I have the feeling that the N°1 clown lacks any and all self-awareness as he pushes on towards revenge. 

Maybe he will fine her a billion $ and then convict her of criminal charges and toss her in the klink, ... 

If that happens, then it will be time to grab the popcorn and watch the fireworks... 

6 minutes ago, robblok said:

It never was meted out equally in Thailand.. she went after Abisith and democrats now its her turn to get the other end of the stick. I really hope they take her money for buying votes with a scheme she said did not cost any money and when confronted that it was not self financing she still said it was. Gross negligence (on purpose to buy votes). She could not have said it cost money because otherwise her other vote buying promises could not be financed.

How dare she go after such pillars of universal suffrage; a non elected Prime Minister and  political sycophant and people who take over airports.  Having government control prices is a bad idea as we can plainly see, but the junta you defend so fervently will never ever face any sort of justice.    They bear NO responsibilities for their actions.  Ying Luck could have been impeached then prosecuted, but that did not happen.  Or have lost an election.  Looks like she would win again today if she were to run. 

Just now, yellowboat said:

How dare she go after such pillars of universal suffrage; a non elected Prime Minister and  political sycophant and people who take over airports.  Having government control prices is a bad idea as we can plainly see, but the junta you defend so fervently will never ever face any sort of justice.    They bear NO responsibilities for their actions.  Ying Luck could have been impeached then prosecuted, but that did not happen.  Or have lost an election.  Looks like she would win again today if she were to run. 

Just saying she did the same things.. go after her enemies.. now its her turn and she lost.  Finally people rose who were powerful enough to end the Shins reign of terror.  I am quite happy its going to end like this.. otherwise never any justice would prevail here. Maybe next time around politicians will be more careful what they do. She hid the costs because the budget would not allow for it. She would have to cut back then and lose votes. It was her way to get in power. To get in power like that deserves to be punished. The democrats just could not outbid her outlandish promises because they were more fiscal sound. 

Anyway its good to watch the sinking ship of the Shins. 

1 minute ago, robblok said:

Anyway its good to watch the sinking ship of the Shins. 

Who will take their place ?  The Shins, as bad as you think they are, are still loved.  The might that makes things right that you love so much may just make them stronger.   That and the juntas poor performance.   

1 hour ago, Johnniey said:

Noone asked her to be PM, well apart from one.

Suppression of rice prices to feed the foreign bank accounts of the elite has been going on for decades.

Time to stand up and fight for your rights peasants of this society.

Ridiculous post though whether through stupidity or dishonesty is difficult to say.Possibly both.

1.Not even a reasonable argument this is justice.Rather an arbitrary politicised move.

2.She was leader of a party which easily won a democratic election by the people of Thailand.

3.Your description of the rice price support policy is not only a lie but a silly one too - because such childish nonsense.

4.The peasantry is a declining proportion of Thai society.Without much broader support the PTP could never win.Yingluck remains even now the most popular politician in the country.

4 minutes ago, yellowboat said:

Who will take their place ?  The Shins, as bad as you think they are, are still loved.  The might that makes things right that you love so much may just make them stronger.   That and the juntas poor performance.   

The Shins not as bad :sick:

I would be loved too if i overspend government money. The Shins are done. 

6 minutes ago, jayboy said:

Ridiculous post though whether through stupidity or dishonesty is difficult to say.Possibly both.

1.Not even a reasonable argument this is justice.Rather an arbitrary politicised move.

2.She was leader of a party which easily won a democratic election by the people of Thailand.

3.Your description of the rice price support policy is not only a lie but a silly one too - because such childish nonsense.

4.The peasantry is a declining proportion of Thai society.Without much broader support the PTP could never win.Yingluck remains even now the most popular politician in the country.

Typical red reply, I was voted in so I can do what I want. Democracy is more then voting, its keeping to rules and regulations. Its not about a off budget scheme that cost the same as the health budget for a year (off books I repeat off books) When confronted that it cost money they lied about it.. she chaired the program, hid the cost and lied about storage. 

Face it Thailand has no real democracy, because just voting is not democracy.. its part of. 

BANGKOK: -- FORMER prime minister Yingluck Shinawatra yesterday made an emotional admission that she might be unable to pay the Bt35 billion in civil liability damages stemming from her government’s corruption-plagued rice pledging scheme.

doesnt she know how much money she has ,MIGHT not be able to pay 

Snip.....

The peasantry are a declining proportion. Forced off their land by the gouging of the agriculture middlemen, they are moving to become landless labourers, ripe for exploitation by the gouging of unscrupulous employers.

12 hours days, 6 days a week, ThB ThB8000 a month.

A recipe for a contended happy population which might well cause a few sleepless nights in years to come.

I think people should get the facts straight. In 2011 when Yingluck ran for office with the rice pledging scheme (I think she would have won even without the scheme) Thailand was the worlds leading exporter of Rice and world market Prices was super high and set to continue to go up. At this time Thailand consumed about 7-8 million tons domestically and 7 - 8 tons was exported.

A week after Yingluck was elected, India lifted its ban on its rice export and flooded the world market with 10 millon tons of rice, Then Vietnam dumped their prices and a year later Thailand was the number three exporter behind India and Vietnam, world market prices continued to plunge. What Thailand should have done then, to punish India and Vietnam, they should have dumped the prices to almost for free as the game was lost anyway with huge losses already incurred. Then India and Vietnam would think twice before they do something stupid like that again.

Now is this all Yinglucks fault???

However, that being said; I do not agree with the scheme in Principe and in its details such as setting the price 50% higher than the market price, that was just stupid, but I do not think Yingluck herself came up with all the stupid details of the scheme.

Edited by AlQaholic

Typical red reply, I was voted in so I can do what I want. Democracy is more then voting, its keeping to rules and regulations. Its not about a off budget scheme that cost the same as the health budget for a year (off books I repeat off books) When confronted that it cost money they lied about it.. she chaired the program, hid the cost and lied about storage. 

Face it Thailand has no real democracy, because just voting is not democracy.. its part of. 

Face it, Thailand has no real democracy because every time a government is voted in, and does anything other than the bidding of the wealthy establishment, it is removed by that establishments military handmaidens.

Face it Robblock, you don't have the slightest interest in the democratic aspirations of the Thai people and their enfranchisement or freedoms. You just want the people you favour in power. Your talk of "democracy and rule of law" is pure posturing.

30 minutes ago, jayboy said:

You are arrogant, breaking forum rules, and downright rude. I'm not engaging with people like you.

7 minutes ago, AlQaholic said:

I think people should get the facts straight. In 2011 when Yingluck ran for office with the rice pledging scheme (I think she would have won even without the scheme) Thailand was the worlds leading exporter of Rice and world market Prices was super high and set to continue to go up. At this time Thailand consumed about 7-8 million tons domestically and 7 - 8 tons was exported.

A week after Yingluck was elected, India lifted its ban on its rice export and flooded the world market with 10 millon tons of rice, Then Vietnam dumped their prices and a year later Thailand was the number three exporter behind India and Vietnam, world market prices continued to plunge.

Now is this all Yinglucks fault???

Her fault is not putting the rice program in the national budget acknowledging it cost money but keeping it cost neutral off books. Even the world bank and others told her it was going to cost money, people came out with figures (and where threatened by her government). She never said it cost money never put it in the national budget (that would have ment scrapping other vote buying promises). I would only have found it a stupid scheme had it been in the books (and a legal one). But by keeping it off books as not to have a too large deficit forcing her to cut other stuff to keep popular she made it illegal. 

Just now, JAG said:

Face it, Thailand has no real democracy because every time a government is voted in, and does anything other than the bidding of the wealthy establishment, it is removed by that establishments military handmaidens.

Face it Robblock, you don't have the slightest interest in the democratic aspirations of the Thai people and their enfranchisement or freedoms. You just want the people you favour in power. Your talk of "democracy and rule of law" is pure posturing.

Nope.. id welcome a democratic government if you can find one. But as long as there are non and they are all self serving i prefer to have the mob in that i dislike the least. 

I get tired of the reds calling their government democratic because it was voted in.. that is just 1 small part of a democracy.. the other parts they never fulfill. 

I am a guest in Thailand. It's internal political and/or criminal reporting is none of

my business. The above writers seem to force themselves into things that belong to the Thai government and it's leaders. If the above writers have so much to say about the goings  on in Thailand perhaps they might take a look at the goings on in the USA that involves some of it's highest ranking "citizens".