Rubber/silicon surface turned sticky, is that the heat?

lkn

I bought a bottle opener with a non-stick rubbery surface.

I’ve had it (in Thailand) for half a year, when suddenly it became very sticky to touch.

I seem unable to clean it, and it’s pretty much universally sticky, so it appears the coating has gone through some sort of transformation.

As I quite like the model, I’m inclined to buy a new one, but I wonder if it becoming sticky is some sort of heat induced reaction? I.e. I should avoid buying this model unless I want to store it in my fridge.

Anyone experienced something similar or know about this phenomenon?

IMG_5473.jpg

I had the same thing happen to my Xbox game controller
and also a laptop,and a mobile phone.
I think the heat just speeds up the process I'll be avoiding any rubber coated products in future.

For a temporary fix try wiping the sticky item with isopropyl alcohol doesn't last long though.

The material is most likely a form of polyurethane synthetic rubber. It can degrade through all sorts of processes, be it water, heat, light or oxygen. Degradation can happen quickly in certain conditions. 

My experience is with rubber coated binoculars and laptops that go sticky and some kitchenware with coating. I once threw a nearly new meat plier in the dishwasher and it came out very sticky. And that was at a mere 50 degrees cycle. So I think the combo of heat and humidity is the cause of the degradation. 

Seems to be one of the "amazing things" of living in the tropics, or maybe just Thailand, like why does all white plastic turn yellow? :saai:

Had same problem with some things. My solution was to scrub the part with washing up liquid to clean it up and then spray with grey primer paint.

I used plastic primer, don't know if its any better than normal primer but thought it might have more flexibility than regular primer.

Guess you could jazz it up a bit by finishing with a color spray if you wanted. I didn't bother just kept the grey color.

:smile:

19 minutes ago, Gulfsailor said:

I once threw a nearly new meat plier in the dishwasher and it came out very sticky. And that was at a mere 50 degrees cycle. So I think the combo of heat and humidity is the cause of the degradation. 

Now you mention it, I do have a knife where the handle feels a wee bit sticky, I guess that’s the same issue. This knife though has a harder (less rubbery) handle, but then, the stickiness is also very mild.

Thanks for all the input, somewhat good to learn that this is a common problem, and no sense trying to exchange the bottle opener, will just have to find one made out of metal or plastic.

Been living here almost 3 years, never had this problem.   Think stainless or other steel and wooden handles.  There is a way...

However as you say. "As I quite like the model, I’m inclined to buy a new one, but I wonder if it becoming sticky is some sort of heat induced reaction? I.e. I should avoid buying this model unless I want to store it in my fridge."

If you indeed quite like the model and are inclined to buy a new one, I'd make some space in the fridge.  Sounds very cool... :smile:

It is very unique.

Edited by joeyg

Second JohnG's alcohol rub solution.  Takes a little elbow grease and attention to detail, but it's worked well for me.

I have all kinds of things with the same problem.  And never had the problem back home- or even in China that I recall.  So I wonder if it's a new material or tacky coating developed since I moved overseas, or something really vile in the Bangkok air. 

Edited by impulse

I wanted to give the alcohol a chance and it certainly seems to dissolve the coating, as touching any part that had been exposed to alcohol made whatever came in touch with it black.

Maybe I could have scrubbed it all off, but I decided it was not worth potentially getting black “coating” all over the place, so I quickly wrapped it in tissue and threw it out.