That One Time Michael Jackson Came to Bangkok 20 Years Ago

rooster59

3 hours ago, possum1931 said:

I would struggle to even name two of his songs. Hundreds of millions liked the Rolling Stones too, and surely you are not going to say Mick Jagger was even a good singer, never mind great. As far as singing is concerned, put Michael Jackson on the same stage as Elvis or Roy Orbison, and he would be greatly shown up no matter how many records he has sold.

"I would struggle to even name two of his songs."

Always amusing to see ignorance of "that awful modern music"  being worn as a badge of honour by the elderly, stuck firmly in their own, long departed, "Golden Age".

Edited by Enoon

KhaonNiaw  is right  it was his second show he cancelled ,at the time I was working  up country ,and as TV said  it was a big thing , all the time "Michal  Jackson  super star"  on Thai  TV  .

Thai's use to say to me are you going to see  Michal Jackson ,not being a  Michal Jackson  fan ,I said  "no ",then they use to say " don't you like black people/ singers",  not a lot  I could say  to  that ,my Thai not being that   good at the time ,but it has always stuck in my mind ,now  being here  for a few years ,it would be a Thai  thing to say ,I would blame the Thai  education system ,again  , inwardly  looking  the whole time .

His autopsy and toxicology screen  make for a great read.

Whatever his psychological  illness(es) and deviancies were,  this is a  man who was living in excruciating pain for much of his life. His joints and spine were worn and damaged from his dancing activity. I suppose we can heap scorn on the man, but where were his detractors when he was 'created" by the manipulative blood sucking family and  hanger ons? He should have been removed  by child protective services when he was 10 years old, but you know, the parents always know best and the government should not interfere in child rearing, right?

1 hour ago, kickstart said:

KhaonNiaw  is right  it was his second show he cancelled ,at the time I was working  up country ,and as TV said  it was a big thing , all the time "Michal  Jackson  super star"  on Thai  TV  .

Thai's use to say to me are you going to see  Michal Jackson ,not being a  Michal Jackson  fan ,I said  "no ",then they use to say " don't you like black people/ singers",  not a lot  I could say  to  that ,my Thai not being that   good at the time ,but it has always stuck in my mind ,now  being here  for a few years ,it would be a Thai  thing to say ,I would blame the Thai  education system ,again  , inwardly  looking  the whole time .

I thought I remembered him performing twice - had to check the reports though. I remember people at work who went to the first concert. And you're right that there was disbelief from people who couldn't understand why you weren't interested. 

Second time around I think his reputation had already been tarnished enough that there were worries about ticket prices and not being able to make it a sell-out

47 minutes ago, silent said:

How about those  jersey boys?

Is that not an island in the UK? What has that got to do with an "entertainer" with a very questionable life style, or

being a boyhood fan of singers of real vocal ability?

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

Is that not an island in the UK? What has that got to do with an "entertainer" with a very questionable life style, or

being a boyhood fan of singers of real vocal ability?

Aye aye matey, but maybe check your compass settings and guess again. I'm talking the bigger island's Joisey tough guys. You know, Frankie singing big boys don't cry and walking/ talking like a man without a walking bass. I didn't care much for Michael back in the days and absolutely hated some of his music after I was so cool making a living playing my precision and hanging around Yorkville with the occasional dodger showing up to study out of the U of T fortified dorm. I guess I'm just not still unsure of myself that I'd feel threatened to admit that little perv had to have had some entertainment talents too. However bent he was.

51 minutes ago, silent said:

Aye aye matey, but maybe check your compass settings and guess again. I'm talking the bigger island's Joisey tough guys. You know, Frankie singing big boys don't cry and walking/ talking like a man without a walking bass. I didn't care much for Michael back in the days and absolutely hated some of his music after I was so cool making a living playing my precision and hanging around Yorkville with the occasional dodger showing up to study out of the U of T fortified dorm. I guess I'm just not still unsure of myself that I'd feel threatened to admit that little perv had to have had some entertainment talents too. However bent he was.

You played a Fender Precision bass? So did I, and also a Fender Jazz and Mustang at various times. Frankie, is that the guy from The Four Seasons? A bit before my time, I did not play until about 1970.

3 hours ago, possum1931 said:

You played a Fender Precision bass? So did I, and also a Fender Jazz and Mustang at various times. Frankie, is that the guy from The Four Seasons? A bit before my time, I did not play until about 1970.

Well there you go then, we still learn something new everyday. I think it was around '73 Rochdale was stormed and closed down. Did you ever play a fretless jazz by chance? I never had  a mustang bass but that might have been because I was partial to the new Z28 at that point in time too 

Have to admit next to Michael J, Frankie and the Four Seasons were my favourites. Let's play what's my line next.

On 05/11/2016 at 5:26 PM, possum1931 said:

Entertainment???? What has that got to do with Michael Jackson?

Well I did read somewhere that when he was to speak at the Oxford Union, most of the audience were there to see if his nose fell off when he sneezed!

11 minutes ago, silent said:

Well there you go then, we still learn something new everyday. I think it was around '73 Rochdale was stormed and closed down. Did you ever play a fretless jazz by chance? I never had  a mustang bass but that might have been because I was partial to the new Z28 at that point in time too 

Have to admit next to Michael J, Frankie and the Four Seasons were my favourites. Let's play what's my line next.

No, not a fretless bass, Oh wait, yes, I played a big double bass once, never again, too sore on my fingers. Did you play professionally? What sort of music did you play?

17 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

No, not a fretless bass, Oh wait, yes, I played a big double bass once, never again, too sore on my fingers. Did you play professionally? What sort of music did you play?

Strings are pretty fat and necks kind of slow on a stand-up aren't they? 

Hey, wasn't that when Thailand had that fake Democracy and the peasants didn't  have access o social media? Those were the good old days. I guess in a sort of Thai political Michael Jackson analogy, Thai politics has morphed into a Freak.