Three found dead in taxi at a Bangkok gas station

rooster59

Three found dead in taxi at a Bangkok gas station

Bangkok.PNG
Image: Daily News

BANGKOK:-- Staff at a NGV fill-up station in Ram Intra found three people unresponsive in a taxi early on Saturday morning.

Police were called and the three occupants of the cab - the driver and two passengers - were found to be already dead.

They were driver Katawut Jainoi, and Miss Janthima Ngambusakornsophon and Miss Rattana Denwiphaipana, both 33 years old.

Staff told police that the taxi had pulled into the station at 3am and it appeared the occupants were intending to sleep. 

They were then seen again by car cleaning staff who arrived at 5am. At 8am they decided to rouse the driver and passengers but could get no response.

Khok Khram police were called and found them all already dead.

Initial reports suggest they had died from gas inhalation.

Source:  Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-11-06

Isn't compulsory, for intrinsic safety reasons, to switch off your car engine at refueling stations. Just as it is compulsory to not smoke, or in fact use a mobile phone.

OK, I know what is deemed compulsory, and which country we're in.

Edited by mankondang
sp

So taxi pulls in at 3:00 am, at 8:00 am let's wake them up. Was the engine still running? 5 hrs? Car parked outside. Most taxis run on LPG. Is CO poisoning possible with LPG? Can a car engine idle for 5 hrs? Why would two female passengers want to kip in a taxi with a male driver? Did they now each other? Just wondering. 

24 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

So taxi pulls in at 3:00 am, at 8:00 am let's wake them up. Was the engine still running? 5 hrs? Car parked outside. Most taxis run on LPG. Is CO poisoning possible with LPG? Can a car engine idle for 5 hrs? Why would two female passengers want to kip in a taxi with a male driver? Did they now each other? Just wondering. 

they most likely died from LPG poisoning more then CO2.

I looked it up and found this on a website:

Inhaling LPG vapor at high concentration even for a short time can cause fainting and/or death.  Inhaling of LPG vapor can cause irritation in nose and throat, headache and nausea, vomiting, dizziness and loss of consciousness.  LPG vapor can cause fainting and choking in closed or poorly ventilated environments.

In case you wanna read the whole page take a look here: http://www.emas.com.tr/en/content/663/lpg-use-and-carbon-monoxide-c0-poisoning

So my guess is that the fuelsystem had a leak inside the car.

59 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

31 minutes ago, Foexie said:

Inhaling LPG vapor at high concentration even for a short time can cause fainting and/or death.  Inhaling of LPG vapor can cause irritation in nose and throat, headache and nausea, vomiting, dizziness and loss of consciousness.  LPG vapor can cause fainting and choking in closed or poorly ventilated environments.

In case you wanna read the whole page take a look here: http://www.emas.com.tr/en/content/663/lpg-use-and-carbon-monoxide-c0-poisoning

and, yes, an engine can idle for 5 hrs if enough fuel

as for the passengers, it probably was a private trip, not a cab on duty.

2 hours ago, wvavin said:

No one is to be blame except the health ministry for failure to educate the motorists.

If they don't have compulsory checks, like annually on the LPG systems, I suggest they get it happening quick smart, e.g. starting as of tomorrow, this is really tragic

although LPG lpg is not classified as a poison and if it was actualy a LPG leak the gasi is heavier than air and would quickly fill up the car,as the passengers were asleep i would assume that their heads were quite low in the car ,as the gas leaked it would displace the air in the car including oxygen so the passengers would suffocate 

Do Thai taxi's need a checkup once a year? Never heard of that.

Also it's weird to see them fill-up CNG, they have the inlet under the hood next to the hot engine. In europe the inlet is at the backside and in a gastight bag with an opening to the outside air.

But also Thai taxi's don't even have electric valves on the gastank and both sides of the gasline.

Tuktuk's also have a manual valve on the tank, so in case of an accident and the tank fly's away it will be spitting gas. An electric valve would automatic close in that case.

16 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Wow, I was not aware of that, not that I sleep in the car with the A/C on, but have thought of taking a cat nap at times when on longer trips, thanks for the article.

A micro sleep whilst driving will kill you and/or others  more quickly

19 hours ago, Foexie said:

CO2 rarely kills, but CO does.

Makes no sense.

I sit in traffic for hours and am not dead.

I have slept in my car before numerous times (as a stupid drunk young guy) and maybe once or twice as an adult for a nap ... 

Does someone know how such a CO leak can happen? How to avoid it? How to detect it?

Educate me, please.

1 hour ago, Minnehaha said:

Makes no sense.

I sit in traffic for hours and am not dead.

I have slept in my car before numerous times (as a stupid drunk young guy) and maybe once or twice as an adult for a nap ... 

Does someone know how such a CO leak can happen? How to avoid it? How to detect it?

Educate me, please.

I would guess a faulty exhaust (in its early segment) or a leaking LPG feed

In both case, while the engine is running, the gas can be sent inside the vehicle by the ventilation system

solution: a car in good condition (like yours, experience proves)

both issues can be detected by competent staff at a well equipped repair shop