fish and chips Chaing Mai

jippytum

16 hours ago, MartinBKK said:

I go to Kelly's very often. I also went there when Charlie was the owner before him. I can't comment on the Fish and Chips because i don't eat that but Mr Kelly is there regularly and and i often chat with him. I believe there was a partnership for a while but now he is running everything on his own again. Personally i think it is very good value for money. There is nothing else like it in the area that i know of. The staff are also very friendly and his wife is a delightful lady. The breakfasts at sausage king are great value but i personally prefer a lighter breakfast (with a light price) and Kelly's does this perfectly in my opinion.

They still close the shop at 6pm.and closed Monday.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

re

Broon sauce on fish? Philistine

yep thats me :)

i was born in a council house in surrey and my mum cooked fish and chips

but we only had heinz tomato sauce and dadies brown sauce in the cupboard and

she had probably never heard of tartare sauce 60 odd years ago ! 

so as i cant get dadies sauce here i use the hp to give my fish a bit of a zing :)

dave2 ... a very happy 67 y o pleb :)

ps ... i also like malt vinegar on my chips sometimes !

hp brown sauce 27 aug 09 2006_01010484.JPG

If my memory serves me right Charlie had cardiac problems.

I seem to remember he went back to UK for treatment, after that stories differ but end up saying that he passed away.

His member of staff Nee who used to work in Sausage King says Charlie passed on but could not remember where she had obtained the information.

john

19 hours ago, sharktooth said:

for fish and chips it's salt, vinegar and rid sauce.

here ya go :)

i went to the loy kratong opening at the three kings monument last night

and on the way there i had the fish at the u n irish to try my new teeth out

the fish was good and they have malt vinegar as well 

dave2

u n irish fish mash 12 nov 16 20161112_162833~01.jpg

loy kratong opening candles for the king three kings monument 12 nov 16 20161112_173857~01.jpg

loy kratong opening candles for the king three kings monument 12 nov 16 20161112_174414~01.jpg

loy kratong opening candles for the king three kings monument 12 nov 16 20161112_174728~01.jpg

10 hours ago, dave2 said:

dave2

loy kratong opening candles for the king three kings monument 12 nov 16 20161112_173857~01.jpg

loy kratong opening candles for the king three kings monument 12 nov 16 20161112_174414~01.jpg

loy kratong opening candles for the king three kings monument 12 nov 16 20161112_174728~01.jpg

"Try my new teeth out." Brilliant. I take it you didn't have a toffee apple for dessert then? :)

On 11/6/2016 at 5:23 PM, sharktooth said:

Really? I found it way over rated and will never go back. The so called "cod" was dry and way over cooked.

Not cod ,its Dorey fish or some name like that .On the subject of fish ,Tesco do Norwegian Salmon for B69 a pack which is great value i think .

11 hours ago, dave2 said:

dave2

The batter looks dreadful no other word to describe it and I suspect the taste wouldnt be that appetising.. Thanks for sharing but I will give it a miss ?

I see the fish and must agree....the batter doesn't look too appetising. 

But where are the chips?

I'll stick with f&c from 'my back yard' out in Mae Rim.  Sure they use dory fish but at 99 baht for 3 fillets and a good pile of chips I'm more than happy.  I supply my own malt vinegar as they don't seem to understand what it is.

Damn I miss good fish and chips from New Zealand..... maybe I'm just pining for the fiords! 

8 minutes ago, stament said:

NZ?????

England is king of the best fish and chips. Burton Road Chippy, Lincoln say no more :-)

Fish and Chip royalty moved to NZ or didn't you hear, chasing the snapper as the cod & haddock supply in the Northern hemisphere became decimated. 

Dave2, "Sarsons" Malt Vinegar not Heinz.

5 hours ago, Paul Catton said:

Fish and Chip royalty moved to NZ or didn't you hear, chasing the snapper as the cod & haddock supply in the Northern hemisphere became decimated. 

Nope and I dont believe that any chippy there could match the famous Burton Road Chippy

16 hours ago, Paul Catton said:

Old news - the fish supplies around the UK are recovering nicely and the current UK quote of 37,376 tonnes of Haddock and 28,541 tonnes of cod should keep the UK happy until the tarrifs are raised further next year.

9 hours ago, jonwilly said:

Fish should be 'Golden' Brown not dirty brown as in latest photo.

Old oil used for cooking.

john

I can assure you that old oil isn't used. We are talking about a fish snd chip shop that in the past 3 years has won best in UK and been runner-up and many other awards. Do you honestly think they would have got those awards if they used old oil?  No, Imthink the colour is more to do with the lighting in thevphoto as everything looks a bit dark.  Feel free to google their achievements.

Last time I was in Lincoln for 5 days I had 3 takaways and 1 dine-in, proof is in the pudding my friend!

On 15 November 2016 at 0:52 AM, Paul Catton said:

A little visual aid to assist with the pining.

http://tobysseafoods.co.nz/

Tobys_Seafood_15.jpg

A sausage with fish and chips what sort of blasphemy is this? Get rid of the decorative parsley as it doesnt add anything to the meal and the sausage, and get a bigger piece of fish. Chips look nice and batter on the fish which is very important, perhaps slightly under done for my liking.

On 09/11/2016 at 3:46 PM, Mekong Bob said:

I asked Kelly's cooks which fish they use.  "Dory" (Pangasius).  No thanks.

Nonesence, their menu's all state cod and anyone who's ever eaten there will be able to see it's cod, the difference between dory and cod is a million miles.

1 hour ago, stament said:

A sausage with fish and chips what sort of blasphemy is this? Get rid of the decorative parsley as it doesnt add anything to the meal and the sausage, and get a bigger piece of fish. Chips look nice and batter on the fish which is very important, perhaps slightly under done for my liking.

Blasphemy for some, poor mans surf and turf for others.

Parsley is the healthy greens that we're told we must eat.

Agree the batter would be more appealing a shade darker.

1 hour ago, Paul Catton said:

Blasphemy for some, poor mans surf and turf for others.

Parsley is the healthy greens that we're told we must eat.

Agree the batter would be more appealing a shade darker.

Wouldn't peas or mushy peas be better than parsley surely for your healthy greens requirement? :whistling: