fish and chips Chaing Mai

jippytum

5 hours ago, Paul Catton said:

Onion gravy, chip shop curry, Hollands pies /steam pudding need honourable inclusion, a pickled egg for anyone South of the Watford gap.

I was 21 before I realized meat pies and pizzas weren't supposed to be deep fried. As the Scotland fans sang at the Italian fans "we're gonnae deep fry your pizzas, deep fry your pizzas."

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19 hours ago, jonwilly said:

Is the owner of Kelly's still associated with the shop he set up ?

Fish & Chips where good in the early days but then he got into 'Health' foods and next he had vanished and his 'Wife' seemed to be running the operation.

Last saw him in Sausage King some years later, in company with some lady who was not his 'Wife'.

If he's back in charge then maybe a visit is back on.

john

The owner was an Australian I believe. Nice guy. I still see him cycling around Sansai at least once a week. He did all the cooking and the fish was excellent when he owned it. He sold to another guy from the U.K. who drove an Alpha Romeo convertible. The fish improved slightly and the Christmas pudding with vanilla sauce was to die for, but everything else on the menu went downhill and was tasteless. I honestly don't think the food was seasoned at all. It was so bland. Then he disappeared a good two years ago and the place was/is run by a couple of older Thai ladies.  The prices went up quite a bit and and the quality went way down.  I would not go back again. There used to be a good number of farangs sitting there eating breakfast, but now it's a ghost town.

Must admit I never knew of the Shop 'Kelly's' until the ex submariner took over.

He was a former submariner passed the 'Watertight' doors test and I can place the very nice Alfa outside.

His Fish & Chips where excellent and I also liked the 'trimmings' of Brit food he had on sale.

He developed a Thing about health foods and then did a runner leaving his "wife' in charge.

Standards dropped and I became aware of Sausage King in that area.

Rob of SK is a decent bloke one I can get along with. He employed Charlie's former cook, Nee, she remembered me as an old customer of Charlie and their F&C was good.

Kelly's wife killed the business allowing 'Thai Ways' in, same problem as Ray had in Offshore with his wife's Thai relatives.

I have not had a night out in BKK since 2004 but a mate informed me that about 3 years ago Ray retired and sold out to the Dutchman who had owned several diners in the Soi 23 area.

If the F&C place in Dave's photos is the Dutch mans new idea of a Chippy I do not know but from the Dirty Brown offering he does not know how too cook Fish & Chips Brit Style.

john

Edited by jonwilly

The ex mariner of Kelly fame lives out in Mae Rim.  I am led to believe he may still have a vested interest in the business. ie.... he sold the business a few years back, then when the quality took a dive the new owner sold it back to him.

He paid a lot less to get the business back apparently.  

I tried his Atlantic cod quite a while ago and although a tad expensive it was very tasty.

re

I tried his Atlantic cod quite a while ago and although a tad expensive it was very tasty.

this was kellys fish chips and mushy peas in january 2011

and it was ok but ive not been out to meechock plaza for a ling time

dave2 

kellys fish chips and mushy peas 21 jan 11 2011_01250047.JPG

kellys meechock plaza 21 jan 11  2011_01250042.JPG

Many years ago mid 80's I was discussing North Sea Cod with Ray in the Offshore .

Can't get it anymore says I.

Talk to guy next to you says Ray.

The guy was the Rep for Diagio and he says

No shortage of North Sea Cod, but my company buys all it can and exports it  for theirs more profit overseas then in UK.

I know the Pub used NS Cod until he change on grounds of cost to a  'Local' white fish but kept same price.

Cod is the only fish for Battered Fish.

When I wuz a kid NS cod was loaded on to trains and dispatched to my local station, then out to the Chippy same day as caught.

Young lads would turn up with cardboard boxes and buy 10-20 portions for mill workers who never left their machines.

The food of the Working Class in my day.

john

Along with Pies.

19 hours ago, sharktooth said:

I was 21 before I realized meat pies and pizzas weren't supposed to be deep fried. As the Scotland fans sang at the Italian fans "we're gonnae deep fry your pizzas, deep fry your pizzas."

Plus that Scottish delicacy, the deep fried Mars bar. 

regards Worgeordie

The Cod sold as Atlantic,is in fact Pacific Cod, processed in China,  

but its the best for fish and chips,you will find here,some is OK,

next time not so good,bought one fillet when thawed out was 

like it had been freeze dried,like piece of Balsa wood,inedible.

Makro does import Mackerel from Norway,but I suppose the

Cod,Haddock,Whiting are just too expensive to import.

regards worgeordie

On 8 November 2016 at 2:09 PM, Paul Catton said:

Back in the year 1980, I was the operator (not owner, nor involved in the logistics behind conception) of the first western "fish and chip shop" in Saudi Arabia, it was based in Riyadh, and three species of fish were imported by a local cold store operation in addition to other UK marketable offerings requested by other clients.

Cod, Haddock and Plaice were the choice of offerings.

Within production of simple " fish and chips" in an overseas envroment comes many variables to provide consistency of dining pleasure and required repeat custom.

First and foremost is the batter upon the fish, is it plain simple and used as medium to protect the flesh of fish through cooking process or with added eggs for substance, or yet again breaded?

Next comes choice of frying medium.

Vegetable extracted -  Canola, Soy etc.

Animal based - Lard or Dripping.

The most significant part is the availability of a consistent all year round supply of fresh potatoes, which in an overseas environment when locally grown, the starch in potatoes turns to sugar and blackens the chips.

Should you be able to have a decent chip, are you then rejected upon size.

Shoestring, French Fry, Chip or Wedge.

Been there, done that, would I venture again, maybe.

You're full of surprises aren't you.... ?

17 hours ago, stament said:

You're full of surprises aren't you.... ?

Many strings that fit this bow, or plenty an arrow in the quiver.

On a serious note though, it would be nice to have a bona fide representation of UK style "fish and chips" in Chiang Mai, but could it be sustainable by regular patronage?

Don't believe the number of homesick expats, or tourists wanting a break local cuisine looking for familiarity, bolstered with "local" patrons could sustain fixed premises for this focussed cuisine.

Without the focus comes the need for diversification, burgers, hot dogs, pizza & Thai food etc, and with that comes a reduced standard of fare across the board trying to meet and failing expectations.

I personally would fit out three TukTuks or Songthaews (VW Combis too expensive) as mobile kitchens serviced by a central base.

I could be wrong, and expect 5000 fiesty UK expats to register angst demanding fixed premises with ability for bums on seats

Edited by Paul Catton

u r certainly correct, balo.  F&C can be made at home, but i do not care for all that hot, volitle oil in the air, on the windows, the countertops and the floor so i'll go out for my F&C and let u clean up.

Yes, much better to get all that oil into your blood stream.

I go to Kelly's very often. I also went there when Charlie was the owner before him. I can't comment on the Fish and Chips because i don't eat that but Mr Kelly is there regularly and and i often chat with him. I believe there was a partnership for a while but now he is running everything on his own again. Personally i think it is very good value for money. There is nothing else like it in the area that i know of. The staff are also very friendly and his wife is a delightful lady. The breakfasts at sausage king are great value but i personally prefer a lighter breakfast (with a light price) and Kelly's does this perfectly in my opinion.

1 hour ago, dave2 said:

i had the fish in batter and mash at the u n irish the other day ,

it was huge and tasted good with h p sauce on it :)

dave2

u n irish batterd fish and mash 9 nov 16 DSC05829.jpg

We just returned from The UNI Pub...., and had that same FnC with beer batter. Excuse me but I reckon it was barely ok..., but the mashed potato was authentic and the beer was very cold !  
I hope y'all have a Triffids evening !

Edited by Sandy Freckle

Okajhu does a nice light F&C using Dory strips, very tasty. Also, I was in the North of England last week, on the coast and was excited at the prospect of good F&C. Most disappointed, the cod was tasteless (from two different shops), others put it down to the "healthy" oil used for frying these days. Three Pounds fifty for a small F&C, 6.50 for large, both were big enough to feed a small Thai village.

I was having breaky in Sausage King two weeks ago and a Brit who had just returned from UK quoted 9 Quid for F & C mind you that was down London.

Rachel Koo the UK cook was doing a stint in a London F & C chop and very good she said, the owner still insisted on using Dripping, as it was in times gone bye.

john

Enjoy!

Dripping, also known usually as beef dripping or, more rarely, as pork dripping, is an animal fat produced from the fatty or otherwise unusable parts of cow or pig carcasses. It is similar to lard, tallow and schmaltz.

11 minutes ago, jobin said:

Enjoy!

Dripping, also known usually as beef dripping or, more rarely, as pork dripping, is an animal fat produced from the fatty or otherwise unusable parts of cow or pig carcasses. It is similar to lard, tallow and schmaltz.

Lovely, just the job, fond memories of dripping sandwiches from my childhood.

1 hour ago, jonwilly said:

I was having breaky in Sausage King two weeks ago and a Brit who had just returned from UK quoted 9 Quid for F & C mind you that was down London.

Rachel Koo the UK cook was doing a stint in a London F & C chop and very good she said, the owner still insisted on using Dripping, as it was in times gone bye.

john

If you get large of everything in Kelly's.chips fish  it cost nearly 8/9 quid now