fish and chips Chaing Mai

jippytum

On my last visit i often purchased fish and chips from Dee's mobile kitchen . I have been unable to find him this year does anyone know what happened to him? . Can anyone please recommend their favorite  location in Chiang Mai for fish and chips 

thanks

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I too miss Dee as he came around my corner for years, across from the Corner Bistro.  Now some overpriced burrito cart is there, once a week.  

Best F&C, IMO, considering taste, quantity, cost, = total experience is: Gekko Garden on Friday night.  A good feed for 115 baht, which cannot be beaten by any shop in north T'land.

21 minutes ago, jobin said:

I too miss Dee as he came around my corner for years, across from the Corner Bistro.  Now some overpriced burrito cart is there, once a week.  

Best F&C, IMO, considering taste, quantity, cost, = total experience is: Gekko Garden on Friday night.  A good feed for 115 baht, which cannot be beaten by any shop in north T'land.

Lets correct a few of the usual inaccuracies ( so many on here!)

1. Dee has not gone out of business, but he has moved to one of the holiday islands. Sadly missed his food was good and well cooked.

2. Unless there are two, and I doubt that, the mobile burrito van will be "Border Run". If its them they charge 100 baht for an excellent and big sized burrito. Definitely not over priced, in fact good value.

3. Best fish n chips in Chiang Mai right now? (OK this is the subjective bit), Yummy Pizza, 220 baht but you get two pieces of proper cod, not that horrible tillapia fish that the cheapskates serve.

And precisely how to know if 'proper cod' or other fish?  We ain't in Portsmouth, UK, you may have noticed.

And what the hello is the difference if proper or improper fried fish?  What GG serves looks great, tastes great, maybe nutritionally as good as cod and for your consideration, read this:

Threatened Fish Species to Avoid Eating. With fish like cod, haddock and grouper now listed as endangered by the IUCN, many people are worried about eating them. Other concerns for divers are those fish which are associated with high levels of by-catch. 

And GG is in town, not out in the countryside.  And GG costs about HALF the money.  Case closed.

Been a while since we had a decent thread on the board.

Yummy is the best on offer at the moment, Kelly's was very good but he lost intrest and I don't know what became of him.

By all accounts Charlie has passed on, certainly left CM.

A few others try, very trying but Fish is Cod, North Sea or Icelandic and Chips should be double fried and Mushy Peas can only be made from Marrowfat none of the mashed peas foster on us by many.

john 

14 hours ago, sirmud63 said:

yep , ran out of customers . dont think hes doing it anymore .

DELETED

I'll try again. You are incorrect, Dee has moved to Hat Yai even though he was busy in CM and is still doing very well. 

Edited by seedy
Discuss Moderation

14 hours ago, sirmud63 said:

yep , ran out of customers . dont think hes doing it anymore .

DELETED

Dee would often Sell Out in Chiang Mai  he moved to a busier location in Hua Hin I Believe

Papa Rocks is the best now and its every friday GREAT DEAL and proper chips 

Edited by seedy
FLAMING

4 hours ago, jobin said:

What GG serves looks great, tastes great, maybe nutritionally as good as cod and for your consideration, read this:

And GG is in town, not out in the countryside.  And GG costs about HALF the money.  Case closed.

Straight out of the Makro (Aro brand) bags. Chips too. I've seen them coming in. Haven't been in years. Not bad considering...

Edited by elektrified

8 hours ago, DiamondKing said:

DELETED

Dee would often Sell Out in Chiang Mai  he moved to a busier location in Hua Hin I Believe

Papa Rocks is the best now and its every friday GREAT DEAL and proper chips 

DELETED

You're right he did sell out on many occasions before he was due to finish.

He actually moved to Hat Yai and is doing as well as CM

And yes, Papa Rocks do a great Friday Special

Edited by seedy
Discuss Moderation

Sorry to say, Papa Rock not a patch on Yummy. Everythings always slipshod at Papa Rock cos Nickys in the kitchen cooking, bless his heart, while that dippy (drugged up?) ex of his is out front not seeming to know what the heck is going on!

Papa Rock charges 250 for fish n chips, including mushy peas. Yummy charges 220 but no mushy peas. Last time I went to Papa I got no mushy peas "dont have today..." but I still got charged 250!

For me both the way the fish is fried, and the chips better at Yummy. Papa Rock uses those horrible big fat chips from a freezer bag which are quite unsuitable for fish n chips.

1 minute ago, EL159 said:

Sorry to say, Papa Rock not a patch on Yummy. Everythings always slipshod at Papa Rock cos Nickys in the kitchen cooking, bless his heart, while that dippy (drugged up?) ex of his is out front not seeming to know what the heck is going on!

Papa Rock charges 250 for fish n chips, including mushy peas. Yummy charges 220 but no mushy peas. Last time I went to Papa I got no mushy peas "dont have today..." but I still got charged 250!

For me both the way the fish is fried, and the chips better at Yummy. Papa Rock uses those horrible big fat chips from a freezer bag which are quite unsuitable for fish n chips.

Well, I do need to try Yummy then, Papa Rock Friday Special on F&C are 125 /150 ? Baht and I found the chips were very good, not sure if they're  frozen as they have the skin on and tasted good, the mushy peas and tartar sauce were good as well.

16 minutes ago, pgthompson said:

Well, I do need to try Yummy then, Papa Rock Friday Special on F&C are 125 /150 ? Baht and I found the chips were very good, not sure if they're  frozen as they have the skin on and tasted good, the mushy peas and tartar sauce were good as well.

Agreed, friday special 125 instead of 250....but you basically only get half the amount of fish, hence the half price!

16 minutes ago, EL159 said:

Agreed, friday special 125 instead of 250....but you basically only get half the amount of fish, hence the half price!

Like I've said, I will try Yummys, but the Papa Rock special is adequate for me, two pieces of fish, chips, mushy peas, tartar sauce and salad.

I'm 5' 10" and 15 stone and the special does me for lunch.

12 minutes ago, Flanno said:

If you get tired of too much fish n chips I believe Dukes does a good pizza.

If tired of fish and chips, I think a Shepherds' Pie or a Stew would be next. Pizza is one of those foreign foods.

Try "Oh Kajhu"

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g293917-d8564135-Reviews-Oh_Kajhu-Chiang_Mai.htmlA

Maybe not academic recipe but for 200 b with the fresh fish fillets, perfect tartar sauce and everything plentiful.

Porc ribs are fabulous also in this place where many posh Thais goes every evening.