fish and chips Chaing Mai

jippytum

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Memory says that use of 'Old Newspapers' as wrapping went out in mid 50's when Krushev (spelling mi Macs playing up) the Top Man in Russia visited UK and requested F&C, The Working Mans staple,  when making a night time trip around London.

He was served his F&C in a well vinegar soaked bag made of the previous Sundays News of The Screws.

Brit Civil Servants had a heart attack unlike me who Thrived on F&C served in old , vinegar soaked newspaper.

john

That was back in the day when the Labour Party sang

The WORKING mans flag is deepest Red stained with the blood of workers dead.

These days it's 

The Peoples Flag ! no workers left in UK.

A bit off topic I know and outwith the common plaice but as I think this topic has nearly had its chips as it has been battered to death, I thought I might add a few extra condiments (sorry comments)  before it is all wrapped up.

Here are a couple of famous shop names, My apologies to Gonzo for the Pun (Puns);

The Cod Father

A Salt and Battery

The Frying Scotsman

Oh My Cod

Fishcotheque,

A Salt N Battered,

Frying Nemo

Fin City

A Fish Called Rhondda

Chip-in-Dales

Fishy Business

The Happy Friar

Sole Plaice

PS; My Uncle was still using old newspapers as the outer wrapping to the ‘greaseproof’ inner wrappings in the early eighties in his shop in Glasgow.

Edited by scottiejohn

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I am trying to find cold sea-water fish in Chiangmai for use in Fish and Chips. Fresh is unlikely and I can make do with frozem. I would like Haddock or Cod. The latest post I can find on the subject is from July last year. Somebody please update me.

4 minutes ago, Maybole said:

I am trying to find cold sea-water fish in Chiangmai for use in Fish and Chips. Fresh is unlikely and I can make do with frozem. I would like Haddock or Cod. The latest post I can find on the subject is from July last year. Somebody please update me.

You might be better off to open your own topic for uptodate info rather than tacking on the end of this one 6 months old.

3 hours ago, Maybole said:

Are you looking at personal/home consumption or a commercial business supply?

You might be better off to open your own topic for uptodate info rather than tacking on the end of this one 6 months old.

Huh? Isn't consolidating all existing information better than having numerous threads on the same topic scattered all over the forum? 

If they say a fish is cod, it's most likely not cod. Cod populations collapsed in the early 90s and have never recovered. Rising temperatures in spawning areas has been identified as a contributing cause, but suffice it to say that if you see cod on the menu, it's some other kind of fish. 

Macro now stock Pollock. I am told this is a sea water fish.  But if it's a deep water fish I don't know.

It's only 65 baht per kilo and IMHO  it's not too bad. Most local fish is Dolly or Dory fish which in reality is Pangasius.  Not the most sort after fish and possibly one of  the worst farmed fish.

However I have found the Pollock to be acceptable.  

Back home one of my favorite restaurant meals was fried catfish and onion rings.  Many of those fish were farm raised, maybe all of them. So, IMO, the need for ocean fish on the plate is misguided and incorrect.

But, yes, not all fresh water fish are as good as catfish.  Tilapia is popular, must be easy to raise but tasty fried...i don't know.

Suggest anyone looking for suppliers ask at Gekko Garden as he has the 'near perfect' plate of fish and chips, in CM.  

Dunno about that.  According the Wiki, over 760,000 tonnes are still harvested yearly.

11 hours ago, Trujillo said:

Huh? Isn't consolidating all existing information better than having numerous threads on the same topic scattered all over the forum? 

If they say a fish is cod, it's most likely not cod. Cod populations collapsed in the early 90s and have never recovered. Rising temperatures in spawning areas has been identified as a contributing cause, but suffice it to say that if you see cod on the menu, it's some other kind of fish. 

On 5/17/2017 at 6:10 AM, jobin said:

Back home one of my favorite restaurant meals was fried catfish and onion rings.  Many of those fish were farm raised, maybe all of them. So, IMO, the need for ocean fish on the plate is misguided and incorrect.

But, yes, not all fresh water fish are as good as catfish.  Tilapia is popular, must be easy to raise but tasty fried...i don't know.

Suggest anyone looking for suppliers ask at Gekko Garden as he has the 'near perfect' plate of fish and chips, in CM.  

Supplier = Makro. I've seen the bags coming in...

Edited by elektrified

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/17/2017 at 7:10 AM, jobin said:

You've re-awakened my interest now...., I'll just have to go and try their f n c..., albeit, in a few weeks when I return.

Edited by Sandy Freckle