fish and chips Chaing Mai

jippytum

Flaming Posts and Posts Discussing Moderation Edited

Forum Rule -

10) Do not discuss moderation publicly in the open forum; this includes individual actions, and specific or general policies and issues. You may send a PM to a moderator to discuss individual actions or email support (at) thaivisa.com to discuss moderation policy.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also found the food at Kelly's quite variable. Last time we went one piece of fish was good, the other too thin at the edges, overcooked, dry and tasteless. A sizable proportion of the chips were inedible too, too thin, too small and thus had overcooked compared to the chips that you'd consider to be of regular size. Way too many broken rock hard end bits. Won't be going again for sure.

Papa Rocks always seems to lack atmosphere for me on the non music nights. Plus they used to use those wedges, not chips, at least that's what came with the burgers. If they're the same with the fish n chips that'd be a no no for me. It's fish n chips. Not fish n wedges.

Sent using Tapatalk

re

If they're the same with the fish n chips that'd be a no no for me. It's fish n chips. Not fish n wedges. 

here ya go :)

papa rocks fish and ????? well you decide ... sent from a friends phone last month !

dave2

ps .. some of papa rocks food is being sold from basic bar in soi 1 loi kroh road now ! 

papa rocks fish and chips from tony 7 oct 16 20161107101305.jpg

club bar basic promotions 9 aug 13 2013-08-09 15.55.49.jpg

re

Is there such a thing as fake mushy peas?

yes there is ( ... its sold in the fish and ship shop ( yes its spelt like that )

150 yards from soi cowboy in bangkok .... and its awfull :(

the fish and mash there are great but the mushy peas i tried on the way back from vietnam last month were yuk !

dave2

bangkok fish and ship shop cod mash mushy peas 3 oct 16 20161003_180200.jpg

soi cowboy fish and ship shop bangkok 6 apr 16 220160406_220103.jpg

Dave the F&C is your first photo have been cooked in OLD Oil used to cook burgers,sausage and heaven knows what, hence the dirty brown colour.

Mushy Peas for the uninformed are made from Marrow Fat peas.

Many places cook garden peas and then MASH them claiming them to be Mushy which they are not.

An old mate of mine in BKK spent three years hunting down Marrow Fat peas and he owned/ran The Offshore Fish and Chip shop, now long gone.

john 

Edited by jonwilly

re

Dave the F&C is your first photo have been cooked in OLD Oil used to cook burgers,sausage and heaven knows what, hence the dirty brown colour.

ive no idea about that as i didnt go to papa rocks or eat them in the pic

this is what i remember mushy peas in england used to look like

and were still served in morrisons shop in reading england last year

what i had in bangkok was a solid dry lumpy paste consistancy

and awfull :(

dave2 

bangkok england reading trip morrisons supermarket fish chips mushy peas 8 aug 15 20150808_130856.jpg

2 hours ago, true blue said:

Pease pudding please

My old Dad was a Londoner, born & bred in Bermondsey, and he did love his pease-pudding !

I think they used to give it to them regularly, when he was a naval-rating, at the tail-end of WW2 ? Certainly it was served in the old sailing-ship navy.

Similarly when I worked in Stockholm, they used to love pea-soup-day in the cafeteria, I think it was a regular item whilst doing national-service ?

A lot of fish  on offer is called Dory fillets.This is total misleading in relation to real John Dory. Dory fillets as sold in Makro and other supermarkets are simply farmed catfish,tasteless and of doubtful quality.Google it if you don't believe me its been discussed ad nauseum for years,especially the Vienamese industry

Real John Dory,an ocean species, as we used to experince in Australia is now such a high price it could hardly be sold for anything less than 500 baht here  if you import  it.

I raised this matter once with the manager at Makro,Hang Dong who just happened to be checking the sea food section and he was quite aware that advertising fish as Dory was misleading to many.The word "John" was actually deleted from packaging many years ago

Best fish from a long time ago ,if you were Australian, was beer battered "flake " which was shark fillets, now a protected species and no longer available.Great taste ,no bones.

re

Is it only working class northeners that like mushy peas ?

nah .. i like them and i was born in surrey !

the un irish used to do a nice fish in batter but they now do a huge

bit of fish in breadcrumbs as well and their mash is good :)

dave2

un irish fish chips 13 nov 12 2012-11-13 16.30.25.jpg

un irish breaded fish mash 1 nov 16 20161101_171654~01.jpg

38 minutes ago, Sparkles said:

A lot of fish  on offer is called Dory fillets.This is total misleading in relation to real John Dory. Dory fillets as sold in Makro and other supermarkets are simply farmed catfish,tasteless and of doubtful quality.Google it if you don't believe me its been discussed ad nauseum for years,especially the Vienamese industry

Real John Dory,an ocean species, as we used to experince in Australia is now such a high price it could hardly be sold for anything less than 500 baht here  if you import  it.

I raised this matter once with the manager at Makro,Hang Dong who just happened to be checking the sea food section and he was quite aware that advertising fish as Dory was misleading to many.The word "John" was actually deleted from packaging many years ago

Best fish from a long time ago ,if you were Australian, was beer battered "flake " which was shark fillets, now a protected species and no longer available.Great taste ,no bones.

Omited .........".Pangasius" is the Dory of Thailand.

Digressing slightly the owner of Kelly's is a real character his face book page is a eye opener especially why he give up hugely successful award winning chain of fish and chip shops in UK. To come to Los he was also a chief tiffy on nuclear submarines in Scotland.

5 minutes ago, true blue said:

Digressing slightly the owner of Kelly's is a real character his face book page is a eye opener especially why he give up hugely successful award winning chain of fish and chip shops in UK. To come to Los he was also a chief tiffy on nuclear submarines in Scotland.

So he doesn't need a microwave & can cook in the dark ?

Is the owner of Kelly's still associated with the shop he set up ?

Fish & Chips where good in the early days but then he got into 'Health' foods and next he had vanished and his 'Wife' seemed to be running the operation.

Last saw him in Sausage King some years later, in company with some lady who was not his 'Wife'.

If he's back in charge then maybe a visit is back on.

john

11 hours ago, true blue said:

if he had such a successful and award winning shop in the UK, how come we arent seeing the same quality here? Cost, I presume

3 hours ago, jonwilly said:

Is the owner of Kelly's still associated with the shop he set up ?

Fish & Chips where good in the early days but then he got into 'Health' foods and next he had vanished and his 'Wife' seemed to be running the operation.

Last saw him in Sausage King some years later, in company with some lady who was not his 'Wife'.

If he's back in charge then maybe a visit is back on.

john

maybe it was his wife..... things change.... :whistling:

Edited by stament

So no one knows what has become of Mr Kelly.

His wife was running the operation and Thai Ways crept in, hence not being the same as before.

Kelly's where doing good F&C but after he vanished the standards dropped.

We lost Charlie who had set the high standard required Kelly came along and now Toni at Yummy as leader of the pack.

Fish Chips and Mushy peas is what came out of north of UK a slice or two of Bread & Butter all served with Malt Vinegar and salt is all that we need.

john

5 minutes ago, jonwilly said:

So no one knows what has become of Mr Kelly.

His wife was running the operation and Thai Ways crept in, hence not being the same as before.

Kelly's where doing good F&C but after he vanished the standards dropped.

We lost Charlie who had set the high standard required Kelly came along and now Toni at Yummy as leader of the pack.

Fish Chips and Mushy peas is what came out of north of UK a slice or two of Bread & Butter all served with Malt Vinegar and salt is all that we need.

john

Onion gravy, chip shop curry, Hollands pies /steam pudding need honourable inclusion, a pickled egg for anyone South of the Watford gap.

On 07/11/2016 at 1:59 PM, jonwilly said:

Many places cook garden peas and then MASH them claiming them to be Mushy which they are not.

An old mate of mine in BKK spent three years hunting down Marrow Fat peas and he owned/ran The Offshore Fish and Chip shop, now long gone.

john 

Dried marrowfat peas.

...and don't get me started about the Offshore Bar...

1 hour ago, Mekong Bob said:

I won't eat the Mekong catfish (Pangasius or Panga fish) used in Thailand in fish 'n' chips shops.

Waiting for a shop that will feature Atlantic Cod fish (available in frozen form at Rimping).  Expensive, but delicious!

Back in the year 1980, I was the operator (not owner, nor involved in the logistics behind conception) of the first western "fish and chip shop" in Saudi Arabia, it was based in Riyadh, and three species of fish were imported by a local cold store operation in addition to other UK marketable offerings requested by other clients.

Cod, Haddock and Plaice were the choice of offerings.

Within production of simple " fish and chips" in an overseas envroment comes many variables to provide consistency of dining pleasure and required repeat custom.

First and foremost is the batter upon the fish, is it plain simple and used as medium to protect the flesh of fish through cooking process or with added eggs for substance, or yet again breaded?

Next comes choice of frying medium.

Vegetable extracted -  Canola, Soy etc.

Animal based - Lard or Dripping.

The most significant part is the availability of a consistent all year round supply of fresh potatoes, which in an overseas environment when locally grown, the starch in potatoes turns to sugar and blackens the chips.

Should you be able to have a decent chip, are you then rejected upon size.

Shoestring, French Fry, Chip or Wedge.

Been there, done that, would I venture again, maybe.