AIRBNB, is it clearly forbidden to rent your room daily where you live ? Anybody doing it anyway ?

Asiang

Hello,

I am wondering if it is often forbidden to rent a room daily in some buildings ?

In Europe we usually do not have the dogs waiting at the reception, so we can do what we want, but here it seems more difficult ?

Any experience ?

Thanks.

Banned where I live under 30 days. I always rent mine out when I travel overseas, nice to have an extra income flow. Airbnb just adds an extra short term option to condo owners that don't want to rent out long term

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

The sign in the foyer in my condo building says, "short term rental is illegal under the Hotel act, the Immigration act and the Condominium act, also the Bylaws of the condo block".

As a condo owner in various projects in Bangkok ie Rhythm Ratchada, Rhythm Sukhumvit, Rhythm Huay-Kwang, Centric Ratchada, Ideo Sapan Kwai, The Room Lardphrao etc, we have made sure that other owners do not rent out on a daily basis and the appointed juristic bodies have put up signs and we all make it a point to look out beside the appointed staff to make sure that no "arse" owner disobeys and do the same. The reason is for security purposes and also most of the daily renters make use of the common facilities ie the pool etc daily and mess up the common areas.Long term rentals with proper documentation and local police and  immigration notification is ok. We normally have the juristic committee report the matter to the local police or immigartion straigth away first. On the contrary, most of the receptionists are not "dogs" but are there to ensure security and that there are no strange characters up to no good at these buildings ie drug courriers, peodophiles, prostituition rings etc or unscruplous owners up to no good.One thing taht we have also done is to get the staff to check the air bnb sites to see any units listed in our properties and have them reported.

Aside from being illegal, think about the impact it has on people who actually live in the complex. I see short term renters every day, looking for hotel reception at 2am, asking the security staff where is reception, complaining at the condo office that the remote for the TV needs batteries, leaving empty beer bottles at the pool for the hotel staff to clean up. The best one is when they try and order drinks off the cleaner/gardeners. A lot of these people book on airBnB, agoda, booking.com "AND" they think they are staying at a hotel. They get quiet put out when security, the condo office, the cleaner, explains that this is a residential block. We all pay fees to clean, maintain and repair our common areas, lifts, swimming pool, gardens etc. We also pay for security etc. We dont pay fees so someone can run a hotel.

Yes people are still doing it, yes its illegal and yes it greatly impacts the people who own and "live" in the complex.

25 minutes ago, Canceraid said:

On the contrary, most of the receptionists are not "dogs" but are there to ensure security and that there are no strange characters up to no good at these buildings ie drug courriers, peodophiles, prostituition rings etc or unscruplous owners up to no good.

If they did that in my building I would probably be the only person left.

34 minutes ago, KarenBravo said:

I know people that are doing it in Phuket still.

No problems, so far.

illegal activity is never a problem until your caught! it only takes a neighbor and then you get charged and the extortion game begins. Can be very expensive mistake

Just rented two rooms in a Bangkok apartment building for 3 weeks. They offer B600/day or B12,000 per month. They own the whole building, so I think it only applies to people who only own a few units in a condo or sub-lets.

Edited by Estrada

Also check your insurance policy. It may not cover damage  by AIRBNB guests - likewise if they damage property in common areas you may be held responsible.We banned it in our condo, thankfully. Groups of 10or 12 guys on a stag weekend wrecking havoc on the facilities, making a lot of noise and bringing in even more 'guests'. No thanks.

2 hours ago, Henryford said:

Totally forbidden under 30 days in my condo.

So if you want to rent a unit for 7 days @ B600/night, you charge B4,200 and give them a contract for 30 days. I have rented @ B7,000 from 9th Nov to 28th Nov and have a contract from 1st to 30th November.

6 minutes ago, Estrada said:

Just rented two rooms in a Bangkok apartment building for 3 weeks. They offer B600/day or B12,000 per month. They own the whole building, so I think it only applies to people who only own a few units in a condo or sub-lets.

Apartment buildings (one owner) are different to Condominiums (individual owners) and many of them have a hotel license. Short term rental is mainly illegal because its against the hotel act.

23 minutes ago, Estrada said:

So if you want to rent a unit for 7 days @ B600/night, you charge B4,200 and give them a contract for 30 days. I have rented @ B7,000 from 9th Nov to 28th Nov and have a contract from 1st to 30th November.

There are ways of getting around any law.

I drive my friends to the airport. I just happen to have  3 minivans and I make 10 trips a day, and my friends give me donations for petrol. Thats how I could get around the WP laws.

Police can always pretend to be a customer and find you. Then you are doing illegal short term rental and fraud

Edited by Peterw42

The company I work for manages rented condos in the 10 million baht plus range. Some of the units are very nice indeed. The unit owners absolutely do not want someone renting a unit and then sub letting the unit on airbnb.

We make that crystal clear with all new tenants, and we include the following clause in the lease agreement:

"Not to assign any right hereunder nor sublet the Leased Premises or any part thereof without prior written consent from the Lessor. For the avoidance of doubt, by signing this Agreement you agree not to advertise online, advertise offline, rent, lease, hire or sublet the Leased Premises in any way whatsoever. You agree that breach of this clause will result in immediate termination of this Agreement, will all Rental Payments being immediately due on the date this Agreement is terminated. Furthermore, you agree to indemnify the Lessor against all legal claims for damages, taxes, penalties, fines and interest made by any Government Department, Government Agency, Condominium Juristic Person or by any third party as a result of your breach of this clause."

At the very least, the tenant (or whoever was in the property) would be evicted immediately, be liable for all remaining rental payments due under the entire contract and forfeit their security deposit. If there was damage to the units that they didn't immediately pay to repair or replace then the damage would be reported to the police as a criminal matter and immediately placed before the Court. If the tenant was a foreigner then from that point on they would have to ask the Court for permission to leave Thailand, which we would oppose unless they lodged a security with the Court equal to the total damages.

Fortunately we have never been in that situation. Having a very clear contract and taking the time to explain it helps. The reception staff and security are pretty good at spotting tourists too.

28 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Apartment buildings (one owner) are different to Condominiums (individual owners) and many of them have a hotel license. Short term rental is mainly illegal because its against the hotel act.

I can assure you many of them don't. Nowadays it is hard work to get a hotel license. Previously issued licenses would often not be issued if the same building was to be considered today due to the criteria being tightened.

57 minutes ago, Estrada said:

So how are you going to get them out if they decide to stay the whole month????

Oh, can you pm me the address, I'm interested in staying for a few days.....

1 hour ago, blackcab said:

The company I work for manages rented condos in the 10 million baht plus range. Some of the units are very nice indeed. The unit owners absolutely do not want someone renting a unit and then sub letting the unit on airbnb.

We make that crystal clear with all new tenants, and we include the following clause in the lease agreement:

"Not to assign any right hereunder nor sublet the Leased Premises or any part thereof without prior written consent from the Lessor. For the avoidance of doubt, by signing this Agreement you agree not to advertise online, advertise offline, rent, lease, hire or sublet the Leased Premises in any way whatsoever. You agree that breach of this clause will result in immediate termination of this Agreement, will all Rental Payments being immediately due on the date this Agreement is terminated. Furthermore, you agree to indemnify the Lessor against all legal claims for damages, taxes, penalties, fines and interest made by any Government Department, Government Agency, Condominium Juristic Person or by any third party as a result of your breach of this clause."

At the very least, the tenant (or whoever was in the property) would be evicted immediately, be liable for all remaining rental payments due under the entire contract and forfeit their security deposit. If there was damage to the units that they didn't immediately pay to repair or replace then the damage would be reported to the police as a criminal matter and immediately placed before the Court. If the tenant was a foreigner then from that point on they would have to ask the Court for permission to leave Thailand, which we would oppose unless they lodged a security with the Court equal to the total damages.

Fortunately we have never been in that situation. Having a very clear contract and taking the time to explain it helps. The reception staff and security are pretty good at spotting tourists too.

I can see why they would have that clause. Otherwise people rent the penthouse for a year then sublet it for 50k a night, corporate parties, product launch etc

Totally illegal for less than 30 days and many condo complexes are cracking down.  My condo has posed large signs in the lobbies and elevators warning both the owners renting short-term AND the renters, too.  Owners are encouraged to report the short-term violators to the condo management.  I welcome the crackdown.

Typically Thailand bullshit - "what's that? Dunno - better ban it."

Edit: Don't tell me about "respecting local laws" either. I have no respect whatsoever for unjust laws - there is in fact a duty to disobey. 

Edited by BudRight

43 minutes ago, BudRight said:

Typically Thailand bullshit - "what's that? Dunno - better ban it."

Edit: Don't tell me about "respecting local laws" either. I have no respect whatsoever for unjust laws - there is in fact a duty to disobey. 

Excellent post here. I agree with every word.

4 hours ago, MrJohnson said:

Groups of 10or 12 guys on a stag weekend wrecking havoc on the facilities, making a lot of noise and bringing in even more 'guests'. No thanks.

Those are the types I'm trying to avoid when I stay in Airbnb condos while travelling, instead of hotels.... 

6 hours ago, Canceraid said:

As a condo owner in various projects in Bangkok ie Rhythm Ratchada, Rhythm Sukhumvit, Rhythm Huay-Kwang, Centric Ratchada, Ideo Sapan Kwai, The Room Lardphrao etc, we have made sure that other owners do not rent out on a daily basis and the appointed juristic bodies have put up signs and we all make it a point to look out beside the appointed staff to make sure that no "arse" owner disobeys and do the same. The reason is for security purposes and also most of the daily renters make use of the common facilities ie the pool etc daily and mess up the common areas.Long term rentals with proper documentation and local police and  immigration notification is ok. We normally have the juristic committee report the matter to the local police or immigartion straigth away first. On the contrary, most of the receptionists are not "dogs" but are there to ensure security and that there are no strange characters up to no good at these buildings ie drug courriers, peodophiles, prostituition rings etc or unscruplous owners up to no good.One thing taht we have also done is to get the staff to check the air bnb sites to see any units listed in our properties and have them reported.

Really? That's nice. Just went through all the nice condos you listed on AirBnB and they are being leased for some nice pocket money with some units having over 100 reviews.

Nice dream.

6 hours ago, Canceraid said:

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/15736445?checkin=11%2F16%2F2016&checkout=11%2F23%2F2016&guests=1&s=4BEyajml 

lol