true or false

a friend has assured me he has not paid any ATM fee's by taking his UK ATM card and passport into the bank 

I recall about 18 years ago you could go into the bank( on second rd pattaya next to Kiss restaurant) and get money out but I have searched TV and only found

one vague mention. if this is true someone will know ?   `cheers.

The one Bangkok Bank branch (full service branch) I frequently use will not do it for a debit/ATM card (they just point  you to their ATM); but they will gladly do it for a credit card.  The Krungsri Branch  I use most of the time will accept a debit or credit card.     I'm in Bangkok.  It can vary from bank to bank or branch to branch whether they will accept a debit card; but all should accept a credit card.

I have no foreign transaction fee debit and credit cards.  The credit cards I use for cash advance do not charge any cash advance fee (some of the few that don't charge a cash advance fee) and I prepay the amount I plan to get....end result no fees or interest.   End result absolutely no fees for me when using my debit or credit cards (U.S. cards).    

Some may ask why do I use a credit card...well, for me, it because the credit card has a $2,000 USD per day/transaction cash limit while the debit card has a $1,000 per day/transaction cash limit.

And the Bangkok Bank branch and Krungsri Bank branch I use for counter withdrawals (a.k.a., cash advance) do not charge any fee.   I've been doing these type of counter withdrawals for around 2 years now.

As mentioned by another poster, your home country card-issuing bank may still apply fees....don't blame any such fees which are common with most cards on the Thai bank you use for the counter withdrawal.

Edited by Pib

I tried with the Kasikorn Bank in Central Festival yesterday and was told 3%

and then directed to the atm . ok it did give me 20k for 200 baht fee but next time I will try my uk fee free credit card in the Bangkok Bank and see what they say. I doubt I will get out for nowt as they say....but you never know ...thanks for the info

Definitely confirm whether your "....uk fee free credit card" charges a cash advance fee (3% is typical) or not.  Just because it may not change a foreign transaction fee or annual fee does not mean it may not charge a cash advance fee whether  you are inside or outside the U.S.  

Fortunately, I have a couple of no-fee U.S. credit cards that do not charge a cash advance fee, foreign transaction fee, or annual fee.  But these cards "do" start charging interest from day one of the cash advance and to avoid that I pre-pay the approx amount I plan to get.  Ex: I pre-pay $2,000 since I always do a cash advance for a little less than that amount and the second the cash advance hits the system it is automatically paid off....zero interest charge.

I also have some U.S. credit cards that do not charge foreign transaction fee or annual fee, but they "do" charge a cash advance fee.

And if your card does not charge a cash advance fee and you want to pre-pay to avoid any interest, then also be sure you card will allow a positive/credit balance (excluding refunds that sometimes created a positive/credit balance).   Some card-issuing financial  companies do not; the payment will not be allowed/accepted.   For example, those credit cards I mentioned that I use for cash advances will not allow a payment that causes a positive/credit balance when making that payment internally on their ibanking system...like when transfer a payment from your savings/checking account with that bank to the credit card with that bank....basically it doesn't allow an internal payment to cause a positive balance.   However, if you initiate the positive payment from another bank (i..e., pushing the money) they will accept it and that is what I have been doing for around 2 years.

Just be sure of the fees....don't assume.   And if you want to avoid any interest make sure you can make a prepayment; otherwise, you need to wait until the cash advance hits the system and then immediately pay it off which would only result in a one or a couple days of interest.

yes pib you are correct I think ? I try to keep my fee free uk credit card paid up mostly on the same day but after a check I have seen interest of roughly 250 baht being charged to that account in the last six months or so , as the interest is mostly below a pound I have not took much notice but I cannot remember being told of any interest charges, but I think I applied online for it. I will check it out.

while i'm on here has any one got a kasikorn  K- SME  debit card, as I have been charged 800 baht but the highest yearly card fee is 650 baht or am I on the wrong page?