Post office charging 3000 baht to pick up package?

Boristos Jaxon

My wife and I sent a package of gifts to my wife's family in Suratthani and the post office won't give it to them unless they 3000 baht. I already paid 90 Australian dollars to send this package. Is this a normal practice or are they trying to rip my wife's family off?

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, JHolmesJr said:

just trying to extort money then…they know you are farang and "farang can pay"

did you describe the package as a 'gift' and value it at 20USD or so…and remove all price tags?

Post number 4 said it all! So please stop your bs about extorting money!

Just now, robblok said:

NO clear amount depends on what is in there and they all have different tarifs.

When you bring in goods from abroad yourself by Swampy airport there's also a maximum amount that can be brought in taxfree. 

There must be a rule for importing goods yourself i would think. I know a lot depends of the shippingcompany used but also there are exceptions for certain countries, like China for example. 

Raybans from Australia sound like a product which will be charged for importtax to the maximum tariff. But for example hearing-aids from China for a Thai grandma will they also fully tax her?

Would be nice if there's a website with all those rules and tariffs.

I had to pay 10 or 20 baht for a parcel from China which costed 200 baht or so. All the other times i didn't have to pay but also many parcels never arrived.

14 minutes ago, fruitman said:

When you bring in goods from abroad yourself by Swampy airport there's also a maximum amount that can be brought in taxfree. 

There must be a rule for importing goods yourself i would think. I know a lot depends of the shippingcompany used but also there are exceptions for certain countries, like China for example. 

Raybans from Australia sound like a product which will be charged for importtax to the maximum tariff. But for example hearing-aids from China for a Thai grandma will they also fully tax her?

I had to pay 10 or 20 baht for a parcel from China which costed 200 baht or so. All the other times i didn't have to pay but also many parcels never arrived.

There is.. i know for a fact exercise equipment goes for 10% ( after that 7% vat is added)

Click on the top link (site is real slow)

http://igtf.customs.go.th/igtf/en/main_frame.jsp

1 hour ago, robblok said:

There is.. i know for a fact exercise equipment goes for 10% ( after that 7% vat is added)

Click on the top link (site is real slow)

http://igtf.customs.go.th/igtf/en/main_frame.jsp

That website is soooo slow it doesn't even work....just like many things in Thailand.

This is why i like visaruns, just bring it yourself in a suitcase, throw all receipts/boxes away and make some scratches on it so it's used.

12 hours ago, fruitman said:

lost track  of  how  much  stuff ive  brought into  Thailand  in  baggage  and  never  stopped  in over  10  years, items  include hedge  cutters petrol,  leaf  blower  petrol all new.

46 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

Like no other country does exactly the same thing!!!

At least most other countries have the information about self-importing goods neat on a website...

Check that Thai website Rob posted above, that's far from information and far from a good website. I don't understand a word of it.

Guess it's like shopping in BKK, depending on your clothes they'll make up the price.

The customs website linked to is a handy way of finding "worst case", there are many and varied duty reductions which may, or may not, apply.

A quick (ok ruddy slow) check, puts "spectacles" at 60% CIF plus VAT before any reductions.

How many pairs of RayBans were in the package?

1 hour ago, fruitman said:

At least most other countries have the information about self-importing goods neat on a website...

Check that Thai website Rob posted above, that's far from information and far from a good website. I don't understand a word of it.

Guess it's like shopping in BKK, depending on your clothes they'll make up the price.

As mentioned by others there are too many variables for the website to be precise in every instant. Suffice to say that importation tax is a feature of most countries and in this case is not something aimed solely at foreigners in order to rip them off.

2 hours ago, Crossy said:

The customs website linked to is a handy way of finding "worst case", there are many and varied duty reductions which may, or may not, apply.

A quick (ok ruddy slow) check, puts "spectacles" at 60% CIF plus VAT before any reductions.

How many pairs of RayBans were in the package?

60% looks like the ceiling rate and 5% is the current rate. 

Screenshot_20161108-073640.png

21 minutes ago, RBOP said:

Post office once charged me 3000 baht on a box sent to me from overseas. They based it on the price of the stamps not on the contents.

Sorry but that is a bit hard to understand - it is not the Post Office making charge - they only act as agent for Customs and there charge is indeed for contents but price of postage is included.