Multiple entry non-B or non-O (marriage) from any Australian consulate

Hi,

Today I went to the Melbourne consulate hoping to get a non-B multi entry just like I have for the last two consecutive years. To my surprise, the young girl behind the counter told me that all applications must now be approved by Canberra first, which could take a week. She took my $225 application fee and told me that in case a multiple entry visa can't be issued, she will refund the difference i.e. $135 since the single entry only costs $90.

I checked the Melbourne consulate website and it confirms that since August 15 all applications for non-immigrant multiple entry visas (of all types) must be approved by Canberra first. Adelaide and Brisbane mentions something similar, except that all applications will be considered on a case by case basis, with no specific mention of approval by Canberra (though probably there is).

Hobart doesn't mention any changes.

I have checked the Hobart, Sydney and Canberra consular websites and they all mention that for multiple entry non-B applications, apart from the letters of introduction/support from your employer in Australia and a counterpart in Thailand, their 1) business/company registration, 2) shareholder list and 3) company profile are also required. A company map is mentioned by one consulate but not the others (this requirement is easy to meet).

Problem is that the single entry is no good for me since I arrive in Thailand on a Saturday and plan to travel to Myanmar with 3 other people the next day by land. This means I won't be able to get a re-entry permit since no immigration office is open on the weekend and thus my visa will be cancelled when I leave Thailand. I can't postpone that trip either - if I don't go then I'd have to cancel all my hotel bookings.

I will email Melbourne and tell them that unless Canberra can confirm either way whether they will approve my multiple entry request by Thursday morning (which is when I leave Melbourne) I will have no choice but to cancel my application and request a refund of my application fee. Otherwise I won't have enough time to apply for another visa by the time I leave for Thailand in one and a half's week time. Is Hobart still issuing non-B multi entries? I'll email them anyway, but was wondering if anyone has had any direct, recent experience with them.

Does anyone have any direct experience applying for any sort of non-immigrant multiple entry visa in Australia (at any consulate or the Canberra embassy) since August 15? What documents were required? Since I'm married to a Thai, another option that I would be happy with for now would be to apply for a multiple entry non-O for marriage, which I would eventually convert to an extension of stay in a few months time. Alternatively, I could go for a METV that would tie me over in the meantime, before I go for either a multi non-O for marriage at Savannakhet or extension of stay in Thailand.

The final option would be to enter Thailand on visa exempt, go to Myanmar, come back a few days later on another visa exempt then head to Savannakhet for the multi non-O for marriage a few days later.

Any advice? What's my best option? Note that I won't consider any single entry non-O or non-B as they would be a big waste of time and money given my circumstances.

Edited by jimster

• I would of thought you'd have had more chance getting a ME Non 'O' (marriage) than an ME Non 'B'.
  • If you decide to travel without a visa note that the airline might not let you board if you don't have an onward flight dated within 30 days.
  • If you are arriving at BKK you could try applying for a re-entry permit at the office on the departure level. You're supposed to have a boarding card and apply on the way out, but if you explain what you're doing they might issue a permit.

Thanks for your advice. Luckily for me the Thai embassy in Canberra approved my non-B multi entry. Next time I'll go for an extension of stay on the basis of marriage and a work permit on top of that, but it worked out for me this time.

I would have had a ticket out within 30 days since I am heading overseas for a few days next month. However, in my experience airport staff at Australian airports are not that particular on the 30 days as long as the passenger possesses an outbound ticket of some sort, which I have anyway.