Mellow Spot?

I'm 60, been in BKK 10 years. Many times to Samui since 1990(!), but only Lamai, Chaweng in last 15 years. My sister (66) is coming in January. I could take her to Lamai, but wondering if another area might be better. I remember Menam area was laid back 20 years ago. Looking for QUIET, close to water (doesn't have to be ON the sea), good value, clean, decent restaurants, shops nearby.... Recommendations? Thx.

Both Bo Phut Bay/Fisherman Village and Maenam Bay are fine, quiet, laid-back areas. Both with a number of restaurants and ability to find fair priced accommodation, presume little more to choose from in Maenam Bay than Bo Phut Bay. January is high season, and some years can be heavily booked during high season.

Chaweng today is mainly for younger folks and if you like partying, but fine for a shopping/dining tour to Central Festival, if you're into brand-name stores. Lamai still quite mixed audience, and still with a number of beer-bars.

Choeng Mon is also pretty laid back. Although the beach will obviously be busier in January, which is high season.

Maybe further west along the north coast from Maenam might be quieter as well. 

Others can probably suggest places there. samuijimmy maybe. As he knows that area quite well.

Just giving others a chance to input!!:tongue: Phet Phet!

I can't disagree with the suggestions made already, I took some people of the the age group or older once, they like Choeng Mon beach the most of all the ones we visited!!  My feeling is if you like being packed like sardines on the beach then Choeng Mon is for you!!  Not my cuppa tea!  Also not really close to shopping.... that I remember!

Maenam has changed a lot in 20 years, but still a popular place for all age groups including us "oldies" ... who want to avoid the "party areas" Lots of restaurants  to choose from... Shopping .... well it depends on what you are shopping for !

For much quieter Ban Tai beach and Ban Por beaches offer quite peaceful beaches... Fewer restaurants in Ban Tai  and a bit of a walk to the main road.... Ban Por, some good restaurants, but does lack the "tourist trap shopping experience"... but fine for us oldies how live here!  But lots of long and short term tourist too... who want peace and quiet!

All that said, there are some nice areas west of Lamai towards Thaling Ngam and even up the west coast....Lipa Noi etc! ...... but fairly far removed from those tempting tourist shops!

Hope that helps!!!

Have anyone noticed, that Google Street View not let you "walk" up-and-down the beaches..?
Really great feature, if you wish to see what the beaches are like and the beach-front resorts also – I did some nice exercise walks this morning at both Maenam and Bo Phut beaches, comfortably sprawled in my study...:smile:

3 hours ago, khunPer said:

Have anyone noticed, that Google Street View not let you "walk" up-and-down the beaches..?
Really great feature, if you wish to see what the beaches are like and the beach-front resorts also – I did some nice exercise walks this morning at both Maenam and Bo Phut beaches, comfortably sprawled in my study...:smile:

In our photo section, just about every beach on Samui is posted!!!  You Khun Per.  me and a few others have helped contribute towards that!!! :smile:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/125263-images-of-samui-phangan-and-tao/?page=31

31 pages of various sights to see! :thumbsup:

I recommend you reside in fishermans village or somewhere in Bhoput. From there you can spend your time in

Meanam-Bhoput-Bangrak area, which is quite peacefull and mellow. Loads of cafe, restaurants and bars to explore.

Fishermans village beach is pleasant and safe, day and night.

2 minutes ago, OliverKlozerof said:

Oh--how's the swimming in Fisherman's Village?

Swimming OK, but a short drive to other nice beaches in Maenam & further west. The area us great with a boutique atmosphere, nice shops & restaurants. Lively on Friday night + you have the wharf complex at the end of the street with more eateries.