Serbia, Britain agree to intensify cooperation despite Brexit: British official

webfact

Serbia, Britain agree to intensify cooperation despite Brexit: British official

Source: Xinhua  

BELGRADE, Nov. 11 (Xinhua) -- Serbia and Britain will develop their relations further despite Brexit, said Boris Johnson, visiting British secretary of state for foreign and Commonwealth affairs, here on Thursday.

Johnson arrived in Serbia on Thursday for a two-day visit during his regional tour.

Johnson said at a press conference here that Britain, despite its decision to leave EU, remains dedicated to friendly relations with European countries such as Serbia.

"We will continue to support Serbia on its European path," Johnson said, stressing the economic and political progress that Serbia achieved.

Full story: http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2016-11/11/c_135820856.htm

-- Xinhua 2016-11-11

What a relief!  Great progress being made with the major players.  May relaxing visa restrictions for Indians wanting to come to the UK so that they agree to closer business ties.  Wonder how much of an achievement that will be seen as by the anti immigrant brigade?

Cannot overstate how disappointing May and Hammond have turned out be. Stumbling along and making it up as they go.

Just because they do not want to report on everything they do on a day to day basis, does not mean that they are not making progress.  What on earth did you expe0ct them to do even before article 50 has been put in motion?  Many countries, including economic giants like the USA and China,  have already expressed keen interest in having a trade agreement with Britain after we have withdrawn from the EU, which is an encouraging start. Give the lady a chance!  Agreements always involve some measure of give and take. 

9 minutes ago, Retiredandhappyhere said:

Just because they do not want to report on everything they do on a day to day basis, does not mean that they are not making progress.  What on earth did you expe0ct them to do even before article 50 has been put in motion?  Many countries, including economic giants like the USA and China,  have already expressed keen interest in having a trade agreement with Britain after we have withdrawn from the EU, which is an encouraging start. Give the lady a chance!  Agreements always involve some measure of give and take. 

It all depends on what you choose to believe.  Obama said that Britain wouldn't be first in line for any trade deals after Britain committed to Brexit.  Now he has gone and we have Trump who is keen to abolish trade dals so I am not sure where you are getting your information. As for China they have been completely non committal on any trade deals after Brexit.  It was the PM who said that she had very positive talks with Beijing which means absolutely nothing when the Chinese won't confirm it.  Of course she has to keep everything positive if she hopes to get any trade deals with our current biggest trading partner, the EU.

Nothing of any real relevance will happen until 2017.  Then it will take a minimum of two years for the divorce.  Obviously nobody wants to commit to any trade deals until then.  We all get that but it would be much better to just quietly get on with things without all the bullsh*t.  Don't tell us we are making progress when we are not, tell us when you have actually got something substantial to say.

On 11/11/2016 at 9:30 PM, Retiredandhappyhere said:

What I would expect before even a rough date of when Article 50 is triggered, is a rock solid strategy for pulling out and debated by parliament.

Why the need for debate? I am convinced that the exit strategy so far is <deleted> knows. We'll just have to keep our fingers crossed'.

There are (lots of) perfectly valid arguments for leaving the EU. But not like this, surely?

40 minutes ago, baboon said:

What I would expect before even a rough date of when Article 50 is triggered, is a rock solid strategy for pulling out and debated by parliament.

Why the need for debate? I am convinced that the exit strategy so far is 'F*** knows. We'll just have to keep our fingers crossed'.

There are (lots of) perfectly valid arguments for leaving the EU. But not like this, surely?

Totally agree and there are valid reasons for leaving the EU.  However the world is experiencing unprecedented times and we need to be careful we don't burn any bridges right now. 

Very British. Make it up as you go along. Got us an Empire, enabled us to leave the Empire. Destroyed the Germans (twice). Created the American Empire, which by accident enabled us to destroy the German Empire (twice). Destroyed the French Empire, with German (Prussian) help, and it was a close run thing. The East-Enders stopped facism in the UK ( and God how I hate cockneys with their sqeaky voices and faux masculine attitudes). Stopped, or tried to, stop slavery (we all know it still exists in one form or another). The greatest wordsmith in history, and he was making it up as he went along, for his audience. So, what I would say is carry on. I put my faith in the British sense of fair play, in their sentimentalism (taken almost to the level if mawkishnesh with their love of animals). I don't really fear that the British identity will be lost under a flood of immigrants, I have more faith. More I fear the immigrants will lose their identity in the flood of Britishness, it is very beguiling. What I would say to any prophet is keep your people home and don't let them be subject to any decadent influences. 

10 hours ago, dunroaming said:

Now he has gone and we have Trump who is keen to abolish trade dals so I am not sure where you are getting your information.

That's not exactly what Trump said.  It was more along the lines of abolishing trade deals that are not good for the US.  Like some with China.  Can't blame him for taking this position.

Good reading:

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/11/09/501464785/three-ways-president-elect-trump-may-shake-up-trade-policy

15 hours ago, dunroaming said:

It all depends on what you choose to believe.  Obama said that Britain wouldn't be first in line for any trade deals after Britain committed to Brexit.  Now he has gone and we have Trump who is keen to abolish trade dals so I am not sure where you are getting your information. As for China they have been completely non committal on any trade deals after Brexit.  It was the PM who said that she had very positive talks with Beijing which means absolutely nothing when the Chinese won't confirm it.  Of course she has to keep everything positive if she hopes to get any trade deals with our current biggest trading partner, the EU.

Nothing of any real relevance will happen until 2017.  Then it will take a minimum of two years for the divorce.  Obviously nobody wants to commit to any trade deals until then.  We all get that but it would be much better to just quietly get on with things without all the bullsh*t.  Don't tell us we are making progress when we are not, tell us when you have actually got something substantial to say.

Glass half empty.

14 hours ago, nausea said:

Very British. Make it up as you go along. Got us an Empire, enabled us to leave the Empire. Destroyed the Germans (twice). Created the American Empire, which by accident enabled us to destroy the German Empire (twice). Destroyed the French Empire, with German (Prussian) help, and it was a close run thing. The East-Enders stopped facism in the UK ( and God how I hate cockneys with their sqeaky voices and faux masculine attitudes). Stopped, or tried to, stop slavery (we all know it still exists in one form or another). The greatest wordsmith in history, and he was making it up as he went along, for his audience. So, what I would say is carry on. I put my faith in the British sense of fair play, in their sentimentalism (taken almost to the level if mawkishnesh with their love of animals). I don't really fear that the British identity will be lost under a flood of immigrants, I have more faith. More I fear the immigrants will lose their identity in the flood of Britishness, it is very beguiling. What I would say to any prophet is keep your people home and don't let them be subject to any decadent influences. 

Glass half full.