Sugar Shocker: Thai street drinks are loaded with sugar

webfact

Sugar Shocker: Thai street drinks are loaded with sugar

By Coconuts Bangkok 

9515809203_6b9b0551fd_z.jpg

Photo: Peng Zhang/Flickr

BANGKOK: -- In breaking news, experts have announced that the teas, coffees and fluorescent pink sodas purchased from roadside vendors are not very good for you. That’s right, apparently, they’re loaded with sugar.

Sala, the bright pink syrup and soda by the same name, was called out as a specific sugar culprit. An average streetside plastic cup of the stuff contains a whopping 15.5 teaspoons of sugar.

A doctor from the Bright and Healthy Thai Kid Project, Chutima Sirikulchayanonta, reported on a recent investigation into street vendor drink stalls in three neighborhoods in the city: Phaya Thai, Silom and Victory Monument.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2016/11/11/sugar-shocker-thai-street-drinks-are-loaded-sugar

coconts_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Coconuts Bangkok 2016-11-11

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A little salow today, is it? I could have told them that 20 years ago.

And in other breaking news: it has just been discovered that the re-use of oil 50 times over in the cooking of street food together with umpteen exotic sauces, MSG and MORE sugar, is also bad for you. 

Edited by daveAustin

When I first came here I noticed loads of people drinking iced coffee or tea. I did think "Man, they love tea and coffee over here". Then I realised it wasn't so much the tea or coffee as it was the sugar. Sugar is insanely addictive and bad for you. 

And to all those people who think having a beer or smoking a joint is synonymous with being less than holy. Well, eating all that sugar will give you big health problems later in life. 

"In breaking news, experts have announced that the teas, coffees and fluorescent pink sodas purchased from roadside vendors are not very good for you. That’s right, apparently, they’re loaded with sugar."  

Nothing shouts "prosperity" louder than having obese children with Type 2 diabetes. 

Edited by jaltsc

its not just the drinks. The so called healthy SOM TUM payaya salad, YUM WOON SEN and many other street thai dishes r all full of sugar and other sauces n additivies

Thai's like to tell me Thai food must be rot jud which means full of flavour. but IMO some street food is super oily full of sugar n salt and very unbalanced and unhealthy. 

Good real delicious Thai Food is not over the extreme pump full of sugar and other sauces or fried too oily, which my wife and her family has agreed. Don't tell me i no thai i no understand thai food.

I've had really good Thai food that is full of flavor and yet very well balanced in taste and spices.

I had cow pat (fried rice with prawns or pork or chicken) the other day from a street stall. The wife poured sugar over it when I wasn't looking, my goodness was it horrible. I ate 2 spoonfuls and left the rest, she does the same thing when we eat noodles, puts sugar in it. Why?

Also at work the boss gives us all free coffee and tea in our staff room. We don't use milk, we use coffee mate instead. I put one spoonful of each into my drink but the Thai's load their drinks with 2 or 3 spoonfuls of each.

Another worry for me is when I buy orange juice at my local market, is that sugar free or loaded with sugar? Soar fruit dipped in sugar and spice, sticky rice, how much sugar is in that? Ice cream sold locally? And the biggy, what about Thai beer, how many calories in a litre? I'm guessing 200 cal.

But, what suprises me most is like my missus, most Thai's are not fat, not fit, but not fat. Why is that? High metabolism in Asian people or natural born fat burners.

21 minutes ago, tukkytuktuk said:

I had cow pat (fried rice with prawns or pork or chicken) the other day from a street stall. The wife poured sugar over it when I wasn't looking, my goodness was it horrible. I ate 2 spoonfuls and left the rest, she does the same thing when we eat noodles, puts sugar in it. Why?

Also at work the boss gives us all free coffee and tea in our staff room. We don't use milk, we use coffee mate instead. I put one spoonful of each into my drink but the Thai's load their drinks with 2 or 3 spoonfuls of each.

Another worry for me is when I buy orange juice at my local market, is that sugar free or loaded with sugar? Soar fruit dipped in sugar and spice, sticky rice, how much sugar is in that? Ice cream sold locally? And the biggy, what about Thai beer, how many calories in a litre? I'm guessing 200 cal.

But, what suprises me most is like my missus, most Thai's are not fat, not fit, but not fat. Why is that? High metabolism in Asian people or natural born fat burners.

Watched a programme not long ago saying that this whole big person=slow metabolism thing is a myth. The bigger you are, the faster your metabolism needs to be in comparison with a smaller person. Anyway, Thais can indeed be scrawny but bloody hell, I've seem some gigantic elementary kids esp boys taking up a not so healthy chunk of the songthaew

1 hour ago, DM07 said:

No!

Really!

That is, why they taste so sweet!

I was wondering....:coffee1:

As if no one knew.

What about the freshly squeezed orange juices? Surely they slip sugar syrup into those.

When I order fresh coconuts at certain places I specifically ask for "no sugar", as it's obvious they even slip sugar syrup into those.

47 minutes ago, tukkytuktuk said:

Why? ... because sweet chili is a popular combination. You probably should have added more chili to appreciate it.

1 hour ago, tukkytuktuk said:

it does not mean your blood sugar or cholesterol levels r not high. some ppl r just that way but they will have all the same health problems as well. U have warn your wife. Don't give in to the Thai's r like that. nowadays There r so many health conscious Thais around as well and they r very well informed about having a good balanced diet and a good regular exercise workout.

my wife used to take diet pills but diet pills dont do anything except mess up your body's metabolism. once u stop taking it, the after effects will make u much fatter than before cos u need the pills to burn.  

The thing is if u r not training to have six pack abs, then just eat whatever u like in moderation (stay off snacks and sweet sodas like coke, drink just plain h20 is the best ) and be active in regular exercise like weight lifting or swimming 3 to 4 times a week. Thats more than enough to change your body n start being healthy. 

26 minutes ago, tropo said:

As if no one knew.

What about the freshly squeezed orange juices? Surely they slip sugar syrup into those.

When I order fresh coconuts at certain places I specifically ask for "no sugar", as it's obvious they even slip sugar syrup into those.

yes they poured sugar into it. squeezed the orange juice by yourself and see if it tastes sweet. any labels in supermarkets thats says no additives or sugar added is BS as well. 

if u squeezed orange juice or just cut up an orange or apple watch it go bad n change color within 2-3 days in your fridge.

how does juices have such long shelf life in supermarkets or even in local markets? they add a certain chemical to preserve it.

what does this chemical change into once digest inside your body?  it just becomes fat, cholesterol. 

if u want fruits, just buy fruits and eat the whole fruit. thats the best way to get all the nutrients vitamins and fibre.

2 hours ago, tukkytuktuk said:

Wow.... I have eaten some strange things in my time and in many countries..... I have never been served a cow pat. I have stepped over them on many occasions though. 

If you let a kid choose between a bottle of water or a can of soda.....And Thai kids always get what they want!

I see many vely fat thai kids and feel sorry for them. Their parents think they are good parents but wait untill they get problems because of their overweight.

I also had a cousin who was very fat but since he plays basketball he's perfect slim now..When we go abroad we always bring him a new pair of Nike's, no candy or so only sportwear he gets.

1 hour ago, Moonmoon said:

yes they poured sugar into it. squeezed the orange juice by yourself and see if it tastes sweet. any labels in supermarkets thats says no additives or sugar added is BS as well. 

if u squeezed orange juice or just cut up an orange or apple watch it go bad n change color within 2-3 days in your fridge.

how does juices have such long shelf life in supermarkets or even in local markets? they add a certain chemical to preserve it.

what does this chemical change into once digest inside your body?  it just becomes fat, cholesterol. 

if u want fruits, just buy fruits and eat the whole fruit. thats the best way to get all the nutrients vitamins and fibre.

To be fair, you can get very sweet oranges that are sweet when you squeeze them.

Sometimes it's nice to have a fruit juice. Eating and drinking are different pleasures - one doesn't satisfy the desire for the other.

Chemical preservatives don't "just becomes fat,  cholesterol". Sugar doesn't either. It can, but that depends on many factors.

13 minutes ago, fruitman said:

I also had a cousin who was very fat but since he plays basketball he's perfect slim now..When we go abroad we always bring him a new pair of Nike's, no candy or so only sportwear he gets.

Genuine Nike shoes are expensive in Thailand.

1 minute ago, tropo said:

Genuine Nike shoes are expensive in Thailand.

Not in the Nike factory store BKK but they don't have all the latest models (Do have ALL sizes ) . So we bring them from abroad, Nike Air from Tokyo made him slim, he loves them so much.

2 hours ago, Moonmoon said:

its not just the drinks. The so called healthy SOM TUM payaya salad, YUM WOON SEN and many other street thai dishes r all full of sugar and other sauces n additivies

Thai's like to tell me Thai food must be rot jud which means full of flavour. but IMO some street food is super oily full of sugar n salt and very unbalanced and unhealthy. 

Good real delicious Thai Food is not over the extreme pump full of sugar and other sauces or fried too oily, which my wife and her family has agreed. Don't tell me i no thai i no understand thai food.

I've had really good Thai food that is full of flavor and yet very well balanced in taste and spices.

True, landlady brought by purchased som-tom lately , man, too sweet to eat, no chance ...

Had to go grab me a papaya to triple the volume, plus some salt, lemon & vinegar to get that halfway edible.