Semi-trailer slides backward on Patong Hill

rooster59

Semi-trailer slides backward on Patong Hill

Tanyaluk Sakoot

1478858463_1-org.jpg

PHUKET: A 24-wheeled truck and trailer loaded with construction materials from Bangkok slid sideways while braking after failing to climb Patong Hill this morning (Nov 11), leaving rush-hour commuters stuck on the hill, praying the truck would not slide backwards any further.

The incident happened at about 5am, explained Lt Surapong Pungprom of the Kathu Traffic Police.

“The truck was still there when I came on duty at 7am,” he told The Phuket News.

“There were lots of motorbikes and cars keeping clearing of the truck, and trying to slowly make their way past it,” he said.

A cement truck was called in to help tow the semi-trailer up the hill, Lt Surapong explained.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/semi-trailer-slides-backward-on-patong-hill-59821.php#aVwmPAq7t2Ri6ppU.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2016-11-12

For a start it's only 22 wheels (Not 24) & Harada is correct. These guys have not been taught properly, as a retired professional driver in OZ if you are coming to a hill go to the lowest gear you can & leave it there, these guys cannot read the terrain or traffic & as a consequence don't do anything till it's too damm late & this happens

7 hours ago, Somtamnication said:

A cement truck to help tow? Only in Thailand!:annoyed:

Not as silly as it seems- the big cement trucks are probably the most powerful vehicles on the road.

I saw one of the big wooden buses stuck the other week- a ten wheeler didn't have the power to pull him out. A cement truck pulled him out in a minute like a cork from a bottle. they are big beasts.

27 minutes ago, Psimbo said:

Not as silly as it seems- the big cement trucks are probably the most powerful vehicles on the road.

I saw one of the big wooden buses stuck the other week- a ten wheeler didn't have the power to pull him out. A cement truck pulled him out in a minute like a cork from a bottle. they are big beasts.

And those cement truck drivers know how to use their gear boxes. Just watch them wrestling into a cramped hilly dirt road to deliver concrete - amazing. And they can reverse too ...

I drive semi for living in my past time while back home and on this one i could only count 18 wheels not 24 wheels sorry but wrong truck id the one they are talking about would have 24 wheels.

Anyhow to jacknife on ta hill with dry pavement it is unreal I could see that being on black ice but not on pavement young and unexperience driver.

And once up the hill and over the whoops past the Wat down into Patong, will be interesting to see it negotiate the sharp right into town if he can not even get up the ruddy hill... Ahh the Cement truck to help only in LOS...

Do they actually have any weighbridges anywhere on Phuket?