Actor Robert Vaughn dies at 83

rooster59

Actor Robert Vaughn dies at 83

606x341_349376.jpg

The actor Robert Vaughn, best known for playing the suave Napoleon Solo in 1960s television spy series, “The Man from U.N.C.L.E,” and the last surviving actor from the original “Magnificent Seven” movie, died on Friday from leukemia.

Vaughn’s manager Matthew Sullivan said the 83-year-old actor died in hospital surrounded by his wife Linda Staab and two children, Cassidy and Caitlin.

He had been receiving treatment for acute leukemia, Sullivan said.

What did he star in?

New York-born Vaughn starred with David McCallum in “The Man from U.N.C.L.E,” a tongue-in-cheek drama about battling world evil that was inspired by the James Bond books and movies.

“Robert and I worked together for many years and losing him is like losing a part of me,” McCallum said in a statement to TVLine.com on Friday.

The 1964-68 series gave way to a number of spinoff movies including “One Spy Too Many” and “One of Our Spies is Missing” that also starred the two actors.

Film career

Vaughn appeared in more than 200 movies and TV shows over his 60-year career, including the 1960 movie “The Magnificent Seven”, alongside Yul Brynner and Steve McQueen. He was the last survivor of the movie’s original seven lead actors.

Other movies included “Bullitt” in 1968, again with McQueen, and “The Young Philadelphians” in 1959, for which he received a supporting actor Oscar nomination.

Television career

On television, Vaughn appeared in numerous shows, including “The A-Team,” a 1998 TV version of “The Magnificent Seven,” and, in 2012, as a character in the long-running British soap opera, “Coronation Street.”

Tributes

Former British James Bond actor Sir Roger Moore was among those mourning his passing, tweeting “Sorry to hear the news about Robert Vaughn.”

British actor Stephen Fry said on Twitter that Vaughn was “such a fine actor, one of the best Columbo villains (no higher praise than that) and utterly charming man.”

euronews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Euronews 2016-11-12

I thought he was just too cool. As a kid, I styled myself on him, hoping to impress the chicks, but they weren't bowled over by a "movie spy" of 5 foot 6 inches, wild red hair, freckles, buck teeth, glasses and knobbly knees.

RIP. Robert - some nice memories.

Edited by Dexlowe

5 hours ago, daveAustin said:

What a shame. Len Cohen died the other day too. 2016 has become a right miserable year!

Hasn't it just!

Starting with my heroes, David Bowie, Alan Rickman,  Leornard, Glen Frey,  Keith Emerson, Ronnie Corbett,  Gene Wilder, Prince, my father, 

Then again there was Paul Daniels and Terry Wogan

I know I am getting old, as a lot of the Actors, singers, and other people that I looked up to have all passed away.  I am feeling a bit more like George Burns  every day.  Hey!  I heard that Billy Graham is still alive and i.s in his late nineties.  enjoyed so many of the shows like Man from UNCLE , Avengers , Lone Ranger, and other 60s and 70s shows.  Yup I must be getting old.

Geezer

As a boy I used to love watching The Man From Uncle in our living room whilst our dog  lay stretched out in front of the coal fire, emitting occasional farts and flapping its tail on the carpet as it  dreamed of chasing rabbits.  

Mum would do the ironing whilst watching The Man From Uncle  and she told me one day as she tried to avoid the silent but noxious gases emitting from our beloved pet that Robert Vaughn had once been her boyfriend.As a young nipper I believed Mum intrinsically and  imagined her taking part in all those exciting escapades Robert Vaughn and David McCallum underwent.

When I returned to boarding school after a long break our teacher asked us if we had found out anything of interest in the holidays.

I immediately raised my hand and said I had found out Robert Vaughn had once been my mother's boyfriend.There was a titter from my schoolmates as the master mercilessly tore into me.' Boy, stop telling lies  I have seen your mother and I can assure you such a thing is impossible!'

And in such a way dreams are broken but I never stopped liking Robert Vaughn, such a cool actor.