Massive canals project to be explained

rooster59

Massive canals project to be explained

By KNITA SITHONG, 
PRATCH RUJIVANAROM 
THE SUNDAY NATION

bc705c91d1184a2139343ac2fafa4086.jpeg

Thale Noi wetland in Phattalung, which environmentalists fear would be affected by Klong Thai Canals project.

THE committee studying the feasibility of the Klong Thai Canals project launched a campaign yesterday to inform people in five affected provinces about the benefits of a new navigation canal, which would cut through the Malay Peninsula and reduce the existing shipping route through the Malacca Strait by 700 kilometres.

The committee headed by General Phongthep Thetprateeb, secretary-general of the General Prem Tinsulanonda Statesman Foundation, held a meeting at the Thammarin Thana Hotel in Trang with politicians, local authorities, and officers from five provinces that the project will pass through – Trang, Krabi, Nakhon Si Thammarat, Phatthalung and Songkhla.

Full story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30299869

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2016-11-13

49 minutes ago, ddavidovsky said:

A Chinese project of course:

https://chinadailymail.com/2015/05/17/china-announces-strategically-important-kra-isthmus-canal-in-thailand/

Was that in Thai news?

The exact location, which is different on every map - perhaps deliberately, to prevent objection - still seems to be a secret.

It was reported and even discussed on TVF a few times in the past.

1 hour ago, Enoon said:

It would create a lovely "containment" line wouldn't it?  And an equally lovely border between Thailand and a future seceded South.

canal.jpg

This is a great idea

Not only do the mozzies have a place to call home ( until they stuff it up )

But long tail boat operators can due day trips along the canal  :smile:

11 minutes ago, Morch said:

It was reported and even discussed on TVF a few times in the past.

I meant the Thai news media - wondering whether the government had made any official announcement to the people. The way this issue comes up every year suggests they are being slow-primed - no doubt they anticipate a lot of objections and they don't want to create upheaval in a delicate political climate.

If there was news on TVF about a Thai-Chinese memorandum being signed, I must have missed it. I only recall rumours and denials.

1 hour ago, ddavidovsky said:

https://chinadailymail.com/2015/05/17/china-announces-strategically-important-kra-isthmus-canal-in-thailand/

Was that in Thai news?

The exact location, which is different on every map - perhaps deliberately, to prevent objection - still seems to be a secret.

They Chinese just need to finish the Nicaragua canal first.....

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/04/world/americas/nicaragua-canal-chinese-tycoon.html?_r=0

26 minutes ago, ddavidovsky said:

I meant the Thai news media - wondering whether the government had made any official announcement to the people. The way this issue comes up every year suggests they are being slow-primed - no doubt they anticipate a lot of objections and they don't want to create upheaval in a delicate political climate.

If there was news on TVF about a Thai-Chinese memorandum being signed, I must have missed it. I only recall rumours and denials.

If it was on TVF it basically means it was on Thai media, so yes. I'd guess that the same back and forth, with denials all over the place was done back then too. Versions of this project have been around for many years, so "the government" doing the supposed "priming" couldn't have been the same. Like other mega projects in Thailand, there's usually always someone in the background promoting things, and testing the water.

Here's a follow up link to the 2015 thing:

Thailand denies Kra Canal deal

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asiapacific/thailand-denies-kra-canal/1856758.html

Edited by Morch

7 hours ago, lonewolf99 said:

No good will come of this and remember no one is allowed to get in the way of "progress".

72 months and counting.

first proposed in 1677...but the rest of the numbers don't seem to match this latest report 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thai_Canal

Cost has risen since 1677? I thought they shelved this thing last year or the year before. Well they shelved the sub order to but look what happened. Thailand the hub of the unexpected. Keeps one guessing. 

52 minutes ago, ddavidovsky said:

Yes, it was widely discussed in the Thai media - as was the almost immediate denial!

https://translate.google.com.au/translate?hl=en&sl=th&u=http://www.manager.co.th/Politics/ViewNews.aspx%3FNewsID%3D9580000057018&prev=search

16 minutes ago, elgordo38 said:

Cost has risen since 1677? I thought they shelved this thing last year or the year before. Well they shelved the sub order to but look what happened. Thailand the hub of the unexpected. Keeps one guessing. 

Ironic that the project they're determined to not go ahead with is the one with the greatest potential benefits... 

1 hour ago, Gulfsailor said:

Until I hear from my Phatthalung inlaws that Bangkok businessmen are buying large swaths of land in the area, this is not a project about to start anytime soon. 

Why would they buy it?  So easy to steal it from the indigenous people whose families have farmed it for generations.  For a few baht and some favors, an authentic looking deed and everything.  Which is a lot of what the insurgency is about.

1 hour ago, jamesbrock said:

Yes, it was widely discussed in the Thai media - as was the almost immediate denial!

https://translate.google.com.au/translate?hl=en&sl=th&u=http://www.manager.co.th/Politics/ViewNews.aspx%3FNewsID%3D9580000057018&prev=search

Ironic that the project they're determined to not go ahead with is the one with the greatest potential benefits... 

Only leaked and denied then.

It's obvious that the project will only go ahead with Chinese backing. Equally obvious that the Thai government want to do it but are not ready to commit to anything just yet, given political instability. Their strategy is clearly to prime the population for it psychologically by periodically feeding it to the media.

More than anything they are afraid of angry crowds on the street and something like this could well bring them out once the full details of the displacement and environmental destruction it will cause are known. The government is just waiting.

Edited by ddavidovsky

5 hours ago, ddavidovsky said:

Was that in Thai news?

Yes its a secret to us but not to the ones that was told and was able to buy up land in the area.

4 hours ago, WhizBang said:

I thought this project got soundly dissed as being an environmental disaster, and was hence shelved.  No?

Environmental or not, this will go ahead eventually. It shortens the route by a very long distance and removes the risk of piracy from a certain country.

There is never "progress" without environmental destruction. If people don't want "progress" that is OK if they want to live in caves and eat berries.

It always amuses me that so called "environmentalists" want to use cars and fly, while living in houses and using electricity. Their causes never impact on them, but usually make other people poorer.

That's not to say whatever we do should not be done as cleanly as possible, but how many will give up cars to prevent pollution in cities. Look at what is happening in New Delhi!

China will love it for the obvious reasons and Thailand is probably for it because it will bring billions of $ in shipping and related services.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

7 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Why is no one mentioning Singapore? Are they involved?

If the canal was built it would have a HUGE effect on their economy.

IMO, if they were brought in as partners it would be more likely to succeed.

Yes, this will impact Singapore big time if the canal is built. Singapore is the oil hub of Asia with the refineries located there. Should the canal be built, there really no reason for the refineries to be there and will move to Thailand. The petroleum industry will collapse together with the ports and all the related shipping activities. 

There are enough reasons for Thailand to proceed with the project with China as the main financier. The relationship between China and Singapore has soured since the death of senior Lee. China want Singapore to take side with the South China dispute and want to stop the naval logistic base with USA. Singapore is standing firm with the USA pivot to Asia. China will like to teach Singapore a lesson and is being seen as agreesively pushing the project with the more friendly military government and their absolute law to brush aside any resistance. 

However I dont think the Singapore economy will collapse. If I am not wrong, the petroleum industry is only 5% of the GDP. Singapore also has a big war chest of foreign reserve and a talented group of leaders. They have overcome adversities before like when they closed the British military camps and economy almost collapse. 

It will left to be seen how the citizens will react when Thailand surrender sovereignty of the canal to the Chinese. Just how much corruption will pass hands between 2 opaque government undertake such a massive project. 

loce big engineering projects - this one has been in te mill for over 400 years, so is it about time?

Sadly the world has changed and increased traffic generated is at best a double edged sword, burt give the regions records on civil rights and environmental issues it is likely to be just another massive fiasco that descends into an eco-disaster and brings nothing to Thailand......except international embarrassment.....the Chinese will love it. everything in China now points west - tey fear Trumps 45% duties and wanrt access in as many ways to India and Europe for Western China - this will be just another shortcut for them. by the time they've lent Thailand all the cash, engineering and know-how, it will be free for them for decades.

Another pie in the sky scheme devised by some general if it ever happens it will be some sort of a disaster only two feet wide all the way or some such thing and it will be someone else to blame for the waste of money.    

21 minutes ago, Jim walker said:

Another pie in the sky scheme devised by some general if it ever happens it will be some sort of a disaster only two feet wide all the way or some such thing and it will be someone else to blame for the waste of money.    

it will be to shallow. :shock1: