Garden Beds for Home

JT65

Hi All

Ive made some raised garden beds and have started to grow some herbs, vegetables for home to feed the family. I worry about the chemicals used on the regular produce which is grown and sold at the markets.

A couple of weeks ago we planted some young chilli, coriander, basil and some Thai eggplant.

I filled the garden beds with the organic mix soil that is purchased in bags sold at the local landscaping stores here in Chiang Mai.

Well within the last couple of weeks these plants were nearly completely eaten by  pests.

My question is to grow here is it essential to have some sort of covering to prevent pests, or is there an organic spray that can be used to prevent the pests from destroying the crop?

Any info appreciated in advance.

Regards

JT65

I'm not sure what your organic soil mix is, the stuff I have seen is fairly useless, you need to dig in copious amounts of organic material like ripe cow manure, possibly lighten up the soil with carbonised rice husks, lovely stuff.

With chilli and eggplant in particular I would on a weekly basis spray with Neem oil or Wood vinegar in alternance. I'm surprised that your Coriander and Basil were attacked...

I assume that your pests are the same we have, and without going into using heavy duty agricultural chemicals, the above two treatments will be about as good as you can do. Bear in mind that the time of year has a strong influence on insect presence and what was a catastrophe one month works very well the next. These days I only plant Thai varieties unless I am ready to spray, spray, spray.

I'm surprise to see that you've had problems with the four herbs/veggies you mentioned. I've grown all 4 quite successfully for the past two/two and a half years now and I've never had a single problem with bugs on any of those plants.

Currently there are little orange "Ladybird" like creatures devouring my melons and cucumber seedlings - and those are just a meter or two away from the aforementioned plants. 

• 2 weeks later...