Will a Bababerry plant grow and fruit in Thailand

Latis

Latis,where are you in Thailand and do you have or know where to get these?

We would also like to try some ,we are in the Cha-am area.We have tried European strawberries but it is too hot over here

and we could not keep them alive.They came from Chiang mai and were doing great over there.

Ji JVS,  I am in sweltering Ubon Ratchathani with a smallholding on the watersedge at Sirindhorn Dam. You can see details online by Google Latis Farmstay.  I have not yet got the plants but need to assess if they will survive. Apparently they are a tropical rasberry.  Mulberry bushes do exceptionally well here.

29 minutes ago, Latis said:

Ji JVS,  I am in sweltering Ubon Ratchathani with a smallholding on the watersedge at Sirindhorn Dam. You can see details online by Google Latis Farmstay.  I have not yet got the plants but need to assess if they will survive. Apparently they are a tropical rasberry.  Mulberry bushes do exceptionally well here.

Ok,i will check the website!Yes we have mulberries also and they produce really well but it would be great to

have a n ever bearing raspberry.We have tried plants from both the South and the North,some do well,other just stay alive and others die.We plant all in home made compost.

Perhaps I didn't spend enough time googling but I did not see any mention of bababerry being suited to tropical areas. Most of the hits related to USA (California, Arizona and Texas but not Florida). Those are not tropical areas. I read that it needs chilling (i.e. cold temperatures in the winter), so I doubt it would work in Ubon. 

They do sell raspberry vines on chatuchak plantmarket and i think you can grow them  here, not sure.

I collect rare fruittree's from abroad, chatuchak is a nice place to find the more common stuff. I do have some abiu or brazilian cherry and some more tree's spare for trade but only for real rare tree's from abroad.

There's a lot you can grow here but it's hard, very hard to find and only for high prices.

Edited by fruitman

We have three mango trees which are four years old,the seeds came from Chili.

They are doing fine and i hope someday they will bear fruit.

59 minutes ago, fruitman said:

They do sell raspberry vines on chatuchak plantmarket and i think you can grow them  here, not sure.

I collect rare fruittree's from abroad, chatuchak is a nice place to find the more common stuff. I do have some abiu or brazilian cherry and some more tree's spare for trade but only for real rare tree's from abroad.

There's a lot you can grow here but it's hard, very hard to find and only for high prices.

Do you know where we can get Kiwi fruit trees?

2 hours ago, jvs said:

Yes in Kiwiland NZ, don't know if you can grow them from seed. I've never seen kiwi's grown in Thailand nor the vines.

Maybe somebody can bring and import it? Or you grow seeds and graft scionwood onto it?

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/11/2016 at 11:41 AM, jvs said:

Maybe you can graft a raspberry shoot on a mulberry stock?

Worth a try i would think.

@ Latis,i checked out your website,very nice area and sounds like a great challenge.!

This is part of our garden,

snake 064.JPG

Looks really great. Very lush. What province are you in?

On 14/11/2016 at 11:41 AM, jvs said:

Maybe you can graft a raspberry shoot on a mulberry stock?

Worth a try i would think.

@ Latis,i checked out your website,very nice area and sounds like a great challenge.!

This is part of our garden,

snake 064.JPG

Wow looked great. What province are you in? Your garden also looks like a lot of love and had work has gone into it.

On 15/11/2016 at 7:35 PM, jvs said:

That's great that you are growing the mangos from seed from Chili.  I bought some mangoes at the Food Court at Harrods, brought the seeds back here and grew them. That's 9 years ago and now they give a bumper crop. I also bought some mangoes from KL and Melbourne and those are doing well. Most of the mango trees I have are local as Thai mangoes are considered to be the tastiest, if not the largest.

Latis,believe it or not when i moved onto this property there were no trees at all!

All you see now is planted and we have a great mixture of fruit,flowering and palm trees.

It did and does take a lot of work but it is really worth it,we have our own well and the property is 3.5 rai plus

about 1.5 rai we can use but not build upon.

The mountain in the background is a very big plus also,nobody can ever build between us and the mountain!

We are on the opposite site of this,

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g297919-d3547844-Reviews-Khao_Nang_Phanthurat_Forest_Park-Cha_am_Phetchaburi_Province.html