Neighbour stealing electricity

thaipod

7 hours ago, colinneil said:

Be very careful of this situation, as many Thais do it and they think it is ok.

You upset them and you could find yourself getting problems from them.

All over the country workers steal electric, and think nothing of it.

2 years ago when we were having work done, workers connected to the mains supply, just climbed the pole attached the wires and started welding. When i said you cannot do that, you are stealing. Answer  was what we do wrong.

Welders do that because they use a big grinder which will blow the fuses in a house when it starts-up. They also do that here.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, snowgard said:

All this comments from scary and ball less farangs. Unbelievable!!! This is the reason why THAIS do it.

Don't cut it. Call the police and let they handle it. Trust me they will tell this guys who stole your electricity what happen and who will be in response if something happen to you or your house later.

I never understand why farangs here so scare!!!

I agree with you 100 % just reading here western man are afraid to report them , 

that is just a joke, like you I would call the police or the power company and let them work it out .

the thai face thing is a joke in its self .

1 minute ago, impulse said:

700 baht a month = around $250 a year.  Hardly the kind of money that I'd risk life, limb or property over- principles or not.

Maybe ask them to keep an eye on your empty property in return for the juice?  Win-win.  

They will think he is an idiot if he does that.....

What the thieves should have done is plumbed into the supply side NOT the consumer side..

13 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

Quite a lot of pussy's, no wonder no Thai has respect for the most of them.

Exactly: Grow a pair!

What next, just start handing over money to people you don't know because you're worried what they might do?

2 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

How would that happen, surely if no current going into meter from house how would any clock reading be recorded going out ?

The meter is usually outside the property, many times across the road. From there it goes to the main switch / fuses on the property - if it is a plot of agricultural land where the electricity was connected before the house was built - the main switch might even be far from the house. 

Logically the connection should be AFTER the switch so the power can be cut off while connecting the wires, but I guess it can also be done somewhere between the meter and the switch. So - it between the meter and the switch - turning off the switch won't make a difference. If after the switch but the switch is outside the house - won't make a difference either as the neighbors can reconnect / switch on the power...

I'd say the best solution is go talk NICELY and POLITELY with the neighbor and ask them either to pay all future bill or just stop using your power. If you don't know who the person is, can ask the assistance of the village chief. 

If that doesn't work - you might consider buying a solar cell unit, as was suggested above, and ask the PEA to cut you off the grid and take the meter away.

1 hour ago, thaipod said:

These are not the type of people you want to get on the wrong side of. The father works maintaining the water ways in BKK and the son was not long released from jail, you get in their face or make them loose face all my trees and the house will be destroyed, then never be able to visit the place again

Already had a issue with them cutting through my land, their excuse they have been there longer than us got a lawyer friend to talk to them and then the father was doing voodoo near the fence line, strange objects and incense. 

Voodoo them in typical Hawaiian style.  

A neighbour of mine a few years ago had a problem with rain water collecting in the corner of her front garden.  She had workmen come and dig a trench and bury a 10 inch concrete pipe leading from her garden across my driveway (not at that time concreted) and across a few metres of my frontage and under my garden wall so that all the excess water was drained from her garden into mine.

She also refused to trim huge trees which overhung my driveway by 3 metres and attached large brackets to my side garden wall to carry electicty cables down to a building at the bottom of her garden.  All efforts to persuade her to correct the issues proved fruitless, so I made a concrete plug which sealed the 10 inch pipe as it emerged  under my wall.  She never knew for sure why all the money she had spent installing the pipe did not solve her drainage problem, although she must have guessed.   

She then interfered with my workmen completing the building of the wall dividing our properties, claiming that it was being built on half a metre of her land, even though it was in fact built one foot our side of the concrete boundary markers.   Constant harrassment of the workers and of me and my wife eventually forced me to take her to court.  It cost me 20000 baht in fees and presumably cost her about the same, but the judge told her to correct all the issues within one month or face a substantial fine and asked her why she felt it necessary to constantly cause the "farang" problems and suggested she try to get along with her neighbours.  She made a complete spectacle of herself in court by losing her temper, initially saying "no way" to the judge until her laywer calmed her down and got her to sign the court order.  

She did correct all the issues reluctantly and it took her a further year and an American husband's influence before she came to terms with the verdict and with us.

50 minutes ago, impulse said:

700 baht a month = around $250 a year.  Hardly the kind of money that I'd risk life, limb or property over- principles or not.

Maybe ask them to keep an eye on your empty property in return for the juice?  Win-win.  

I was thinking the same thing- its hardly a major drama. How much of the 700 will be saved by cutting their electric? It could be more hassle that 2-300 baht is worth.

44 minutes ago, transam said:

They will think he is an idiot if he does that.....

2 comments:

-I think that horse has already bolted- as evidenced by the fact they're stealing his power

-So what?  If I couldn't live with people who think I'm an idiot, I'm on the wrong side of the world.

I don't care what they think of me.  Life's too short. Prejudices run too deep.  I have peacefully and happily coexisted with neighbors who make my skin crawl while they despise everything about "my kind".  Some of us became great friends after years of wearing each other down with smiles and hellos.

I'm suggesting he let them know in a non-confrontational way that he's aware they're stealing his power.  No threats, no subterfuge, no hysterics.  Then I suggest he offers a solution that doesn't involve loss of face, the popo or any stunts that would create bad neighbors for life.  My bet- the problem will straighten itself out without the grand showdown so many here seem to crave.

Wonderful.  Advice from TV members: "Don't rock the boat."

At some point you're either a victim or you stand up for what is morally right.  Those of you who enjoy victim-hood obviously were not raise in 'Fly-over country USA".  OP.  Don't be a victim.

Other suggestion.  Install a lockable cut-off switch at the meter.

Edited by connda

1 hour ago, Beats56 said:

I was thinking maybe wait for a power outage and cut their wires. But the sensible thing to do is just call the power company for them to check.

Takes it out of your hands.

But the power company cut only the lines. Nothing more!!! They have their money already!!!

If you want that they not stole your electricity/money again you have to report it to the police and open a case against this people.

Edited by snowgard

Now after all those posters replies burn their house down,call the police, cut their power, I've lived here for over 20 years and have lived in different communities and employed workers to know how these people think and act when loosing face and up against the wall. Quite often you don't deal with one but many out of control individuals that  don't forgive.

The result today is that the electricity department turned up and waited for him to come home with my wife and her 2 military subordinates and confronted him relating the cables coming off our main lines. Answer.... had workers working repairing the roof and did not know they had connected to our meter...  Daahhh.  Sorry Sorry.  Made him sign papers and all went home.

This is Thailand....

Simple solution:

Pay a local electrical engineer to move the neighbours wires from the consumer side of the meter, to the supply side.

The neighbour still gets his electricity and you don't have to pay for it.

The neighbour is steeling from the electricity supply company rather than you.

PS, you posted your solution whilst I was writing my post.

Glad to see the problem is resolved with no  loss of face.

Edited by laislica

1 hour ago, LukKrueng said:

The meter is usually outside the property, many times across the road. From there it goes to the main switch / fuses on the property - if it is a plot of agricultural land where the electricity was connected before the house was built - the main switch might even be far from the house. 

Logically the connection should be AFTER the switch so the power can be cut off while connecting the wires, but I guess it can also be done somewhere between the meter and the switch. So - it between the meter and the switch - turning off the switch won't make a difference. If after the switch but the switch is outside the house - won't make a difference either as the neighbors can reconnect / switch on the power...

I'd say the best solution is go talk NICELY and POLITELY with the neighbor and ask them either to pay all future bill or just stop using your power. If you don't know who the person is, can ask the assistance of the village chief. 

If that doesn't work - you might consider buying a solar cell unit, as was suggested above, and ask the PEA to cut you off the grid and take the meter away.

Disagree entirely, people like you make me cringe, why would you do that, ask fligging village chief to tell them not use your electric supply.

Then just cut the wire of the thieving scum, where do mamby bamby people come from.

If he is not in agreement then his a clown and tell him you won't pay the bill and get cut off and 

If that should happen then buy a solar cell unit.

Just upgraded the place and put air and a bigger fridge to spend more time there. The wife actually has started looking at solar for the security lights and the fridge but not sure if it will handle the pump and air etc.

We just had the electricity dept guys there to move the meter away the the guys house.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

5 hours ago, thaipod said:

Just upgraded the place and put air and a bigger fridge to spend more time there. The wife actually has started looking at solar for the security lights and the fridge but not sure if it will handle the pump and air etc.

We just had the electricity dept guys there to move the meter away the the guys house.

Oh really. can you do that? ?my meter is across the road and I think the neighbour is stealing too. 

Can I get the meter moved to my side? ? But I don't have a pole on my side. All the poles are on one side of the street and the lines connect across to the house.

2 hours ago, impulse said:

2 comments:

-I think that horse has already bolted- as evidenced by the fact they're stealing his power

-So what?  If I couldn't live with people who think I'm an idiot, I'm on the wrong side of the world.

I don't care what they think of me.  Life's too short. Prejudices run too deep.  I have peacefully and happily coexisted with neighbors who make my skin crawl while they despise everything about "my kind".  Some of us became great friends after years of wearing each other down with smiles and hellos.

I'm suggesting he let them know in a non-confrontational way that he's aware they're stealing his power.  No threats, no subterfuge, no hysterics.  Then I suggest he offers a solution that doesn't involve loss of face, the popo or any stunts that would create bad neighbors for life.  My bet- the problem will straighten itself out without the grand showdown so many here seem to crave.

Or you act like a man an tell them how much they owe you for the electricity and there will be a surcharge for every day they don't pay.

3 hours ago, fruitman said:

Welders do that because they use a big grinder which will blow the fuses in a house when it starts-up. They also do that here.

I am fully aware what welders do. I have a 9 inch bosch angle grinder, never had any problems with fuses.

Its the same with water.My wifes two sisters live either side of us.The shared water is usually about 450 baht a month.i always pay the 200.This month,one sister tiled the whole of her yard,and the other sister took in some washing and spent the whole month using her machine.The bill this month was close on 1100 baht. There is only one meter for the 3 houses.We were away for 7 days this bill time,and i refused to pay any more than the 200 that i normally pay.My wife gave her sister the 200 baht and the bill.There was much gnashing of teeth and wringing of hands and insults with the word felang mentioned.I still refused to pay.They eventually had to pay the remainder of the bill,because i told them that i could buy enough bottled water for the next ten years.I also told them that when i pave the whole of our yard next year,they will have to pay a third of the usage.No response,they paid up and then moaned about the keeniow felang married to their sister.In a situation like this,you have to make them understand,that i may be a felang but i aint f#####g stupid.They get away with it once, they will consider it a given for the future.

2 minutes ago, colinneil said:

I am fully aware what welders do. I have a 9 inch bosch angle grinder, never had any problems with fuses.

Guess you have the old melting fuses not the new breakerswitches? Those you have to hold when starting the grinder or help the grinder start manually by turning the disc.

They are 2500 watt those grinders and at startup can draw a lot of amps so the switch turns off. I also had that in europe in my house. The oldstyle fuses can stand it.

2 minutes ago, Khon Kaen Dave said:

Its the same with water.My wifes two sisters live either side of us.The shared water is usually about 450 baht a month.i always pay the 200.This month,one sister tiled the whole of her yard,and the other sister took in some washing and spent the whole month using her machine.The bill this month was close on 1100 baht. There is only one meter for the 3 houses.We were away for 7 days this bill time,and i refused to pay any more than the 200 that i normally pay.My wife gave her sister the 200 baht and the bill.There was much gnashing of teeth and wringing of hands and insults with the word felang mentioned.I still refused to pay.They eventually had to pay the remainder of the bill,because i told them that i could buy enough bottled water for the next ten years.I also told them that when i pave the whole of our yard next year,they will have to pay a third of the usage.No response,they paid up and then moaned about the keeniow felang married to their sister.In a situation like this,you have to make them understand,that i may be a felang but i aint f#####g stupid.They get away with it once, they will consider it a given for the future.

You falang kee nok krab...5555

But you are right, they try you out like kids can do and if it works than that's the new way of doing it for the rest of their lives.

I also taught the Thai that i'm not stupid, if i want to give something i will do it but don't assume i will always do so.

How would that happen, surely if no current going into meter from house how would any clock reading be recorded going out ?

Well where I live the meter is on a pole on the side of the road, after the meter, it goes into the house and the isolator switch. So if they've connected on the outgoing side, to their property, the meter will still read.

Sent from my SMART_4G_Speedy_5inch using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, fruitman said:

Guess you have the old melting fuses not the new breakerswitches? Those you have to hold when starting the grinder or help the grinder start manually by turning the disc.

They are 2500 watt those grinders and at startup can draw a lot of amps so the switch turns off. I also had that in europe in my house. The oldstyle fuses can stand it.

11 amps to be exact, and if your circuits or fuses can't handle that you' need to get your wiring checked.

Your wife is soft in the head if you are paying the bills. Either get the meter relocated closer to your property, or put an isolation switch in and lock it off while away. I wouldn't care if they steal from the electricity company, but I would  not be paying for thieves' power.

It's not just your neighbours you have to watch.

Some two years ago our local Amphur erected a number of street lights in our Soi.

I noticed they connected on the outgoing side of the meter, my meter, which meant I was paying for a light which covered four houses.

I disconnected it, but the neighbour soon complained, so I reconnected it on his meter.

Within a month electricians arrived to change all the connections over to the incoming side of the meters.

Edited by dentonian

2 hours ago, dentonian said:

11 amps to be exact, and if your circuits or fuses can't handle that you' need to get your wiring checked.

Nope. My house in Europe is installed according highest standards with the best electrical components on the market.

Breakers have to switch off if a group draws more than the set current which big angle grinders do at startup.  It's only for a second, after startup they draw within the limit of the breakerswitch. Oldstyle fuses can stand it for a second.

The welders probably know that so that's why they connect their equipment to the poles on the street. You think they do that for fun?