Working out average cost of a AC

Chuckles78

It's missing some data to calculate. Need the actual amperage (wattage) at max on.

Sticker tells you it'll set you back about 7K THB per year.

My estimate would be a bit below 2kWh, so around 7'ish THB / hour at normal rates

1 hour ago, Jdietz said:

It's missing some data to calculate. Need the actual amperage (wattage) at max on.

Sticker tells you it'll set you back about 7K THB per year.

My estimate would be a bit below 2kWh, so around 7'ish THB / hour at normal rates

your estimate is "slightly" off. a modern 9,000 btu/h unit uses 0.80 -0.85kWh.

I can't read what that sticker says so I used some online calculators and came up with this:

9000 BTU = 2.63 kw

2.63 kw x 1 hour = 2.63 kWh

2.63 kWh x 4.4 Baht = 11.57 Baht / Hour

PS, I'm not sure of power rates here, i believe 4.4 Baht is bangkok.

Using the same formula i worked out my 19'000 BTU aircon at Max costs 24.46 Baht/Hour.

The reason i wanted to work it out because I usually turn my a/c's on around 3-4pm for a few hours at Max then switch to fans when house is cool and dry.

9 minutes ago, Chuckles78 said:

I can't read what that sticker says so I used some online calculators and came up with this:

9000 BTU = 2.63 kw

2.63 kw x 1 hour = 2.63 kWh

2.63 kWh x 4.4 Baht = 11.57 Baht / Hour

PS, I'm not sure of power rates here, i believe 4.4 Baht is bangkok.

Using the same formula i worked out my 19'000 BTU aircon at Max costs 24.46 Baht/Hour.

The reason i wanted to work it out because I usually turn my a/c's on around 3-4pm for a few hours at Max then switch to fans when house is cool and dry.

wrong! you are using cooling capacity expressed nowadays in kilowatt.

your 19k btu/h uses ~2kWh which equals 8.8 Baht at the rate you have given.

A finger in the air guestimate is that an A/C pumps about three times what it consumes. So a 9000 BTU unit will use about 3000 BTU of power, that converts to 0.9kW.

So if it's running flat out that's 0.9 units per hour or 22 units per 24 hours. @ 4.2 Baht per unit that's 92 Baht a day or 2,700 per month.

Of course if the unit is correctly sized it will cycle on/off, at 30% duty cycle you're nearer 1,000 Baht per month.

2 hours ago, Crossy said:

A finger in the air guestimate is that an A/C pumps about three times what it consumes. So a 9000 BTU unit will use about 3000 BTU of power, that converts to 0.9kW.

and if you take SEER into consideration it might use 0.89 or perhaps 0.91kW. :smile:

i know it's "pearls before..." but i can't help it. none of the eggsburt aircon know-it-all websites mention that cooling capacity (not absolute energy consumption) depends on these factors which can increase or decrease capacity by up to 35%:

-ambient temperature

-ambient humidity

-indoor temperature prevailing

-indoor temperature thermostat setting

-indoor humidity

companies are nowadays cheating and do not publish which of the above-mentioned factors are used when stating cooling capacity. instead they are Béé-Essing customers with SEER ratings which are also irrelevant without mentioned all factors.

You got your answers for running full load, where you will save much money will be using the inverter type AC as it knows how to back down to the BTU output that will satisfy the thermostat without shutting off.  Inverter type AC's do not stop and start making the clunking noises either. Is there a draw back?  Yes if you fry the board inside somehow its very expensive [ lightning etc.].  I don't think that happens often but would love to hear some input on that.

Oh also I forgot to mention that with the inverter type you do not need to worry as much about the sizing of the unit as if its to big it will back down anyway, unless you are only using it for short periods of cooling, in that case oversizing is still a no no.

A nest of Jing Jooks on top of the printed circuit made a mess. When it was fixed the guy wrapped the new board in some covering to keep them out. A little bit concerned about the temperature of the board now but it has been OK for several months now

5 hours ago, Crossy said:

Thanks Crossy.  Your advice was very useful, not to mention the only post which made real sense to me. We all understand that there are so many variables in trying to calculate the running costs of an air-con unit, but your advice cut through all the technicalities and enabled a simple calculation to be made, which, in my particular case at least, gave a pretty reliable figure, which tied in with my electricity bill very well.

Sorry, but if you are hot, turn it on.

Remember, when it is hot out and it rains; the temperature in your house goes down. This is because your roof is a little cooler after the rain. What i do is send my maid outside with my garden hose and put water on the roof and outside wall, facing the sun for 10 minutes every hour, from noon to 4 pm.  Buy a 2 inch diameter hose, lots of water, to cool faster.

Just watch as the steam from off the top of your roof. This means it is cooling. Extra cost of water is about 200 baht/month. Cost saving for me in electric is 1,200 baht average.

3 hours ago, bark said:

Remember, when it is hot out and it rains; the temperature in your house goes down. This is because your roof is a little cooler after the rain.

it's not only because the roof cooled down. but you have also less heat transfer through windows and outside walls and your aircons (if switch on) work with an increased cooling capacity because of lower ambient temperature and high humidity which enhances condensing of the gaseous refrigerant. 

Just now, Naam said:

it's not only because the roof cooled down. but you have also less heat transfer through windows and outside walls and your aircons (if switch on) work with an increased cooling capacity because of lower ambient temperature and high humidity which enhances condensing of the gaseous refrigerant. 

Check

5 hours ago, Grubster said:

You got your answers for running full load, where you will save much money will be using the inverter type AC as it knows how to back down to the BTU output that will satisfy the thermostat without shutting off.  Inverter type AC's do not stop and start making the clunking noises either. Is there a draw back?  Yes if you fry the board inside somehow its very expensive [ lightning etc.].  I don't think that happens often but would love to hear some input on that.

Plus, tho you do save a small amount of money, 5% MAX on the AC part

of your electric bill, you must use it 18 hours a day,to realize the savings.

56 minutes ago, little mary sunshine said:

sorry, but that sounds like bé-ess to me. actually you don't save but you lose a bit on the "AC part" because of the loss converting AC to DC to change frequency and then back to AC to drive the compressor.

as i am a polite person i refrain from commenting on minimum use "18 hours a day" :smile:

1 hour ago, little mary sunshine said:

where did you get that information? Not even close.

Is this on about inverter units?  I'm a born-again convert for inverters.  I replaced a 9K BTU "standard" AC with a 12K BTU inverter and I couldn't be happier.  (I could explain the reason for that but maybe not now).   Anyway... I run the inverter about 18 hours per day versus 10 for the old one and the electric bill is maybe 200 baht LESS comparing to one year ago (6 months running so far).

I especially like the "dry"  (dehumidify) option for sleeping.  It just goes phhh all night and I can breathe without allergies kicking in.  I love it.

1 hour ago, Grubster said:

1 hour ago, Grubster said:

After talking with several  contractors two years ago, they were

really pushing to install inverter, I spoke with two neighbors that

went the inventor route, could not see difference in electric bills,

i opted for the Energy Efficient LG, saved 3000B and very happy

electric bills are very reasonable even in April and May, never 

over 2800B....