TM30 (Again) How do Imm expect compliance?

Yes, the law is impractical as written. An additional issue you do not stress is that different officials interpret the law in different ways. Just be thankful that, for the most part, the law around the TM-28 form is not enforced.

Where completely contradictory circumstances arise, Thai officials will deal with it by a process of negotiation. Sometimes, Thai law even codifies that process. Did you know that Thai tax law incorporates the concept of a "negotiated alternative tax"? This allows officials at an appropriate level to determine the tax an individual or company should pay via a process of negotiation. This overrides any other stipulations in the tax code. 

• Like 1

I say at the start that what I've been doing might not be the correct method but I've had no problems. In the past 5 years I've moved six times and each time I've asked the rental owner to sign the TM 30, supply copies of house registration and ID cards and taken these to immigration myself within 24 hours. At no time was I told the the owner had to do it or be present. Interpretation of the Law?

42 minutes ago, TKDfella said:

I say at the start that what I've been doing might not be the correct method but I've had no problems. In the past 5 years I've moved six times and each time I've asked the rental owner to sign the TM 30, supply copies of house registration and ID cards and taken these to immigration myself within 24 hours. At no time was I told the the owner had to do it or be present. Interpretation of the Law?

Almost everyone agrees that, as long as the form is correctly filled out with supporting documents, it can be lodged by anyone. The differences in interpretation come in other ways. Can you lodge the TM-30 form at the local police station if the immigration office is a long way away? Do you need to submit the TM-30 form again when you have been away? Who gets fined if the TM-30 form is not properly submitted? (Actually, on this last one, it is clear that it should not be the foreigner, but this happens because tracking down the householder would be a lot of work for the immigration officials, and travel to find the offender would not be reimbursable. Meanwhile, the foreigner has no choice but to pay up if he wants anything done.)

I guess once you get caught you'll worry about it. I asked this forum about this recently and got some good replies (thanks by the way). However, as I was staying a long way from Sakon Nakhon, I never did make it to immigration. I'm pretty sure they don't have any real way of checking tourists as I have many nights stay at girlfriend's house and at hotels that don't ask for passport.

Agree with Generalchaos.

Many people don't know the laws because it's not something they come into contact with. Even our local chief copper didn't believe me until I showed him the relevant references. His attitude was most foreigners don't cause trouble and I don't care what immigration rules are.

Thousands of farang mooving about the kingdom every day, 

and what? Maybe 3-4 reports of these fine given on this site?

Seems like you have better chance of struck by lightning,

Make me wonder if the few caught out so far have been the well known regulars that the staffers have to put up with time and again at the smaller offices.

The same species of buffalo,

fat, red faced,finger waving, loudly spoken billigerant type who is holding up the queue for 20 minutes when everyone seem to have no problem to get processed in 5 minutes 

5 hours ago, bamukloy said:

Thousands of farang mooving about the kingdom every day, 

and what? Maybe 3-4 reports of these fine given on this site?

Seems like you have better chance of struck by lightning,

Make me wonder if the few caught out so far have been the well known regulars that the staffers have to put up with time and again at the smaller offices.

The same species of buffalo,

fat, red faced,finger waving, loudly spoken billigerant type who is holding up the queue for 20 minutes when everyone seem to have no problem to get processed in 5 minutes 

My goodness, bamukloy, you should visit the Chiang Mai forum and read the TM30 thread, the thread on the Immigration office near the Airport and the thread on the Immigration office at Promenada mall.  There you'll find widespread discussion of enforcement of the TM30 requirement and numerous reports of people being fined.  "Maybe 3-4 report of these fine given on this site?"  Chiang Mai Immigration fines that many in a good hour for not having a TM30 on file!

• Like 1

On 11/15/2016 at 5:06 AM, Mattd said:

Lastly, for my own interest, what do you think would happen if a person had two active TM30 reports, so, one in the Bangkok area and one in Chonburi, with a TM28 for the Chonburi address, could the system handle that, or would one just cancel the other out?

As stated in a previous topic in the Pattaya forum, this would be for those, like me, who work in Bangkok during the week and go back to their main residence at weekends / holidays, proper TM30 compliance in these instances is just totally impractical!!

• The new TM.30 report cancels the other one out. TM.28 reports are only needed if you permanently change your registered address.
  • It is impractical, and I doubt many offices/IO's would insist that someone completes the TM.30 every time you change properties. As long as it's submitted for your 'main residence' that's all that is likely to be required.

As duly noted this law and requirement is ridiculous. I host a variety of individuals at my house; it is feasible that I may have to go to the nearest police station everyday sometimes to deliver this completed form. What a pain in the ass, and why? Indeed, coming home from Laos a couple of months ago I overnighted in Chiang Mai before going home the next day. Later, when I extended my visa a couple months after that, they pointed out a printed log that showed I stayed overnight in CM without reporting it. So, evidently the guest house reported it, and they expected me to go to the police station or wherever and report it too! Talk about duplication and a waste of time! The immigration ladies politely excused my negligence but told me they expected more dessert cakes the next time I visited them. ;)  So if my guests don't report their stay, and if I don't, who's to know? Of course my jealous idiot neighbours will know and THEY will report it. What a life.

I don't stress over it.

If I go somewhere on a very temporary basis, such as a couple of nights visiting a friend in another part of the country, I doubt the authorities could ever know about such an event.

For 99% of the time, it's either someone loses problem (eg hotel) or my actual long term residence which is permanently in the system already.

2 hours ago, BlindMagician said:

For 99% of the time, it's either someone loses problem (eg hotel) or my actual long term residence which is permanently in the system already.

If you are unlucky with your local immigration, your long-term residence being in the system does not exonerate you from reporting your reappearance every time you spend more than 24 hours away from home. Those who are really lucky have local immigration who still do not care about TM-30 reports at all. There is no consistency.

38 minutes ago, BritTim said:

If you are unlucky with your local immigration, your long-term residence being in the system does not exonerate you from reporting your reappearance every time you spend more than 24 hours away from home. Those who are really lucky have local immigration who still do not care about TM-30 reports at all. There is no consistency.

For the example case you quote, the TM 30 is not my problem is it.

I totally get this is a mad and impossible system.

My point was...don't stress.