Thai celebrity speaker denied visa to US

webfact

1 hour ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

And then a whiner will come on to whine about the whiners and now I'm whining about the whiner whining about the whiners.....this could go on forever ....and often does.

...and the lesson is....stop at Level One and join in like the rest of us parroting Thai bashers

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, irwinfc said:

is she the only one in Thailand capable of doing whatever it is she intends to do there? if so, does she have to be there in person? surely internet speed here is enough for a remote link. not newsworthy. i wonder why it's here.

Wonder no more.  It's here because it is newsworthy, your opinion about it's lack of worth doesn't count.

7 hours ago, Thechook said:

Farangs have to have a certain amount of money to go to Thailand also.  Works both ways

Farangs have to have a certain amount of money to go to Thailand also.  Works both ways

Not a fair comparison. To enter Thailand you have to have a really small amount of money that almost any westerner can afford. The USA wants to see that you have a substantial property ownership in your home country or a good job that pays well and have had for some time. The USA is maybe the toughest country in the world to get a visa for. I'm a US citizen married to a Thai woman for 8 years. And there is no assurance she could get a tourist visa to the USA. Fortunately neither of us has much interest in visiting the US. 

8 hours ago, Thechook said:

How much do you need to show for a Thai visa?! 20,000 Baht.

One of my Thai friends wanted to visit his sister in US but he was denied US tourist visa because he didn't have enough money in the bank and they though that he would go there to work because his sister is a neutralized US citizen... He only had 900,000 Baht in the bank and he owns a pharmacy and a pig farm with 20 employees!!! That's the difference a Thai and US visa.

4 minutes ago, Kasset Tak said:

How much do you need to show for a Thai visa?! 20,000 Baht.

One of my Thai friends wanted to visit his sister in US but he was denied US tourist visa because he didn't have enough money in the bank and they though that he would go there to work because his sister is a neutralized US citizen... He only had 900,000 Baht in the bank and he owns a pharmacy and a pig farm with 20 employees!!! That's the difference a Thai and US visa.

I had to show 400.000 baht to get my multiple non-o, married to a Thai woman.

3 minutes ago, Dan5 said:

Not a fair comparison. To enter Thailand you have to have a really small amount of money that almost any westerner can afford. The USA wants to see that you have a substantial property ownership in your home country or a good job that pays well and have had for some time. The USA is maybe the toughest country in the world to get a visa for. I'm a US citizen married to a Thai woman for 8 years. And there is no assurance she could get a tourist visa to the USA. Fortunately neither of us has much interest in visiting the US. 

3 minutes ago, Dan5 said:

Totally different. Thailand just wants to know that you have enough money to support yourself while in Thailand ( and they don't generally even check that). The USA wants to know that you have something in your home country that motivates you to go back there and not stay in the USA. 

1 minute ago, fruitman said:

I had to show 400.000 baht to get my multiple non-o, married to a Thai woman.

That's for a long term stay. 1 year plus extensions.  Generally you don't have to show anything for a short visit like this woman wants for the USA.

4 minutes ago, Dan5 said:

That's for a long term stay. 1 year plus extensions.  Generally you don't have to show anything for a short visit like this woman wants for the USA.

The woman should at least show a healthcare insurance i would think. Plus an insurance in case she damages somebody's property. The person inviting her has to be American i guess plus having money to guarantee she won't have to live on and off the street. That's how it works in Europe for my wife (who has sufficient funds but they don't care).

8 hours ago, Thechook said:

We do you get that westerns need the money thing, not at all on a fly in visa,you just fly and fly out in 30 days .

she is not going to live there is she .

denial of visa can be arbitrary also.  a thai friend that was a high school exchange student in america before becoming a registered nurse in thailand was denied a tourist visa to visit her hs friends.

her family is upper middle class.

said the consular guy was worried about her getting a job as a nurse and staying.

the thing is she could easily do that from outside of thailand and preferably so as nurses can often qualify for good visas as well as travel and accomodation provided.  the other thing is to employ a nurse, she must have the correct visa since private and government insurance reimburses.

i hope trump consular appointees will be more intelligent. 

57 minutes ago, fruitman said:

The woman should at least show a healthcare insurance i would think. Plus an insurance in case she damages somebody's property. The person inviting her has to be American i guess plus having money to guarantee she won't have to live on and off the street. That's how it works in Europe for my wife (who has sufficient funds but they don't care).

US Immigration doesn't require travelers health insurance unlike Europe.

4 minutes ago, atyclb said:

denial of visa can be arbitrary also.  a thai friend that was a high school exchange student in america before becoming a registered nurse in thailand was denied a tourist visa to visit her hs friends.

her family is upper middle class.

said the consular guy was worried about her getting a job as a nurse and staying.

the thing is she could easily do that from outside of thailand and preferably so as nurses can often qualify for good visas as well as travel and accomodation provided.  the other thing is to employ a nurse, she must have the correct visa since private and government insurance reimburses.

i hope trump consular appointees will be more intelligent. 

Oh yeah, Trump is only hiring the best. 

3 minutes ago, Pinot said:

it would seem trump and expats in thailand would already share camaraderie  

grab life shirt.jpg

8 hours ago, Pinot said:

Illustrating how tough it is to get my wife of 5 years into the US for a few weeks of visiting relatives. She doesn't work. She's a housewife. It's frustrating. We're going to try it again next month with some more new bogus financials. She felt the interview process was over last time when she said she doesn't own a house. I'm never buying here. I have a feeling it may work this time around, just because she's applying for the second time showing she's spending a lot of money each month here. Everything now goes through her bank account. 

Quote "She doesn't work. She's a housewife" ..... Being a housewife is a full-time occupation, unless they changed the job description.

5 hours ago, yellowboat said:

It is not like Thailand.  Most of the world lets you conduct business activities unfeathered.  Thailand is special of course.  Build a boat in your back yard and face the consequences. 

You found me out I am building a submarine in the back yard to save the Thai government money. 

9 hours ago, halloween said:

Doesn't the US have laws regarding working on a tourist visa? I'm sure they have enough home-grown BS artists.

Good point.  There are lots of non-immigrant visa types. Seems to me she would have applied either for the Q Visa (International Cultural Exchange) or  the  H-3 (Training in a program not primarily for employment). There's also the B-1 business visa and, of course, the ordinary B-2 tourist/visitor visa. She made a mistake if she applied for a B-2 and then said she planned to give lectures. But there's a big difference between a US passport and a Thai passport, and especially a Chinese one.

Edited by Dustdevil

1 hour ago, Pinot said:

Every country in the world has the right to arbitrarily deny a visa at the consular level, and they do...and they do not have to explain the reason(s). The visa officer has that power and does not have to check with his/her superior. Furthermore upon arrival, immigration officers have the very same power. Some naive travelers think international travel is a "fundamental human right." (I've actually seen that here in TV.)