Stallions Max 250 2017

KhruGin

• 3 months later...
On 5/20/2018 at 4:40 PM, MartinL said:

I like my 250 Max a lot. I've been a classic Ducati bloke mainly (with some modern Triumphs, Suzukis etc. thrown in) in my other life and this style of bike suits me well now. I don't do many miles and 95% of what I do are on Isaan backroads, 300 - 500 km trips rather than short in-town use.  

I bought one in red, silver engine and cast wheels. I don't like drab-coloured bikes and black engines but my local dealer seems to sell far, far more black/matt bikes than red/white/green/orange, although maybe those colours aren't so easily available from Stallions, I don't know. I also didn't want wire wheels - the cast wheels are suitable for tubeless tyres, bringing all the advantages of tyre choice and  increased safety.

The standard tyres (I'm guessing) make for poor steering at slow speed - so much so that, after riding mine home from the shop first time, I checked the steering head races for overtightness but they were fine. I've now got used to them but the feeling persists - I'll change them for lower-profile Pirellis or Michelins when they're worn a bit more and that'll mean chopping an inch or so off the sidestand.

Engine is flexible and I can put it in top at about 40 kph and still have reasonable acceleration without jerking. Top speed solo has been 128kph on my GPS, 120 with MrsL on board. Fuel economy so far about 32 km/litre or so, about 90 mp(UK)g if that's more to your taste. Fuel goes onto reserve when two bars show on the fuel gauge and I can then get about 9 litres in the tank, giving a reserve of about 3 litres/90 km. 

Engine is almost identical to an old Suzuki design which means a free workshop manual for the engine is available online if you want it.

Speedo and odo are 100% accurate according to my GPS. The speedo needle is steady. 

Neutral very easy to find both when stationary and rolling forward. Gear selection is light and positive but a bit awkward when MrsL is on board. Clutch is good and light. Gear indicator is OK but I don't use it.

Neither myself nor my wife are big but seat is cramped two-up. Plenty of room solo.

Idiot lights are small and useless in daylight, but that seems common to many bikes - it was certainly the case with my last Kawasaki.

Brakes lack 'feel' but, despite that, do their job adequately. However, I'll be changing to EBC pads soon which will (I hope) improve performance.

Front suspension can be a bit harsh but is well damped, rear is fine.

Starting is easy but needs choke and the engine takes a while to warm up to tickover off choke. Warming up can't be done on the sidestand - there's no switch arrangement to allow the bike to run in neutral with sidestand down - use a paddock stand or by-pass the sidestand switch.

Paintwork is as good as the day I got it. Nothing's fallen off. No rust evident. I plan on changing a few more things one of these days but that's part of the attraction of this CHEAP and simple bike, IMO - experimenting is easy.

If I can answer any other questions, just ask away.

One thing I would say, though, is that Stallions have just announced a new 250 which might mean this one is no longer available, which would be a pity. I started a thread about the new 250 Makina here a little while ago. Look it up - you might like that one even more.

Hi ML, I have been looking at the Kawa W175 (enough power with an NSR carb - it's a Boss with only 5 gears) and the Max 250 as replacements for my TZM - although a good CBR 150R would be the sensible choice. Pics attached of my bikes ? Thanks for your erudite comments - I too am mostly a back-roads rider. Sixty two next month and been living here half my life.

AJS YAMAHA RX-S RESTO-MOD.jpg

AJS 2.JPG

AJEC VR-46.JPG

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

Hey everybody. I've been reading a lot on here about this bike and hear good things. But the biggest question is, how is the 400cc Scrambler offroad? Is it a true Scrambler or similar to the Ducati Scrambler, just aesthetically a Scrambler? 

The price point of this bike is great, but my philosophy of use will be all terrain. I need a bike that's good on long highway rides, but also capable offroad as well. After reading some bad reviews and hearing the quality of the Stallion was rubbish, I decided to go for the Royal Enfield Himalayan, but this is priced better, and I like the sleek look and weight difference more, so I'm revisiting it. 

What is your guys opinion of the quality of the build? Does it seem like it will last a long time? How are the welds? But most importantly, has anyone taken it off road and if so, how did it fair? This will be the first bike I purchase. 

Thank you in advance. 

On 11/18/2016 at 12:43 PM, Richard-BKK said:

No doubt that the people behind Stallions Motorcycle knew that Tiger Motorcycle went bankrupt, and nothing is better than buying a production facility from a bankrupt company – especially if you in the same line of business. And it’s probably very likely that some people working at Stallions Motorcycle Samut Prakan factory also worked for Tiger Motorcycles – most workers lived in the area and understandable if another manufacturer opened shop they applied for work…

Stallions Motorcycle has nothing to do with Tiger Motorcycles, even one production facilities has the same address, and Tiger Motorcycles made about 9 or 10 years ago some Stallions motorcycles...

125, 0r 250 cc engines?

Stopped by a shop in Pattaya today that sold used bikes. They had Stallion 150's, 4 yrs old with 0 miles unsold used to be new. Some looked pretty rough, the chrome was all pitted with rust. That changed my mind on a Stallion.