Stallions Max 250 2017

KhruGin

It does looks very very cool and should be a hit with many Thais.

Are you sure that green one haven't been modded by the shop selling it? I often sees shops selling parts have a bike heavy modified to show off and sell some parts, some times the shop owners own bike.

I don't see many Stallions 400cc around but lots of 150cc.

• Like 1

Don't know about this particular model but I've tried to contact Stallions on a quite few occasions using (I think) 3 different e-mail addresses that Stallions publish in their website and Facebook. No reply to anything despite the questions being in Thai & English. I've even resorted to asking questions on Stallions TV Youtube videos - it appears to be a promotional tool for the Stallions company - but, again, no response. I'd be reluctant to buy the product of a company that can't be bothered to respond to genuine e-mail enquiries (although I know that's a typical Thai response) but there's something about their bikes that just grabs my interest, being a classic bike buff.

I might be interested in this 250 - there's a Centaur 250 Max and a 250 Cafe Racer, which might explain the different prices, and Youtube videos of you search for Centaur 250 - but I'd e-mailed them about the 400 scrambler. It's not at my local dealer yet - the Stallions-listed official dealer in my area -  and they don't know when it'll arrive.

Look at these:-

https://www.facebook.com/stallionsmotor/

http://www.stallionsmotor.com/2016/ 

https://www.instagram.com/stallionsmotor/?hl=en 

250 isn't mentioned anywhere that I can see.

I might try the phone or fax numbers next.

Edited by MartinL

Price difference seems to be alloy or spoked wheels , zoom in to the orange one.  Its crazy that a company will "invest" millions into a product ( a good one at that ) , many people will attempt to make contact to further enquire or purchase and yet Martins story seems far too common. Many Thai / Chinese / Asian companies seem to fall at this last point.

4 hours ago, guzzi850m2 said:

It does looks very very cool and should be a hit with many Thais.

Are you sure that green one haven't been modded by the shop selling it?

I'm fairly sure it is stock as the sales lad said the green one on the stand is 72,500 baht and same price as red one in advert behind and if you do a good zoom in the red one has the same numberplate mount, seat etc.. Also asked him as to how many colours these will be available in and the answer was three as in OP.

3 hours ago, ktm jeff said:

Price difference seems to be alloy or spoked wheels , zoom in to the orange one.  Its crazy that a company will "invest" millions into a product ( a good one at that ) , many people will attempt to make contact to further enquire or purchase and yet Martins story seems far too common. Many Thai / Chinese / Asian companies seem to fall at this last point.

Thx for that yep the wheels in the main make the difference too me thinks. Yep, ok it was 3 in the afternoon and  mainly in the evening when people walk around the fair, but they left this huge stall with some 40 bikes to one saleskid who didn't seem to know much about nothing ...I saw other potential Thai customers trying to engage him and off he went in the other direction with a can of spray polish ....yep, not the way to run a company and win customers eh.

11 hours ago, MartinL said:

I'd e-mailed them about the 400 scrambler.

I saw that at a shopping center display and it looks great. It's a bit bigger than the promo pictures let on. But a great price point too at 116k baht.

That 250 looks great. I really like these Stallions. 

To look at. :D Have never ridden one, probably never will unfortunately. 

12 hours ago, MartinL said:

Don't know about this particular model but I've tried to contact Stallions on a quite few occasions using (I think) 3 different e-mail addresses that Stallions publish in their website and Facebook. No reply to anything despite the questions being in Thai & English. I've even resorted to asking questions on Stallions TV Youtube videos - it appears to be a promotional tool for the Stallions company - but, again, no response. I'd be reluctant to buy the product of a company that can't be bothered to respond to genuine e-mail enquiries (although I know that's a typical Thai response) but there's something about their bikes that just grabs my interest, being a classic bike buff.

I might be interested in this 250 - there's a Centaur 250 Max and a 250 Cafe Racer, which might explain the different prices, and Youtube videos of you search for Centaur 250 - but I'd e-mailed them about the 400 scrambler. It's not at my local dealer yet - the Stallions-listed official dealer in my area -  and they don't know when it'll arrive.

Look at these:-

https://www.facebook.com/stallionsmotor/

http://www.stallionsmotor.com/2016/ 

https://www.instagram.com/stallionsmotor/?hl=en 

250 isn't mentioned anywhere that I can see.

I might try the phone or fax numbers next.

“I'd be reluctant to buy the product of a company that can't be bothered to respond to genuine e-mail inquiries” if you’re serious about not buying a motorcycle from companies that do not respond to e-mail you probably not buy anything soon... Maybe you should try Benelli, they responded to an e-mail pretty quick... (maybe I was just lucky)

28 minutes ago, naboo said:

Stallions made in the same factory my Tiger Boxer 250RS was.

This means I can't recommend them. :sad:

The last Stallions motorcycle made by Tiger Motorcycles was about 9 or 10 years ago, Stallions Motorcycle now-a-day have there own factories. They even have a factory in Laos…

Some similarities remain between Tiger Motorcycles and Stallions Motorcycle, as they both use Zongshen and Shineray for sourcing engine parts and as partners.

In the time that Tiger Motorcycles started to produce lesser quality Boxer 250 motorcycles they stopped purchasing parts from Zongshen and bought parts from no-name suppliers that could also supply the parts that Tiger Motorcycles needed to produce the copy of the Sachs X-Road 250, which they called Tiger X-Road 250… it didn’t take long before Sachs stopped that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, naboo said:

Stallions made in the same factory my Tiger Boxer 250RS was.

This means I can't recommend them. :sad:

Might be the same factory but I doubt they're actually made there. Part-assembled and given a local 'tweak', maybe, but totally manufactured there? I somehow doubt it.

I read somewhere - can't find it now - that the 250 is a Suzuki engine made in China under Japanese supervision. I've also read that the 400s are made by Shineray (I think that's been accepted) using the original tooling that they used to make the Honda XBR etc. engines for Honda in the 80s - I owned 2 of these & they were fun bikes if not particularly exciting at that point in my life. Don't know how true either of those statements are. Lots of stories but few hard facts.

The 400s are sold here as 'Stallions', in France & UK (maybe others) as 'Mash', in USA as 'Genuine', in Poland as 'Romet' and 'Motorstar' in Philippines. Many of the smaller Stallions are also sold under the Chinese brand name of 'Somoto' and were exhibited at an Italian bike exhibition in 2015 under the Stallions name, including engine capacities not available here.

This 250 is sold in France as the Mash Cafe Racer 250, with some cosmetic additions but pretty much the same bike.

I doubt a small Thai company has the capacity or clout to manufacture for and sell to all those countries and more. My bet is that Stallions is basically a marketing brand with a small capacity for making the bikes suitable for Thai buyers but that they're all Chinese. The 400s are certainly Chinese but none the worse for that - roadtests from USA, UK, Netherlands that I've seen or read all give a good opinion of them. Whether or not you believe roadtests is up to you. Opinions I've had from owners of the smaller Stallions bikes have all been positive, sometimes glowing.

Being Chinese in origin wouldn't put me off Stallions bikes any more than I was put off buying Ducatis in the late 60s to 70s when they had a reputation for being great performers but not something you'd want to own - poor paint & electrics, fragile engines but OH!! the handling & performance!!! Never had a real problem with any of the 9 Dukes I've owned and I'll give the benefit of the doubt to Chinese bikes based on that experience.

EDIT - I believe the early Tiger Boxer 250RSs were good but that there weren't many of them, it was the later bikes with the slab-sided engines that were rubbish, apparently. There was recently one of the early bikes for sale here on TVF 'Bikes for Sale' by its original owner with 180,000 km  on the clock and still going strong.  

Edited by MartinL

15 hours ago, naboo said:

The Stallions factory in Samut Prakan has the same address as the now shut down Tiger factory. Probably the same workers.

No doubt that the people behind Stallions Motorcycle knew that Tiger Motorcycle went bankrupt, and nothing is better than buying a production facility from a bankrupt company – especially if you in the same line of business. And it’s probably very likely that some people working at Stallions Motorcycle Samut Prakan factory also worked for Tiger Motorcycles – most workers lived in the area and understandable if another manufacturer opened shop they applied for work…

Stallions Motorcycle has nothing to do with Tiger Motorcycles, even one production facilities has the same address, and Tiger Motorcycles made about 9 or 10 years ago some Stallions motorcycles...

On 17/11/2016 at 8:50 PM, naboo said:

The Stallions factory in Samut Prakan has the same address as the now shut down Tiger factory. Probably the same workers.

Employing the same bunch of guys on the shop floor means nothing, the management team are the people who count, just ask Nissan UK. Workers are basically robots on a production line, no offence, but we are talking semi skilled workers.

So if the design is good, middle management good and inspection is on the ball, that just leave the PDI (pre-delivery inspection). With my Lifan the PDI was a bit lacking, so needed a spanner and a new seat cover. Having seen these machines up close the quality looks good-sh, except the nickle/chrome is a little thin.

That said they have great style, very nice sound and the kids seem to have a whole lot of fun on them, too small for me though (read FB). The 250 should go well, but I think the overall bike is the same as the 150cc. Correct me if I am wrong.

Found out a little more at same fair stand today. Also available in black, making 4 choices including red, green, and orange. Yes the price difference is the mag versus spoke wheels but it appears only spoke wheels offered on the orange one (however the more knowledgeable sales man said this may be subject to change.) 

Will be on sale very late December and most outlets not until January, oh they are not on sale yet but can be reserved for 2000 baht and this dealer alone has about 30 reserves so far. Comes with 2 year warranty or 20,000 km's whichever the sooner.

As for those, what can you call em high profile, tyres front 4.00 17, rear 4.50 17, asked if could change for sensible tyres something like you get on an MT03 or TNT300 for example and the answer was 'probably' ...IMO would be a great improvement and even the guy said 'not a bike for pushing hard in corners' given these tyres. However changing would put the speedo out of whack somewhat.

Seems pre-sales going well, Thai's and the odd guava will lap em up at this price.

^ From above post. Seems the 4th colour black one has spoke wheels and different 'tracker style' tyres too like the orange one in OP. I guess this black one above is 69,800 baht.

As the last salesman I spoke to indicated 'subject to change' ....it's probably black and orange with spokes and red and green with mags ....but never know could be option on all 4 to have mags or spokes. Lol, not easy getting all the right info from these folk. 

Thx for the pics above Maz.

• Like 1

.... and lol just noticed the black and orange ones have brown knee tank covers and black engines (plus spoke wheels and tracker tyres), black forks and are probably both 69,800 baht ....whereas red and green ones no knee tank covers, silver engines, and mag wheels with big old car tyres on em, and gold forks which are both 72,500 baht.

So I am guessing there are no other options than this and this is two styles in two available colours each style and at two prices ....that's my best guess (detest assuming though). Let's all wait for the Stallions glossy brochure next month eh.

Edited by KhruGin
  • Like 2

I went and had a look at the 250 Friday and I must say they looks very nice.

I was quoted 70k baht but the salesman's English was not good.

He told me that over 20 are on order and it's a mix of Thais and expats that ordered them. 

No wonder, you are getting a very cool looking bike for your money and if you just wants to cruise along no need for more. 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Anybody else bought one of these yet?  Had mine for a few months and very happy with it albeit the limited use it gets.  Would be interested if any other owners have done any basic modifications.  I was thinking maybe raising the handlebars for a more upright riding position and maybe changing the rubber (mine the same as the black one in above posts)?  Comments from owners would be appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

the difference in price is because of the option for the wheels

Stallions Centaur 250 Max Price 69,800 Baht (Stingray Wire) and 72,300 Baht (Alloy Wheels) 

the one you have in the picture should be the ones with alloy wheels, 72,300.

here is another version of the same bike with the Stingray wire Wheels.

personally i prefer the alloy wheels. Looks much better. 

STALLIONS-CENTAUR-250-MAX-01.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 5/8/2017 at 9:42 PM, Moonmoon said:

the difference in price is because of the option for the wheels

Stallions Centaur 250 Max Price 69,800 Baht (Stingray Wire) and 72,300 Baht (Alloy Wheels) 

the one you have in the picture should be the ones with alloy wheels, 72,300.

here is another version of the same bike with the Stingray wire Wheels.

personally i prefer the alloy wheels. Looks much better. 

STALLIONS-CENTAUR-250-MAX-01.jpg

Let's hear from some recent buyers. Am looking to replace my Raider. As much as I hate the Chinese bikes.....this 250 looks awesome. First thing though....get rid of that aweful Stallion medallion on front wheel.

Come on guys....shout out your thoughts.