Thai police arrest international Aussie fugitive in Bangkok

Jonathan Fairfield

Thai police arrest international Aussie fugitive in Bangkok

tna.png

BANGKOK:-- Bangkok crime suppression police have announced the arrest of well known international fugitive Guido James Eglitis.

The seventy year old has been on the run from down under for the last nine years. He is wanted on a warrant related to the kidnap of a businessman in 2007. 

He is also named in charges related to robbery and impersonating a police officer.

He was once featured on a TV show about notorious scammers and swindlers.

He was arrested at a hotel in Sukhumvit Road Soi 22 yesterday after exchanges of information between Interpol, the Australian Embassy and the Thai police.

Work is underway to deport him to Australia to face the charges. He made no comment saying he would fight the case in Australia.

The Australian authorities knew that he had been living in Cambodia.

He was arrested there last year and released a few weeks ago.

He arrived in Thailand at the beginning of this month and the Thais were soon on his tail resulting in yesterday's arrest.

Eglitis is said to hail from Warnambool.

Source: Thai News Agency:

RELATED: Australian wanted on torture charges spotted free in Bangkok

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-11-17

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

30 minutes ago, zorro1 said:

Caught, good work BIB!!

After a photo of him was circulated in a bar and requests were made from Interpol and the Australian embassy the BIB realised they were looking pretty stupid and should try and find the well known recognised fugitive that somehow managed to enter their country unnoticed for a number of weeks. Yes well done BIB your the best.

Good work to the Thai police.

Wonder how many other savings this bit of dirt has taken from honest people. Great Aussie name. Obviously was a quality immigrant to Australia that thought he could scam and cheat the locals.

Good riddance

Edited by Winkburn

People claim the BiB are useless , lazy and corrupt. The say the politicians are self serving and selfish. They constantly slate thais for being inefficient and bad at their jobs.  They complain that the internet is slow and unreliable , that nothing works as it should . 

Then they ask how an experienced , connected career criminal could cross a border between two developing nations.

Go to almost any point along the Mekong or the boarder with Laos or  Myanmar and watch how immigrant workers cross  as they please with no checks. 

I suspect 500baht and a simple story about a lost passport would be enough to get a boat ride across during the night whilst everyone elese is sleeping.

32 minutes ago, hawker9000 said:

'Dunno.  (And how would anyone here?)   But I'll bet some higher-ups in Immigration are asking the same question.

The higher ups are probably too busy patting each other's backs, to give a toss about an immigration officers fumble

and he's probably pretty pleased to be deported... better there than here.

its a lovely little ending for everyone really, as we see a seventy year old released to Australian protection, with three hots and a cot, in minimum security, for maybe two years, at his age... not to mention free medical.

Great! Now they made some good work again. Now the so much finger slapping comment goes back to all that bash the BIB in this forum all the time.

Still there are some already that try to make a joke about how he came in. Some just don´t learn when it´s better to be quiet.

Just good work and a lot of nice co-operation with other authorities. One down, more to go... Keep it up!

12 hours ago, fruitman said:

And he got it! That's the power of being dressed well, makes a world of difference in Thailand.

" . . . the power of being dressed well . . ."  Hmmmm, seems it only impresses those who can be easily fooled.

3 minutes ago, bander said:

At least five BIB officers in the room and no pointing fingers.....Disappointing :-)

Disappointing?...unless your pointing (yeah.. yeah... we got a pointing outta that ?. )

out that perhaps Thai police have started realizing TV readers are continually discussing their pointed attitudes about pointing... in which case, big brother is reading this forum..... just wanted to point that out. ???

12 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

He was arrested at a hotel in Sukhumvit Road Soi 22 yesterday after exchanges of information between Interpol, the Australian Embassy and the Thai police

He was on BKK and facebook pages 2 weeks ago !! More likely someone seen it and told a local cop.

25 minutes ago, Winkburn said:

Good work to the Thai police.

Wonder how many other savings this bit of dirt has taken from honest people. Great Aussie name. Obviously was a quality immigrant to Australia that thought he could scam and cheat the locals.

Good riddance

Yes it is a great Ozzy name,along with Shultz,Nyguen,Mohamed,ect.Australia is an immigrant nation.

24 minutes ago, smotherb said:

" . . . the power of being dressed well . . ."  Hmmmm, seems it only impresses those who can be easily fooled.

Then it's easy to fool most of the Thai. It makes a huge difference how they treat you, try it yourself! Buy the most expensive blouse you can find (or lookalike, they can't see the price only how it looks on you), wear nice pants/shoes and they'll even open the doors for you while waiing..serious.

You can even buy some (fake) big golden jewelry or (copy) watches to top it off...and a nice haircut of course. Keep your cellphone in the hand (put a cover around it if it's a cheapo). Some fake medals from the market on the blouse also help.

I have one black blouse which looks very expensive but isn't and it always amazes me how the treat me when i wear it. ALL the Thai, they won't even come close to me.

2 minutes ago, fruitman said:

Then it's easy to fool most of the Thai. It makes a huge difference how they treat you, try it yourself! Buy the most expensive blouse you can find (or lookalike, they can't see the price only how it looks on you), wear nice pants/shoes and they'll even open the doors for you while waiing..serious.

You can even buy some (fake) big golden jewelry or (copy) watches to top it off...and a nice haircut of course. Keep your cellphone in the hand (put a cover around it if it's a cheapo). Some fake medals from the market on the blouse also help.

I have one black blouse which looks very expensive but isn't and it always amazes me how the treat me when i wear it. ALL the Thai, they won't even come close to me.

And that is how you would be sure to get a teachers job at my old school....and  how that pedophile arrested last week got teaching jobs here so easily. 

Just now, ThaiFelix said:

And that is how you would be sure to get a teachers job at my old school....and  how that pedophile arrested last week got teaching jobs here so easily. 

I've been asked to become a teacher in BKK several times, only by the way i look, i'm not even a teacher nor a nativ english speaker but that didn't bother them. I also don't have a workpermit and they approached me on the street. I was wearing a nice blouse that time though which i stopped doing on the street because there's water dropping everywhere and dustclouds/fumes from traffic. Passing hot oil pans or streetvendors also ruins my clothes.