Where can I buy mince pies in Pattaya?

zombie nights

Maybe a bit early in Thailand for Chrismas goodies; in the UK goods are on the shelves in September. Go to Central Beach Road, the very bottom floor. Marks & Spencers at Beach Road end should have them at an eye watering price or Tops food market at 2nd Road end should also stock them. Someone will undoubtedly be along here shortly to give you a recipe for making your own.

Many thanks to champers for your suggestions. I happened to be in Central Dept store last evening and went into the Food section of M&S. They do have certain Xmas fare, such as tinned "Christmas Pudding". Could not find any mince pies and asked the staff.

I repeated the phrase 'm-I-n-c-e p-I-e-s" more than once in my best Thai English ; alas they did not have a clue what I was talking about!

In any event I will when convenient check other stores like TOPS.

Cheers!

On 19/11/2559 at 5:00 PM, RabC said:

Friendship stocks them closer to the day. M&S have had them in previous years but again closer to the day, shelf life here isn't great. Friendship also sells Robertsons Mincemeat and frozen pastry...........

Do they sell mincemeat all the year round ? We are due to make our annual Christmas shopping trip to Pattaya over the next few weeks, and I'll get a couple of extra jars if they do. If anyone knows where we can get Brandy Snaps, or Christmas Puddings I'd appreciate a heads up, thank you.

On 20/11/2016 at 8:19 PM, MrMuddle said:

Do they sell mincemeat all the year round ? We are due to make our annual Christmas shopping trip to Pattaya over the next few weeks, and I'll get a couple of extra jars if they do. If anyone knows where we can get Brandy Snaps, or Christmas Puddings I'd appreciate a heads up, thank you.

Yes mincemeat is there all year round but you have to search sometimes its with the jams and I have found it on the isle behind near the curry sauces...........

Don't know what mincepie has with xmas, but there are several pieshops in Pattaya.

My favorite is Fons Food on Thepprasit Rd, side road/alley Soi 5/1, next to the Honda and Paint SUTON shop.

Freshly made and cooked in house, no factory stuff. All frozen.

PM if you want detailed directions and phonenumber

11 hours ago, BrainLife said:

Don't know what mincepie has with xmas, but there are several pieshops in Pattaya.

For Brits, a mince(meat) pie has nothing to do with pie shops. Nor does it contain any meat.

A mince pie is a sweet pastry containing a mixture of dried fuits that is generally eaten at Xmas. And very nice it is too. Imagine Christmas cake flavours in a pastry case and you wont be far wrong.

http://www.whychristmas.com/customs/mincepies.shtml

and for the history:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mince_pie

Edited by KittenKong

I checked out Villa yesterday for Christmas goodies and all they seemed to have were some over-priced Swiss chocolates and tinsel.

So I trekked on to Central and in the food hall I found these, an up-market mince pie:

LN_460048_BP_11.jpg

Not cheap at over 200 Baht but I had a box last year and they went down well with a cup of coffee and some fresh cream. Instead of the usual pastry crust on top they use a Bakewell tart kind of topping.

13 minutes ago, Guderian said:

I checked out Villa yesterday for Christmas goodies and all they seemed to have were some over-priced Swiss chocolates and tinsel.

So I trekked on to Central and in the food hall I found these, an up-market mince pie:

LN_460048_BP_11.jpg

Not cheap at over 200 Baht but I had a box last year and they went down well with a cup of coffee and some fresh cream. Instead of the usual pastry crust on top they use a Bakewell tart kind of topping.

An ' there wuz me thinkin' Morag Massie an' her sister Liz wuz the only tarts frae Ecclefechan...

I was out on Lk metro/soi Buk last night plenty of very tasty looking tarts about :thumbsup:

A nice shortcrust pastry mince pie with a dusting of icing sugar would go down very nicely with my coffee as we speak............sadly I cannot find any :sad:

On ‎11‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 0:25 PM, zombie nights said:

Many thanks to champers for your suggestions. I happened to be in Central Dept store last evening and went into the Food section of M&S. They do have certain Xmas fare, such as tinned "Christmas Pudding". Could not find any mince pies and asked the staff.

I repeated the phrase 'm-I-n-c-e p-I-e-s" more than once in my best Thai English ; alas they did not have a clue what I was talking about!

In any event I will when convenient check other stores like TOPS.

Cheers!

had no idea there was an M&S here but anyway..........

for items that I think might be hard to explain to Thai I pull up a pic on the internet and take a photo with my phone then just show them the photo..works every time

There is an English baker living around lake Mabprachan from whom I have ordered his first class Christmas pudding, Christmas cake and mInce pies for a few years now. He primarily supplies in quantity to commercial clients but does have a small base of direct customers like myself. PM me and will send his name and phone number.

Central in Bangkok has quite a large range of Waitrose Christmas goodies, various Christmas Cakes and puddings and mince pies, so I wonder if Central there might also have a stock. Tops here have a few iced fruit slices but not mince pies.

The Waitrose mince pies are really nice, I need to buy some more now. 

When you eventually find the mince pies keep them in the freezer just taking out what you want at the time. I do this and prolong the expiry date. Consider just getting the jars of mincemeat (which have a longer shelf life) and baking them yourself, plenty of recipes on the net and then freeze them. Very easy to make and while your baking your own, make apple pies, other fruit pies and freeze them as well.

5 hours ago, AlQaholic said:

Mince meat? sound kinda generic? meat is generic, so could be anything basically?

The nuances of the English language, as used by English people, can be very confusing for foreigners.

For instance the difference between mincemeat (minced fruit) which is used in a sweet "mince pie" and minced meat/meat mince (minced flesh) which is used in a variety of savoury dishes and pies.

But we know what we're "on about".

Mincemeat - Wikipedia

Edited by Enoon