10 Reasons Not To Put Nitrogen In Your Tyres.

gdgbb

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Read this some months ago. Didn't look again.

Seems to me that it's the cost that's why it's not worth it.

He also says that they run hotter.

When I had my 4 tyres changed they put Nitrogen in them had no choice. Cost free, also top up if I wanted again free.

Did I notice any difference No. Temp: stayed the same if not slightly lower. Don't see that it makes any difference if it's free.

And before any one asks how I know about temp: I have an electric tyre pressure & Temp gauge in the lump: it gives me a read out on individual tyres every 15 seconds.

Conclusion if you have to pay don't bother but if it's free up to you.

Don't see what this meaningless vid is on about his more of a crank than an expert.

Tyres run cooler with N2 and you can check the psi whenever you want.

The vid rant is just about spending money on N2 in Oz and as said has a different price comparison in Thailand.

The N2 in tyres does keep psi pressure l have found in my use of it 4 times longer than air,  whether a person uses it or not is as they say here  " It's to you ".  :biggrin:

1 minute ago, Kwasaki said:

Don't see what this meaningless vid is on about his more of a crank than an expert.

The vid rant is just about spending money on N2 in Oz and as said has a different price comparison in Thailand.

The N2 in tyres does keep psi pressure l have found in my use of it 4 times longer than air,  whether a person uses it or not is as they say here  " It's to you ".  :biggrin:

Yes, it's up to you.....And you are correct, tyres do hold their pressures better with N2O...I have that T-shirt too...:stoner:

3 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

How can tyres inflated with nitrogen run cooler than tyres inflated with air in the same circumstances?  Heat produced in the tyre is a result of the work the tyres do, nothing to do with what's inside them.

His 'rant' is nothing to do with just the expense in Australia, it's about the fact that it's a scam wherever it is found, regardless of the price.  Nitrogen doesn't help, measurably, in any way for road cars so it's not needed, that's a scam.  If you want to use it do so.

For the same wheel, in the exact same condition, with the same minute leaks, it is impossible for nitrogen filled tyres to measurably hold pressure better than air, how could it be possible?  If air can leak out of your tyres then so can nitrogen.

2 minutes ago, gdgbb said:

How can tyres inflated with nitrogen run cooler than tyres inflated with air in the same circumstances?  Heat produced in the tyre is a result of the work the tyres do, nothing to do with what's inside them.

His 'rant' is nothing to do with just the expense in Australia, it's about the fact that it's a scam wherever it is found, regardless of the price.  Nitrogen doesn't help, measurably, in any way for road cars so it's not needed, that's a scam.  If you want to use it do so.

For the same wheel, in the exact same condition, with the same minute leaks, it is impossible for nitrogen filled tyres to measurably hold pressure better than air, how could it be possible?  If air can leak out of your tyres then so can nitrogen.

As kwaks says, up to you....But living in LOS for many years HE and TRANS know that N2O keeps hold of pressure....NOW, if you or anyone else wants to call us liars, well that is up to you too...In LOS we pay nothing for N2O, if l had to pay l would not because l have a compressor at home..The vid is clearly about folk paying for something they don't need to pay for...Thats cool, cos l would not pay for it...

3 hours ago, transam said:

Yes, it's up to you.....And you are correct, tyres do hold their pressures better with N2O...I have that T-shirt too...:stoner:

The OP is about nitrogen in tyres but you think that inflating tyres with nitrous oxide enables them to hold pressure better, and you have experience of it?  How does that work then?  How can it work?

Just now, gdgbb said:

The OP is about nitrogen in tyres but you think that inflating tyres with nitrous oxide enables them to hold pressure better, and you have experience of it?  How does that work then?  How can it work?

Well spotted, am laughing now.....:cheesy:

6 minutes ago, transam said:

As kwaks says, up to you....But living in LOS for many years HE and TRANS know that N2O keeps hold of pressure....NOW, if you or anyone else wants to call us liars, well that is up to you too...In LOS we pay nothing for N2O, if l had to pay l would not because l have a compressor at home..The vid is clearly about folk paying for something they don't need to pay for...Thats cool, cos l would not pay for it...

I'd love to know how you get nitrous oxide free of charge in Thailand.

Edited by gdgbb

2 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

I run 78% nitrogen, never had an issue.

According to some, you must have a 22% better chance of losing pressure than those who claim to "know" that tyres retain nitrogen better!  But that's Thaivisa for you.

3 hours ago, gdgbb said:

Totally wrong expense has everything to do with it and it is not scam it's a choice.

You need to do more research.

Proof of pudding in eating as l say N2 is a benefit to me and l don't give a fling what you think.

The OP video is a bit of rant, like most of Cadogan's videos.  His style is overly dramatic for youtube but the basic points are correct:

- Nitrogen offers very small benefit for car tyres in normal use.   

- The price charged in Australia is too high for the small benefit for cars in normal on-road use.

- Pressure checks should not be less frequent because of claims nitrogen reduces pressure loss.

Regardless of this, if Nitrogen is available for free, the small benefits are a good deal.  

Edited by Jitar

8 minutes ago, transam said:

As Kwaks and myself have noticed tyre pressures stay near what they should be using N2 perhaps folk should take note as we don't tell porkies...But, have a read of this and it might enlighten,,,

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/how-to/a3894/4302788/

As previously mentioned, I use 78% N2 and my tire pressures are always correct when I check them** (well within a psi or 2). The only time I had a noticeable  deviation was due to a screw in my tire.

** I check them once a month on payday.

Edited by Don Mega

1 hour ago, Don Mega said:

As previously mentioned, I use 78% N2 and my tire pressures are always correct when I check them** (well within a psi or 2). The only time I had a noticeable  deviation was due to a screw in my tire.

** I check them once a month on payday.

All tyre compounds are not equal..

On 11/18/2016 at 5:47 PM, transam said:

I don't pay for it in LOS.....So no ploblem....

The tyre dealer told me the original fill and any top ups of nitrogen was free when we bought the new set of tyres

When we called in to check the tyres they charged me 50 baht which is not much but when i checked the tyres myself one week later at a service station one tyre was over inflated

I have gone back to checking the tyres myself with straight air, 

1 minute ago, madmax2 said:

The tyre dealer told me the original fill and any top ups of nitrogen was free when we bought the new set of tyres

When we called in to check the tyres they charged me 50 baht which is not much but when i checked the tyres myself one week later at a service station one tyre was over inflated

You should get them to fill them, then go home and get your trusty tyre gauge out to let a bit out when they are cold..

On 11/18/2016 at 5:47 PM, transam said:

I don't pay for it in LOS.....So no ploblem....

I always overinflate tyres then check them with one of 2 tyre pressure i have at home when the tyres are cold 

1 hour ago, transam said:

Rubber compound structures are different..My hoosier street drag tyres always always lost pressure equally using air, BF and MT street drag radials didn't ..

Ohh Ok, so different compound tire are more porous than others.

Where the Hoosiers radials  or rags ?

Edited by Don Mega

4 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

Ohh Ok, so different compound tire are more porous than others.

Where the Hoosiers radials  or rags ?

Correct...

Hoosiers were radials, they were all radials....The last set, the best, were MT, noooo probs...All tyres fitted to Weld Racing forged alloy rims...

Photo-308.jpg

Just now, transam said:

Correct...

Hoosiers were radials, they were all radials....The last set, the best, were MT, noooo probs...All tyres fitted to Weld Racing forged alloy rims...

What color were the valve stems ?