National police spokesman tells the public: Be fair to us, don't damage our image

rooster59

6 hours ago, slapout said:

I wonder how many policemen committed felonies or are, at this moment doing so this year? I guess the police deterine how the criminal act is noted on the records for internel action/inaction. Misdemeaners, my a..

planting false evidence, demanding money from the public to do their job in a responsibe manner, out right murder, and robbery, write up murder as sucide, etc

Think about it . Koh Tao ?  Red Bull boy ? Incineration by son of Mercedes dealer ?  and many other obvious cases. Now where do their images come into it.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Docno said:

I know I am in the minority, but I feel a *bit* of sympathy for the BIB here, perhaps because I spent 7 years with the police in my home country and have seen how incidents can be distorted in the media and how the actions of bad cops are damaging to the good ones. There may be a higher proportion of bad ones in the RTP due to several factors: poor hiring practices, inadequate training, a dysfunctional organisational culture, leadership issues, weak disciplinary practices, and/or underpay. But I believe there are also many good cops--I personally know a couple of them well--and we shouldn't forget that. We should also remember they don't have an easy job... the good ones deserve credit. And they also deserve having the bad one removed from among their ranks (yeah, I know, easy to 'say'....)   

My only sympathy for the RTP is the pittance wages that they are paid, which is probably the real root of all the problems.

6 hours ago, realenglish1 said:

Dismissed from the Police force for taking a bribe Give me a break This sort of punishment is never never never going to stop police from taking a bribe no mater how little it may be Lock them up for a few years and watch bribery incidents drop

This is just shamefull

Maybe , paying them a decent wage would be a better solution. Help them to be afraid of loosing their jobs.

A tip to all of you good-sayers. Come to Pattaya, preferably the east side (Khao Talo) or Chayapruek Road (linking the far end of Jomtien with Sukhumvit Road) and see, how much money is made weekly on the booze cheque. 
The going rate is THB 10'000 for a Thai and THB 20'000 for an alien - to be settled on the spot prior to any paperwork. 
Did not happen to me but I'm told so by affected customers of my wife's restaurant. 
While I certainly agree to take boozers off the steering wheel please don't whine about the reputation of the BIB; there is little damage which could be added to this. 

When ever I am stopped by the RTP at road blocks, they are being recorded. I have a dash cam , plus I have a Go Pro that they can plainly see.  Sometime they ask if I am recording and I tell them yes, I say, I record everything when I am on the road and put it onn YouTube.  They always just wave me through.  I was stopped 3 times in the last 4 days.  Once near Udon, then just before Non Khai, then on the way to Loei.

Edited by kowpot

1 hour ago, Maestro said:

When the police investigates and disciplines a police officer on the the basis of a video or social media post uploaded by the public, it would be a good idea if the police then posted a comment to inform the public about the action that has been taken. This would probably reduce the number of incidents where an old, completed case is rehashed by the public.

Copy and paste:-  "Moved to an inactive post".

There was a lot of police around the Erawan shrine tonight, they were "arranging traffic" but all they did was blowing their whistles loud and aiming torches on the road telling the cars they had to drive (when the stoplight was green). Totally useless and makes a lot of annoying noise those whistles.

On our main road is huge traffic everyday when there's market, people all park on the road causing huge congestion which even is on the main road , the whole exitlane and even on the big road....then the police is standing on the junction doing nothing, every day again.

He doesn't dare to go to the market and fine people who park on the road or just hold up traffic for any reason. We have to wait 15 minutes for that nonsense every day again.

Many times we even don't go out with the car anymore and eat very close to home or let them deliver it. It's no fun to live in Bangkok with police like that, they are too dumb to pay tax for.

10 hours ago, kowpot said:

When ever I am stopped by the RTP at road blocks, they are being recorded. I have a dash cam , plus I have a Go Pro that they can plainly see.  Sometime they ask if I am recording and I tell them yes, I say, I record everything when I am on the road and put it onn YouTube.  They always just wave me through.  I was stopped 3 times in the last 4 days.  Once near Udon, then just before Non Khai, then on the way to Loei.

Even if I am almost fluent in Thai, when I get stopped in a road block I only speak English with the BIBs, most time they wave me trough because they are so embarrassed that they can not communicate in English. 

I always speak Thai, have no camera and haven't had a problem for years.....so I'd suggest the reasoning of other posts is flawed.

I would suggest that the police are in fact more wary of simply demanding money of anyone than they used to be.

Is this to be taken as a sign of improvement? I would think only a simpleton would come  to that conclusion.

Thai suffers from an inherent acceptance of graft and corruption at all levels coupled with a blind faith in the symbols and figures of authority....... Until this vicious cycle is broken Thailand will never develop as a nation.

27 minutes ago, HiSoLowSoNoSo said:

Even if I am almost fluent in Thai, when I get stopped in a road block I only speak English with the BIBs, most time they wave me trough because they are so embarrassed that they can not communicate in English. 

A good strategy, I must admit.

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Yes, 95% of them are giving the rest a bad name.

QED - doremifasol - A classic example of underestimating the extent of corruption in Thailand - In reality, the culture of an institution  dictates the behaviour of its members - if you are asked by your boss to join in a corrupt activity you have in effect, no choice. You either take part of become a pariah.....your job most people underestimate the extent of corruption in Thailand and there is a n example -  are zero and by not whistle-blowing you re of course just as corrupt as your colleagues

Edited by Loeilad

22 hours ago, smedly said:

There is absolutely nothing the public can do about the Royal Thai Police Image - it is fully 100% under the control of the RTP, if you are asking the public to ignore transgressions committed by the RTP then that is a different matter entirely

You are in full control of your public image

The good thing is social media and the advancement of technology that exposes transgressions to the masses - you are now being scrutinised more than ever before and it will continue

Your right on the money so to speak.

" You make me look bad".  Same old problem not acepting reponcibility for their actions but blaming others for exposing it...!

The problem is not that the public is not being unfair, the problem is that that people, Police in this case think that others that expose them are making them look bad when in fact it's their own actins that have damaged their image and they don't like it being exposed to the public. this goe's for all walks of life not just the BIB...

4 hours ago, HiSoLowSoNoSo said:

I have Thai/American friends with double passports who do the same. Speak english to them and they let you go. They also make big fun about them since they are so "professional" .

The police are the ones who ruined Thailands image, the whole world knows about them now.

Edited by fruitman

16 hours ago, NongKhaiKid said:

I've always had reservations that a salary increase would help very much because of the greed and lust for money that exists here a better wage structure would probably not make many change their ways.

It's not just the salary but the culture too where, for example, officers pay for promotions and favourable postings and better wages aren't going to cover that I would think.

I agree a salary increase might have a very limited effect but with the corruption aspect of their ' image ' there's just too much money to be made.

Look at the major scandals involving govt officials in every dept as likely as not they hold a senior position with a decent salary yet they still involve themselves in all sorts of things as the salary is just never enough.

I remember it being said of a well known politician that he was too rich to need to be corrupt and ... !

I like so many others have a dash cam but I think honestly it's more for effect that taking actual video.

A friend was recently stopped at a police road check and the officer who dealt with him seemed to lose all interest in why he had stopped my friend as his only concern was to ask questions about his dash cam, how good it was, the audio etc. My friend thought it very funny how on seeing the cam the cop instinctively moved, almost jumped,  to the side into a position where he thought he wouldn't be seen.

I got pulled over this week and tried to do a cash deal (bribe) for having no tax but he wasn't having none of it.had to pay the 500b for no tax and get the ticket.also last week went to station to pay parking fine and parking wrong side of street.2x200b...they let me off 200b as they said I come from uk and wouldn't drive on the same side of the road as we do here???? Very nice chap.this country is going down the pan.in one week I've met a straight copper and a fair one.im thinking of complaining to the big boss but don't want to get into any more crap this week.

They will never gain respect until they enact on the existing laws.

1. Patrol the roads instead of sitting in the Police boxes.

2. Sit at the Pedestrian crossings and fine anyone not giving way to pedestrians.

3. Tow away illegally parked vehicles.

4. Do what Police are supposed to do.

58 minutes ago, Freed1948 said:

They will never gain respect until they enact on the existing laws.

1. Patrol the roads instead of sitting in the Police boxes.

2. Sit at the Pedestrian crossings and fine anyone not giving way to pedestrians.

3. Tow away illegally parked vehicles.

4. Do what Police are supposed to do.

Last week i drove behind a policeman who didn't wear a helmet, didn't have a licenseplate, didn't have a badge and drove against traffic...welcome to thailand.

19 hours ago, Sydebolle said:

A tip to all of you good-sayers. Come to Pattaya, preferably the east side (Khao Talo) or Chayapruek Road (linking the far end of Jomtien with Sukhumvit Road) and see, how much money is made weekly on the booze cheque. 
The going rate is THB 10'000 for a Thai and THB 20'000 for an alien - to be settled on the spot prior to any paperwork. 
Did not happen to me but I'm told so by affected customers of my wife's restaurant. 
While I certainly agree to take boozers off the steering wheel please don't whine about the reputation of the BIB; there is little damage which could be added to this. 

Interesting. However, not sure;  are you being serious or joking? Your customers (assumed, since some are aliens)  were fined 20K on the spot for drunk driving. Do you agree with this method ? ie of damaging their pocket book? or do you think that they should be taken to the police station and have their driving license withheld temporarily until a court hearing (despite how ridiculous that sounds). I'd prefer the latter. I can't imagine how anyone can live in Pattaya, based on reports out of there. I'm not picking on Pattaya, btw. Phuket is getting really bad, too.