Trump, Romney, once bitter rivals, meet, smile, shake hands

rooster59

Trump, Romney, once bitter rivals, meet, smile, shake hands

CATHERINE LUCEY, Associated Press

BEDMINSTER, N.J. (AP) — President-elect Donald Trump and Mitt Romney met Saturday at the billionaire's golf club in New Jersey, both emerging with smiles and a public handshake but no word on what, if any, role the 2012 GOP hopeful might play in the new administration.

Trump flashed a thumbs-up said the sit down "went great." Romney said the two had a "far reaching conversation with regards to the various theaters in the world where there are interests of the United States of real significance."

The meeting alone was notable after the crackling rancor between the men all year.

Romney assailed Trump in a stinging speech in March, calling him a "con man" and a "phony." Trump responded by calling Romney a "loser" who "choked like a dog" during the 2012 election and let President Barack Obama win.

But the two have started to make amends since the election. Romney called Trump to congratulate him after his victory over Democrat Hillary Clinton.

Romney was only one of a parade of officials pouring through Trump' door as the president-elect tries to fill more members of his administration. On Friday, Trump picked Alabama Sen. Jeff Sessions for attorney general and Kansas Rep. Mike Pompeo to head the CIA, signaling a sharp rightward shift in U.S. security policy as he begins to form his Cabinet. Trump also named retired Lt. Gen Michael Flynn as his national security adviser.

Hosting the stream of visitors wasn't Trump's first public act of the day. First, there was Twitter.

He rushed to the defense of Mike Pence on Saturday after "Hamilton" actor Brandon Victor Dixon challenged the incoming vice president from the Broadway stage after the show Friday night. "Apologize!" Trump tweeted to the actor. "Our wonderful future V.P. Mike Pence was harassed last night at the theater by the cast of Hamilton, cameras blazing. This should not happen!"

Dixon tweeted back: "Conversation is not harassment sir. And I appreciate @Mike_Pence for stopping to listen."

Trump also bragged on Twitter about agreeing to settle a trio of lawsuits against TrumpUniversity, claiming: "The ONLY bad thing about winning the presidency is that I did not have the time to go through a long but winning trial on Trump U. Too bad!"

Trump then turned to meetings, perhaps about posts in his administration.

Just on Saturday, Trump's schedule included retired Marine Corps Gen. James Mattis, a potential contender to serve as Trump's defense secretary, as well as Michelle Rhee and Betsy DeVos, two well-known education activists. And on Sunday, Trump was due to meet with several people, including New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie and former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani.

Trump's announcement on Friday of Sessions, Pompeo and Flynn formed the first outlines of Trump's Cabinet and national security teams. Given his lack of governing experience and vague policy proposals during the campaign, his selection of advisers is being scrutinized both in the U.S. and abroad.

Trump's initial decisions suggest a more aggressive military involvement in counterterror strategy and a greater emphasis on Islam's role in stoking extremism. Sessions, who is best known for his hard line immigration views, has questioned whether terrorist suspects should benefit from the rights available in U.S. courts. Pompeo has said Muslim leaders are "potentially complicit" in attacks if they do not denounce violence carried out in the name of Islam.

Pompeo's nomination to lead the CIA also opens the prospect of the U.S. resuming torture of detainees. Trump has backed harsh interrogation techniques that President Barack Obama and Congress have banned, saying the U.S. "should go tougher than waterboarding," which simulates drowning. In 2014, Pompeo criticized Obama for "ending our interrogation program" and said intelligence officials "are not torturers, they are patriots."

Sessions and Pompeo would both require Senate confirmation; Flynn would not.

In a separate matter Friday, it was announced that Trump had agreed to a $25 million settlement to resolve three lawsuits over Trump University, his former school for real estate investors. The lawsuits alleged the school misled students and failed to deliver on its promises in programs that cost up to $35,000.

Trump has denied the allegations and had said repeatedly he would not settle. New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman, who announced the settlement, called it "a stunning reversal by Donald Trump and a major victory for the over 6,000 victims of his fraudulent university."

Trump tweeted to his 15 million followers Saturday that he only settled to better focus on leading the U.S.

ap_logo.jpg
-- © Associated Press 2016-11-20

Yes watching all these Trump appointments scares me one guy wants to execute Snowden (watching the movie now first opinion all the snakes in the system should executed) Trump appointees are much like an American wide Staph/staff infection. The movie Snowden is a much watch a true eye opener. Execution for this man serves two purposes one is a warning to other budding Snowden's and another is to turn off the tap of information all Americans should be made aware of. All your being fed is dollops of media drivel. 

How amusing watching all these people that vilified Trump the candidate now eating crow, and of course sucking up to him now that he is President elect. Ryan, Romney, Preibus, all of them. Nice to see Shinzo Abe come over and praise the Don, all world leaders will be doing the same sooner or later(possible exception of Kim JL). Even Merkle will realize in her own time - not the sharpest tool in the box - that she must drop the hysterics, get her knee-pads on, and start accomodating Trump in a professional and amicable manner. A satisfying situation all round, democracy in play, after giving it the pet lip and chucking their toys out of the pram which changed nothing.

1 hour ago, jaidam said:

How amusing watching all these people that vilified Trump the candidate now eating crow, and of course sucking up to him now that he is President elect. Ryan, Romney, Preibus, all of them. Nice to see Shinzo Abe come over and praise the Don, all world leaders will be doing the same sooner or later(possible exception of Kim JL). Even Merkle will realize in her own time - not the sharpest tool in the box - that she must drop the hysterics, get her knee-pads on, and start accomodating Trump in a professional and amicable manner. A satisfying situation all round, democracy in play, after giving it the pet lip and chucking their toys out of the pram which changed nothing.

While I agree with you that all the suck asses are lining up, including most world leaders, I have to say even Bill Clinton would not want to see Merkle in knee pads.

2 hours ago, jaidam said:

Nice to see Shinzo Abe come over and praise the Don, all world leaders will be doing the same sooner or later(possible exception of Kim JL)

I hate to disillusion you but it is called arse kissing a prerequisite for being a politician a secret oath before you join the liars club. Yes Donald will be King For A Day. I hope he can hear the knives being sharpened in the background. I would hate to see him suffer when they slide into his back. 

1 hour ago, Grubster said:

While I agree with you that all the suck asses are lining up, including most world leaders, I have to say even Bill Clinton would not want to see Merkle in knee pads.

I wonder if she can curtsy. If your my age and have endured and I mean endured all this political rhetoric, dogma, horse puckey and dog barf over the decades you can mentally cut through all this crap like a knife through butter and see it for what it truly is. They are already laying the foundation of lies to convince you that they deserve your vote in the next election. If you are afraid to seek political advice elsewhere at least talk to yourself in the mirror. Possibly the only place you will get a straight answer. 

6 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

trump makes Romney look quite decent. Brave new world we've got. 

Yes they are the engine and caboose in the political daisy chain. All they need is some cars in the middle and there should be no lack of choices. Everybody wants to get on this gravy train/chain

26 minutes ago, elgordo38 said:

I hate to disillusion you but it is called arse kissing a prerequisite for being a politician a secret oath before you join the liars club. Yes Donald will be King For A Day. I hope he can hear the knives being sharpened in the background. I would hate to see him suffer when they slide into his back. 

Yeah as they really dulled those knives on Trump in the election.

3 minutes ago, Grubster said:

Yeah as they really dulled those knives on Trump in the election.

During the election campaign they all thought the Donald did not have a snowball's hope in H to win. Now you cannot find a sharp knife anywhere. Even looking at Trumps cabinet selection its hard to find a sharp knife among them. Kind of reminds me of that bag of hammers joke. 

22 minutes ago, elgordo38 said:

I wonder if she can curtsy. If your my age and have endured and I mean endured all this political rhetoric, dogma, horse puckey and dog barf over the decades you can mentally cut through all this crap like a knife through butter and see it for what it truly is. They are already laying the foundation of lies to convince you that they deserve your vote in the next election. If you are afraid to seek political advice elsewhere at least talk to yourself in the mirror. Possibly the only place you will get a straight answer. 

Please don't make me look in the mirror, I had all mine taken out.  Yes I have watched the US elite take our country down piece by piece from both sides of the isle and really shouldn't think or talk about it. Drives me crazy.

9 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Trump had agreed to a $25 million settlement to resolve three lawsuits over Trump University, his former school for real estate investors. The lawsuits alleged the school misled students and failed to deliver on its promises in programs that cost up to $35,000.

Off to the gibbets with him. 

3 hours ago, Grubster said:

Please don't make me look in the mirror, I had all mine taken out.  Yes I have watched the US elite take our country down piece by piece from both sides of the isle and really shouldn't think or talk about it. Drives me crazy.

Talking about a problem is good leaving it fester is bad. It is the world wide Elite that are dismantling the globe not just the US. You are the bricks and mortar that hold the country together. Sadly the sound of jack hammers fills the air. We us old farts are above the fray but its our immediate family that need help and guidance. They must take up the cudgel and beat back an unbalanced media who sell their souls to the highest bidder. Its hard to find the right way when battling two parties with the same agenda. 

I would say it is more about having no moral backbone at all.  If Romney is that much of a spineless moron then he should fit into Trumps team very well.

Maybe. Or maybe he's a patriot and realizes trump is an existential threat to the planet and thinks he can help temper that by serving on the inside or at least trying to talk some sense into the clown. Yes I know that clown will be my president. Oy.

16 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Romney assailed Trump in a stinging speech in March, calling him a "con man" and a "phony." Trump responded by calling Romney a "loser" who "choked like a dog" during the 2012 election and let President Barack Obama win.

The dark state of politics. Now folks do you really really think these guys are working in your best interests. Get real. Quit the fluff and stuff. They feather their own nest first and then crank up the speakers and tell you what the media tells them you want to hear. The actually make real life bad guys look good. Play it again Sam "When Will They Ever Learn"