Thailand: 8 Killed, 13 Injured in One Day in 3 Separate Traffic Accidents

webfact

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, georgemandm said:

Naive answer how do you get that ?. 

I have look at the story and know what it is about ok .

like all  threads some go off the rail on TV like this one did .

it got on to driving in thailand ok .

why the hell do I need to understand the road science that is just a stupid reply.

I have a license so I most know the road laws .

you have no idea what you are going on about this place thailand is a joke when in comes to road  uses and you can't hide from that .

look when I get someone like you who thinks you know it all I just say go google it 

i don't care how much experience you have driveing in thailand still dose not change how bad the driving is here it is a joke .

if you are not a truck driver then you would never ever have the experience I have on the roads so don't try and tell me thailand is a safe place to drive.

you know I not care about the  death rate in thailand not my country ok , I am just say , and untill people like you wake up to how bad it is and the thai people wake up and try and fix it , it is never going to change.

like one tv member side it will take 18 years to get the bad driving out of the thai people.

What is being failed to consider here, is that given the roads (which are being improved every day countrywide) and the vast quantities of traffic in Thailand, actually most Thai drivers do pretty well to avoid more accidents. You only have to spend a little while in Bangkok morning and evening traffic to appreciate what I am saying.

Yes, there are a lot of very bad drivers, but I don't think that Thailand is the worst country to drive in by any means and I have driven over 1 million k here; generally most Thai drivers are more considerate than say Malay's or Australians, or even the UK where its impossible to drive safely now because of the proliferation of camera's and road signs and silly speed limits.

If everybody here (including the police) obeyed all the traffic laws (such as their are) to the letter of the law, Bangkok would simple stop and never move again. 

You need to appreciate the overall situation so you can adjust your driving to match. Not nice, but practical. That's why the Bangkok police can direct streams of traffic the wrong way against the normal flow to enable the traffic to move in the mornings and evenings and let everybody drive on the hard shoulder on the expressways. NOT NICE, BUT PRACTICAL.

What they do need is a better learner driver scheme with L plates displayed for at least the first year after passing your test - which is being improved.

You must expect the unexpected wherever you drive, QED is right or DEAD when wrong 555.

4 minutes ago, MiKT said:

What is being failed to consider here, is that given the roads (which are being improved every day countrywide) and the vast quantities of traffic in Thailand, actually most Thai drivers do pretty well to avoid more accidents. You only have to spend a little while in Bangkok morning and evening traffic to appreciate what I am saying.

Yes, there are a lot of very bad drivers, but I don't think that Thailand is the worst country to drive in by any means and I have driven over 1 million k here; generally most Thai drivers are more considerate than say Malay's or Australians, or even the UK where its impossible to drive safely now because of the proliferation of camera's and road signs and silly speed limits.

If everybody here (including the police) obeyed all the traffic laws (such as their are) to the letter of the law, Bangkok would simple stop and never move again. 

You need to appreciate the overall situation so you can adjust your driving to match. Not nice, but practical. That's why the Bangkok police can direct streams of traffic the wrong way against the normal flow to enable the traffic to move in the mornings and evenings and let everybody drive on the hard shoulder on the expressways. NOT NICE, BUT PRACTICAL.

What they do need is a better learner driver scheme with L plates displayed for at least the first year after passing your test - which is being improved.

You must expect the unexpected wherever you drive, QED is right or DEAD when wrong 555.

Fink the "L" plate thing may cause a "face" thingy.............:sad:

Just now, transam said:

Fink the "L" plate thing may cause a "face" thingy.............:sad:

Only for rich Benz/Ferrari  kids and they don't bother with tests and licenses, they just get in the way when trying to get out a few baht to hand over to the family of the cop they just killed. Thai license no use in Singapore for a long stay anyway.

53 minutes ago, MiKT said:

Thais drivers are more considerate then drivers in Australia are you jokeing me 

no way in the world can you  compare drivers in thailand with Australia drivers .

you tell me what is so wrong with speed  cameras not one thing, great idea will not be long and they will be all over thailand.

savers people's lives.

Yes road are ok in thailand , I agree for a

3 rd world courtly, but the big problem is the road are built like shit brake up after one month when finished .

not the worst in the world go google it then you will see how bad it is here .

so you say if  people start to obeyed the road laws it would be worst off  , are you just joking. 

Fix the problem in bangkok that is all I can say , like some courtlys do ,stop all

the cars coming very day . 

1 minute ago, georgemandm said:

Thais drivers are more considerate then drivers in Australia are you jokeing me 

no way in the world can you  compare drivers in thailand with Australia drivers .

you tell me what is so wrong with speed  cameras not one thing, great idea will not be long and they will be all over thailand.

savers people's lives.

Yes road are ok in thailand , I agree for a

3 rd world courtly, but the big problem is the road are built like shit brake up after one month when finished .

not the worst in the world go google it then you will see how bad it is here .

so you say if  people start to obeyed the road laws it would be worst off  , are you just joking. 

Fix the problem in bangkok that is all I can say , like some courtlys do ,stop all

the cars coming very day . 

I don't need to Google, I have driven for 54 years in at least 35 different countries and I know Thailand is nowhere near as bad as say Turkey, or Bangladesh or India or Laos or Cambodia, or Malaysia or China. The only reason they don't have more fatalities listed on Google, is they don't have anywhere near the traffic density, but the drivers are worse, worse and worser.

Sorry, but Australian "bush train"  drivers are worse than shit and most drivers in Sydney are speed mad Cantonese (or whatever they call them now).

Camera's are ok in moderation, but in some parts of the UK (which has more camera's per head of population than anywhere else) the camera's are so close together and the speed limit signs are so ridiculous (I know places where it goes from 30 to 50 to 40 to 30 to 40 to 50 to 70 to 30mph in only a 3 or 4 klicks - with some zebra crossings thrown in for good measure) that its dangerous to drive, because you are so busy looking at the signs and trying to keep to the speed limit (its also slightly hilly) that you cannot pay enough attention to the road in front or behind.

The camera's are just there to make money for the local councils from the huge number of speeding fines they net every day.

From your last suggestion it is clear that you know nothing at all about Bangkok traffic, it ain't commuter heaven, with everybody driving in from their cute country weekend cottages, they nearly all live there; its a big, big place.

You think I am joking about Bangkok stopping completely if everybody obeyed all the traffic laws, but I am not joking, it really would stop, especially if the police did not run the contra-traffic flows and allow driving on the hard shoulder. Things are better in the very center of Bangkok now, but I can remember 10 hour traffic jams.

Then you have to consider that the roads here have to suffer from the incredible tropical downpours that we get in this part of the world and the roads are built and repaired with such speed they put other countries to shame.

No they are not to a good enough spec., but that's simply because they let lorries be loaded up to more than the roads designed weight capacity - see a few years back for the controversy of the Roads Minister (with construction company connections) who allowed the weight limit to be increased because "it would stop the drivers illegally increasing their loads". Now they increase them even more, because the overload is a lower percentage so the roads are knackered quicker and the road construction companies .................. 555 if it was not so pathetic.

1 hour ago, MiKT said:

I don't need to Google, I have driven for 54 years in at least 35 different countries and I know Thailand is nowhere near as bad as say Turkey, or Bangladesh or India or Laos or Cambodia, or Malaysia or China. The only reason they don't have more fatalities listed on Google, is they don't have anywhere near the traffic density, but the drivers are worse, worse and worser.

Sorry, but Australian "bush train"  drivers are worse than shit and most drivers in Sydney are speed mad Cantonese (or whatever they call them now).

Camera's are ok in moderation, but in some parts of the UK (which has more camera's per head of population than anywhere else) the camera's are so close together and the speed limit signs are so ridiculous (I know places where it goes from 30 to 50 to 40 to 30 to 40 to 50 to 70 to 30mph in only a 3 or 4 klicks - with some zebra crossings thrown in for good measure) that its dangerous to drive, because you are so busy looking at the signs and trying to keep to the speed limit (its also slightly hilly) that you cannot pay enough attention to the road in front or behind.

The camera's are just there to make money for the local councils from the huge number of speeding fines they net every day.

From your last suggestion it is clear that you know nothing at all about Bangkok traffic, it ain't commuter heaven, with everybody driving in from their cute country weekend cottages, they nearly all live there; its a big, big place.

You think I am joking about Bangkok stopping completely if everybody obeyed all the traffic laws, but I am not joking, it really would stop, especially if the police did not run the contra-traffic flows and allow driving on the hard shoulder. Things are better in the very center of Bangkok now, but I can remember 10 hour traffic jams.

Then you have to consider that the roads here have to suffer from the incredible tropical downpours that we get in this part of the world and the roads are built and repaired with such speed they put other countries to shame.

No they are not to a good enough spec., but that's simply because they let lorries be loaded up to more than the roads designed weight capacity - see a few years back for the controversy of the Roads Minister (with construction company connections) who allowed the weight limit to be increased because "it would stop the drivers illegally increasing their loads". Now they increase them even more, because the overload is a lower percentage so the roads are knackered quicker and the road construction companies .................. 555 if it was not so pathetic.

You can say what you want to defend the senseless slaughter, and thats the only way to describe what happens in Thailand on a daily basis

The figures tell a different story

4 hours ago, MiKT said:

are we in thailand yes we are ,I not care about all those countries, you are talking about that has nothing to do with thai  Driving.

the drivers here are s??? Not all but most .

have you driven big truck?.

theres when you know you can drive, cars are like toys .

i could not give one s??? About bangkok just a s??? Hole . 

You go on about road laws in thailand , bangkok and you say they not care about thai laws , you say makes the place a better and safer place to drive bs .

then you have A go at the big trucks overloading and thats no good ,

build the roads like Australia and you would not have half the problems they have here .

what  Queensland Australia is not like thailand with the wether is it not ,

they  not have much problems on the roads there .

i think you can't control your driving back in the U.K. As Australia has just as many road cameras and I seem to not get book .

if you drive by the law you never have a problem but if you drive stupid then 

som nam nar as the thai would say .

you could be driving for 70 years dose not make you a good driver at all dose it .

and by the sounds it your not

you  worry much about spending  cameras .

you look like have had a few fines .

so before you get on here and try and  defend  The truth think about how bad the drivings is here not all but a lot .

3 hours ago, oldlakey said:

You can say what you want to defend the senseless slaughter, and thats the only way to describe what happens in Thailand on a daily basis

3 hours ago, oldlakey said:

I am not defending anything, I am simply pointing out the realities of the situation that you don't seem able to grasp, otherwise you would not be suggesting absolutely stupid things like stopping people driving into Bangkok.

Far too many people killed in traffic accidents in Thailand, yes. Far too many people slaughtered in the UK, Australia and the US every day, yes. Far, far, far too many killed in India or China every day, yes.

Driving is dangerous everywhere and you may  think that if you drive in Thailand you may need to take a bit more care than in say the UK, but actually this is not really true, it is very hard to drive down the M1 or M25 when the traffic is moving fast and it raining or snowing, so you need to take extra care anytime you get in a car or on a bike whatever country you are in.

What you need to do is make the effort to understand the traffic patterns and driving habits here (which may not be the same as you are used to) and drive accordingly.

Maybe you should have a quick trip to Ankara, where the taxi drivers drive 3 abreast with the wing mirrors locked together. When you have been driving along as the meat in one of those taxi sandwiches in the snow, then you might actually appreciate Thai traffic.

Driving in the many mountains here is not as dangerous as driving in say the Alps or Dolomites, because the locals there drive at ridiculous speeds in icy weather, but its inherently dangerous to drive on winding mountain roads wherever you are.

Many improvements are needed here especially in driving education and not letting sub 10 year old kids drive motorbikes, not wearing seatbelts, helmets, etc.  and having proper driving instruction/testing and licensing for HGV and Public Transport drivers, but in essence Thailand is not the worse place to drive, no matter how much time you spend on Google.

One day we will have proper, robot driven cars everywhere, and presumably less accidents, but it will be a long, long time coming in less developed countries where feeding people is a higher priority. After all they haven't even managed to fully introduce a practical driverless car solution even in Holland with is minuscule population and good(ish) roads.

Spend you time rooting for things that can be improved here, not pie in the sky complaining that everything about driving in Thailand is bad.

4 minutes ago, georgemandm said:

are we in thailand yes we are ,I not care about all those countries, you are talking about that has nothing to do with thai  Driving.

the drivers here are s??? Not all but most .

have you driven big truck?.

theres when you know you can drive, cars are like toys .

i could not give one s??? About bangkok just a s??? Hole . 

You go on about road laws in thailand , bangkok and you say they not care about thai laws , you say makes the place a better and safer place to drive bs .

then you have A go at the big trucks overloading and thats no good ,

build the roads like Australia and you would not have half the problems they have here .

what  Queensland Australia is not like thailand with the wether is it not ,

they  not have much problems on the roads there .

i think you can't control your driving back in the U.K. As Australia has just as many road cameras and I seem to not get book .

if you drive by the law you never have a problem but if you drive stupid then 

som nam nar as the thai would say .

you could be driving for 70 years dose not make you a good driver at all dose it .

and by the sounds it your not

you  worry much about spending  cameras .

you look like have had a few fines .

so before you get on here and try and  defend  The truth think about how bad the drivings is here not all but a lot .

Thank you so much for your uninformed incomprehensible rant. Very enlightening. NB yes, I have driven most stuff, including a train, but you, I don't think you have any idea about driving anywhere. Rant on somewhere else.

I drove on many roads in Your Wonderful Queensland in Australia that were SHIT  and the lorry drivers were even shittier.

Clearly you have no idea whatsoever about Bangkok, so why are you wasting you time (and ours) ranting about something you know nothing about?

59 minutes ago, MiKT said:

I am not defending anything, I am simply pointing out the realities of the situation that you don't seem able to grasp, otherwise you would not be suggesting absolutely stupid things like stopping people driving into Bangkok.

Far too many people killed in traffic accidents in Thailand, yes. Far too many people slaughtered in the UK, Australia and the US every day, yes. Far, far, far too many killed in India or China every day, yes.

Driving is dangerous everywhere and you may  think that if you drive in Thailand you may need to take a bit more care than in say the UK, but actually this is not really true, it is very hard to drive down the M1 or M25 when the traffic is moving fast and it raining or snowing, so you need to take extra care anytime you get in a car or on a bike whatever country you are in.

What you need to do is make the effort to understand the traffic patterns and driving habits here (which may not be the same as you are used to) and drive accordingly.

Maybe you should have a quick trip to Ankara, where the taxi drivers drive 3 abreast with the wing mirrors locked together. When you have been driving along as the meat in one of those taxi sandwiches in the snow, then you might actually appreciate Thai traffic.

Driving in the many mountains here is not as dangerous as driving in say the Alps or Dolomites, because the locals there drive at ridiculous speeds in icy weather, but its inherently dangerous to drive on winding mountain roads wherever you are.

Many improvements are needed here especially in driving education and not letting sub 10 year old kids drive motorbikes, not wearing seatbelts, helmets, etc.  and having proper driving instruction/testing and licensing for HGV and Public Transport drivers, but in essence Thailand is not the worse place to drive, no matter how much time you spend on Google.

One day we will have proper, robot driven cars everywhere, and presumably less accidents, but it will be a long, long time coming in less developed countries where feeding people is a higher priority. After all they haven't even managed to fully introduce a practical driverless car solution even in Holland with is minuscule population and good(ish) roads.

Spend you time rooting for things that can be improved here, not pie in the sky complaining that everything about driving in Thailand is bad.

There is nothing to grasp about the death toll in Thailand apart from the fact it will just continue unless something is done about it

Its really not difficult to understand really

Its just a total waste of life that should not be happening

Its pointless looking at anywhere else in the world to soften the blow, especially when just about everywhere else is out of sight of Thailand

There is nothing to grasp about the death toll in Thailand apart from the fact it will just continue unless something is done about it
Its really not difficult to understand really
Its just a total waste of life that should not be happening
Its pointless looking at anywhere else in the world to soften the blow, especially when just about everywhere else is out of sight of Thailand

Still ranting about Thailand without taking any factors into consideration is just simple Thai bashing. Make some sensible comments. Who should do what? Maybe mass prayers, or are you another one who is going to tell us how the army is miraculously going to stop all traffic accidents. If other countries with many more resources can't significantly reduce traffic deaths how are Thais supposed to go about it? Lets have some sensible opinions not just self evident rants. Of course sensless accidents will continue as long as there are motor vehicles. What do you propose to improve the situation, here or in other countries with higher death rates and worse driving.

2 hours ago, MiKT said:

Still ranting about Thailand without taking any factors into consideration is just simple Thai bashing. Make some sensible comments. Who should do what? Maybe mass prayers, or are you another one who is going to tell us how the army is miraculously going to stop all traffic accidents. If other countries with many more resources can't significantly reduce traffic deaths how are Thais supposed to go about it? Lets have some sensible opinions not just self evident rants. Of course sensless accidents will continue as long as there are motor vehicles. What do you propose to improve the situation, here or in other countries with higher death rates and worse driving.

I wont apologize for being a realist 

Most right thinking people accept the truth regards the road problems in Thailand, after all we read about them on a daily basis

We also know what needs to be done, and by who as its been suggested time immemorial  on here by so many

If you think this is a rant then so be it

Edited by oldlakey
spelling error

11 hours ago, MiKT said:

I am not aware of saying stupid things such as people should be stopped from driving into Bangkok

So MiKT I would be grateful if you did not attempt to put words into my mouth in the future

This is merely a request for you to extend a common courtesy 

Thank you

12 hours ago, oldlakey said:

I am not aware of saying stupid things such as people should be stopped from driving into Bangkok

So MiKT I would be grateful if you did not attempt to put words into my mouth in the future

This is merely a request for you to extend a common courtesy 

Thank you

Dear oldlakey,

may I advert you to your post # 125 where you say "Fix the problem in bangkok that is all I can say , like some courtlys do ,stop all the cars coming very day ."

Assuming by courtlys you mean countries, I think it is you that might need to apologise; but if you are not even aware of what you post, I don't think I will bother to hold  my breath waiting for one. 

Edited by MiKT

13 hours ago, oldlakey said:

I wont apologize for being a realist 

Most right thinking people accept the truth regards the road problems in Thailand, after all we read about them on a daily basis

We also know what needs to be done, and by who as its been suggested time immemorial  on here by so many

If you think this is a rant then so be it

I think its a RANT because all you are doing is saying lots of people get killed on the roads in Thailand and SOMETHING should be done about it and EVERYBODY knows WHAT TO DO.

Everybody knows what is to be done! but no ideas from you as to why there are problems and no ideas to fix them.

But funnily enough everybody does not know what needs to be done or they would do it (or maybe they actually are fixing somethings). No facts, nothing to explain why Thailand should be able to do what no other country has managed to do, so its just self evident ranting.

I can think of dozens of things to improve road safety, but most apply in many other countries. However, all you seem to want to do is blame "Thailand" per see, so its pointless explaining anything to you.

42 minutes ago, MiKT said:

Dear oldlakey,

may I advert you to your post # 125 where you say "Fix the problem in bangkok that is all I can say , like some courtlys do ,stop all the cars coming very day ."

Assuming by courtlys you mean countries, I think it is you that might need to apologise; but if you are not even aware of what you post, I don't think I will bother to hold  my breath waiting for one. 

Hello MiKT

I am at a total loss I am afraid you have really confused me now 55555555

I spell my name     OLDLAKEY   NOT    GEORGEMANDM  

I can understand your confusion as I am in FULL agreement with his arguments  

40 minutes ago, MiKT said:

I think its a RANT because all you are doing is saying lots of people get killed on the roads in Thailand and SOMETHING should be done about it and EVERYBODY knows WHAT TO DO.

Everybody knows what is to be done! but no ideas from you as to why there are problems and no ideas to fix them.

But funnily enough everybody does not know what needs to be done or they would do it (or maybe they actually are fixing somethings). No facts, nothing to explain why Thailand should be able to do what no other country has managed to do, so its just self evident ranting.

I can think of dozens of things to improve road safety, but most apply in many other countries. However, all you seem to want to do is blame "Thailand" per see, so its pointless explaining anything to you.

As far as I am concerned PEOPLE in power DO know what to do but for one reason or another the will does not exist to act

As far as explaining anything to anybody goes this is my attempt at you

I did not POST 128 that was GEORGEMANDU again

I did not POST 129  that was YOU 

I did not POST  132 that was Scott from Admin  I know you liked that one  

I hope this clears the mist for you

Edited by oldlakey

On ‎21‎.‎11‎.‎2016 at 0:02 PM, Get Real said:

No of course not. Education has never been the answer to anything! Are you for real? So a better education for a driver license with driver lessons and real theory lesson with a written mandatory test would not change anything? In your country everybody, and so on. Is the death toll same high per capita in your country as it is in Thailand? Maybe that question tells you something about the importace of education.

I have come closer to death in my country than in LOS. Some truly maniac drivers there. That the death toll is low is no doubt due to good road engineering, luck and the high penalties for driving drunk. it certainly isn't due to driving skill, which is severely lacking. I'd like to see tailgating a crime equal to speeding, along with trucks travelling together and not allowing cars to overtake.

7 minutes ago, oldlakey said:

Hello MiKT

I am at a total loss I am afraid you have really confused me now 55555555

I spell my name     OLDLAKEY   NOT    GEORGEMANDM  

I can understand your confusion as I am in FULL agreement with his arguments  

2 minutes ago, oldlakey said:

As far as I am concerned PEOPLE in power DO know what to do but for one reason or another the will does not exist to act

As far as explaining anything to anybody goes this is my attempt at you

I did not POST 128 that was GEORGEMANDU again

I did not POST 129  that was YOU that 

I did not POST  132 that was Scott from Admin  I know you liked that one  

I hope this clears the mist for you

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah, so sorry old lakey chapey. its this new TV site, sometimes when I click on the "quote" button for a poster it brings up a different posters post and if I don't notice, this is what happens.

But that you agree with Mr Georgemandm quite baffles me, I can't understand what he is trying to say half the time. The other half he gets cut-off by the Mod for posting gratuitous insults.

Golly I will wait until tomorrow to go back and look at who said what.

6 minutes ago, MiKT said:

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah, so sorry old lakey chapey. its this new TV site, sometimes when I click on the "quote" button for a poster it brings up a different posters post and if I don't notice, this is what happens.

But that you agree with Mr Georgemandm quite baffles me, I can't understand what he is trying to say half the time. The other half he gets cut-off by the Mod for posting gratuitous insults.

Golly I will wait until tomorrow to go back and look at who said what.

We have differing views on this very emotive subject no problem with that

Our little debate has been interesting, ABSOLUTELY no offence meant or taken

Sleep well

We have differing views on this very emotive subject no problem with that
Our little debate has been interesting, ABSOLUTELY no offence meant or taken
Sleep well

Thanks, but I dont think we really have differing views. I am not defending the bad driving, bad roads, bad traffic laws, bad policing, letting kids drive and overall lack of safety appreciation in Thailand. I am simply saying you need to take all factors into account and there are no easy "everybody knows" solutions, here or in any other country. Also that Thailand is by no means the worst country to drive in no matter what Google says about the number of deaths. Google says it would be very bad driving on Mars and unless you have actually driven in a lot of places, you can't make valid overall comparisons.

On 22/11/2016 at 3:51 AM, JohanB said:

You'e absolute right in your observations, but how to comply with the international traffic laws. I come from Sweden and am used to the civilized laws regarding pedestrians here in europe, but can not apply them in Thailand. 

I drive some 1000km's a year in Thailand and in the beginning I tried to stopp and let people over the zebra crossings. Everytime I did so in the beginning of my driving here, I was honked on, overpassed and realized I was causing danger to the pedestrians, as they did't dare to walk and maybethought I tried to lure out in the traffic!

Nowadays I use the common Thai culture not to stop and put people at risk, when crossing the streets.

If this behaviors ever have to change, they neeed a definate date of changing this  and a combination of very strong punishments and information campaigns.

You are right with your comment aswell that is the other side under where we daily seeing ourselves

In general may we ask the thai society what they value more...

Truth vs Freedom

Freedom does not rule the truth and regulations .

Truth is required a regulation by law..surely the transperancy to all ...tax apply to the same day for the rich as for the poor...

But if the truth by law is not enforced and nobody care then the transparency in traffic law to enforce the same become useless and chaos kicks in.....why we have traffic laws or none

On 22/11/2016 at 8:16 AM, oldlakey said:

Its about getting your attention, as in as many views and comments as possible 

I dont know but I suspect advertisers look at these numbers, thats the financial reason for it

It seems to have been fairly successful in what it set out to do up to press

As far as Thailands drivers are concerned the death toll confirms without a doubt that Thailand has its fair share of poor / dangerous drivers

Unless of course they have more than their fair share of unlucky drivers

As the slaughter goes on Thailands roads its not really worth a mention as a daily stand alone commentary on Thailands roads

I dont see it as a Thai bashing post either, although I do think some Thai drivers need a good bashing

Not a logical conclusion.....

As far as Thailands drivers are concerned the death toll confirms without a doubt that Thailand has its fair share of poor / dangerous drivers

The nunber of poor or bad drivers are proportionally the same world wide....Thailand logically must be doing something else.....Thailand has the same number of incidents as the UK....yet a death rate 10 times higher

On 21/11/2016 at 5:36 PM, thhMan said:

Its not about Alcohol etc...

Its about the population knowing that LAW is only as good as the people who enforce it and the people who obey it and that is why the people do whatever they want...

The reason I moved to Thailand is for the Anarchy aspect.... I now understand that I should be careful what I wish for.... as I now miss the rules that kept me safe and also kept a balance of "fairness" that I had grown accustomed to in Australia.

There is no single issue solution to the problem in Thailand...all aspects of road safety are in need of attention....just "patching up"  one will have little or no effwct4 and thinking that you can just heap the blame on bad drivers is just plain racist and stupid.

To set things straight now will cost....not least of all the entire road system will have to be re-engineered abd re-designed.......but on the other hand, the injuries and death toll on Thai roads costs the country a fortune so in the a comprehensive, scientific approach will save the country money as well as improve the quality of life for road users and those who live near roads .. And luck has nothing to do with it...luck is an excuse we use when we can't see the cause

Edited by Loeilad

2 hours ago, Loeilad said:

The nunber of poor or bad drivers are proportionally the same world wide....Thailand logically must be doing something else.....Thailand has the same number of incidents as the UK....yet a death rate 10 times higher

Is that hard to work out?

If the safety aspect, such as speed, helmet usage, vehicle road worthiness, seatbelt usage etc are different, then the incidents maybe the same, but the outcome of those incidents is higher with the country that doesnt care, then of course there are more deaths

And where does all the safety issues start?

At schools, where the schools and police turn a blind eye to the road rules and let children drive/ride, also enforcing to the kids that the police are just an inconvenience.

How many times have you observed a crowd of scooter riders waiting at the lights, some without helmets and a policeman amongst them, not doing a single thing?

How many times have you been buzzed by some kid on a hotted up scooter, weaving in and out of traffic, or a loaded up scooter full of kids just leaving school, all with no helmets, not using blinkers, not looking where they are going...?

On 11/21/2016 at 2:37 PM, georgemandm said:

Yes I agree, But until the thai government start to get  serious about the people that die on the road not one thing will happen.

hop soon but .

LOL but many believe - see - the main goal of any/all Thai government and govt. workers is to amass personal wealth anyway possible. Everything else is inconsequential. 

20 hours ago, Loeilad said:

Not a logical conclusion.....

There is no single issue solution to the problem in Thailand...all aspects of road safety are in need of attention....just "patching up"  one will have little or no effwct4 and thinking that you can just heap the blame on bad drivers is just plain racist and stupid.

To set things straight now will cost....not least of all the entire road system will have to be re-engineered abd re-designed.......but on the other hand, the injuries and death toll on Thai roads costs the country a fortune so in the a comprehensive, scientific approach will save the country money as well as improve the quality of life for road users and those who live near roads .. And luck has nothing to do with it...luck is an excuse we use when we can't see the cause

Are you sure its not luck, well I will go to the bottom of our stairs   555555555

Driver puts bus into ravine on road he is not accustomed to and KILLS 18

Father kills himself and two daughters while negotiating a level crossing, why wait until the train has gone ?????

ETC etc etc etc etc etc and of course ETC ETC

Its been a bad week this one

Calling a BAD DRIVER, a bad driver and heaping as much blame on them as possible is justified

It is NOT RACIST or STUPID

Just because you are given enough rope to hang yourself by the authorities, does not make it compulsory