Not allowed to enter because of 3 stamps. Not a visa runner.

1 hour ago, MaxiMaxi said:

Visa on arrival can be also of 30 days. My country has 30d

If you can, it must be a very new arrangement. I am quite sure the Wikipedia article was accurate pretty recently, and do not recall any announcement of changes. Is the cost the normal 2,000 baht? What is your nationality?

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, BritTim said:

If you can, it must be a very new arrangement. I am quite sure the Wikipedia article was accurate pretty recently, and do not recall any announcement of changes. Is the cost the normal 2,000 baht? What is your nationality?

Wikipedia is not considered a viable research source for business or academia. Even Jimmy Wales, the  founder of Wikipedia said,

“It is pretty good, but you have to be careful with it,” he said. “It’s good enough knowledge, depending on what your purpose is.”

Better stick to the official Thai immigration sites.

3 hours ago, MaxiMaxi said:

Visa on arrival can be also of 30 days. My country has 30d

A visa on arrival means when you arrive you purchase a visa.

The stamp you get from the admitting immigration officer in your passport is not a visa, it is an entry stamp/permission to stay stamp given to you without a visa. It is called a Visa Exempt Entry which allows you to remain in the country 30 days and is extendable for 30 days or 15 days and is extendable for 30 days depending on whether you arrive at an airport or land border and, in the case of a land border, depending on your nationality. It is NOT a visa on arrival because you enter WITHOUT getting a visa.

If you arrived at Suvarnabhumi the following would apply:

Suvarn.jpg

Qualifications

• Hold the citizenship of a country on the list issued by the minister under the consent of the Council of Ministers of Thailand.
  • Aim to enter Thailand for tourism for the period of not exceeding 15 days.
  • Submit one 4 x 6 cm. headshot photo taken no longer than 6 months.
  • Does not fall into the category of aliens prohibited from entering Thailand under the Immigration law.
  • Possess the return ticket within 15 days.
  • Truthfully notify the verifiable places to stay in Thailand.
  • Present evidence of adequate finance, not less than 10,000 Baht (250US$) per person and 20,000 Baht (500US$) per family.
  • Possess a passport or travel document with validity not less than 6 months.
  • Pay 2,000 Baht for the visa fee (Thai currency only)

The list of countries eligible to obtain Visa on Arrival

Andorra  Bhutan Bulgaria China
Taiwa  Cyprus Ethiopia India
Kazakhstan   Latvia Lithuania Maldives
Malta  Mauritius Romania San marino
Saudi Arabia  Ukraine Uzbekistan
Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, smotherb said:

Wikipedia is not considered a viable research source for business or academia. Even Jimmy Wales, the  founder of Wikipedia said,

“It is pretty good, but you have to be careful with it,” he said. “It’s good enough knowledge, depending on what your purpose is.”

Better stick to the official Thai immigration sites.

The official Thai immigration sites should be used as sources with care. Usually, there are pages that contain correct information. However, alongside this, there are often pages that are outdated, or downright inaccurate.

It is true that Wikipedia articles are not always 100% accurate. They are comparable to an encyclopedia like Britannica, but far more detailed. As it happens, the Wikipedia article cited earlier in this thread appears to have no substantive errors, at least none that I have been able to identify.

• Like 1

This is how the Suvarnabhumi website describes visas on arrival-note the 15 days:

http://www.suvarnabhumiairport.com/en/907-visa-on-arrival

Very different from a visa exempt which the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs asserts can be had by nationals of 42 countries for up to 30 days. Indeed some of us get a visa exempt when we arrive but it isn't a VOA. 

8 hours ago, BritTim said:

The official Thai immigration sites should be used as sources with care. Usually, there are pages that contain correct information. However, alongside this, there are often pages that are outdated, or downright inaccurate.

It is true that Wikipedia articles are not always 100% accurate. They are comparable to an encyclopedia like Britannica, but far more detailed. As it happens, the Wikipedia article cited earlier in this thread appears to have no substantive errors, at least none that I have been able to identify.

It depends upon how correct you want to be.  While any information source can be erroneous; Thai immigration will be the last word.

12 minutes ago, smotherb said:

It depends upon how correct you want to be.  While any information source can be erroneous; Thai immigration will be the last word.

If you mean the immigration official at your chosen point of entry, I agree with you. The trouble is that (even if you routinely follow this board) you cannot always predict how that official will act. We may know what has typically happened at that entry point in the past, but we also know, from experience, that this can be subject to change without notice.

Although, in the final analysis, you are subject to the whims of the officials, it is still useful to know the regulations as they are meant to be applied. For this, the IATA database is one excellent source. The immigration and consular websites can be useful if you can separate the correct from the erroneous pages. This board is an excellent source once you identify the few people who know what they are talking about. The Wikipedia article is only as good as the sources it chooses to trust itself. In the case of Thai visa policy, Wikipedia seems to have chosen reliable references.

21 hours ago, JackThompson said:

I think the core of the issue here is "Poipet".  It is not a use-able crossing point if you have been to Thailand with any frequency.  Months apart, etc, may or may not matter.   As this traveler's story emphasizes, who knows how many vacations Poipet's policies have ruined, harming Thailand's reputation as a haven for tourists in the process. 

OP - if you are still in Poipet, your most probable working solution is to go to Battambang, then on to the Ban Laem crossing.   Both can be reached by shared-taxi - possibly by minivan on the Poipet to Battambang leg.   I would not pay more than $9 for each leg of this - should be less, but depends on the "tout" and your bargaining skill.  Taxis in Battambang are found near the downtown-block where the many bus stations are found.

Thansk, but I've left. Since I was denied to enter by a computer, wouldn't it happen on any other border?

4 minutes ago, chado said:

Thansk, but I've left. Since I was denied to enter by a computer, wouldn't it happen on any other border?

The computer did not deny you. It notified the immigration official that your entry should be subject to extra scrutiny because use of visa exempt entries exceeds a threshold. At some land borders, notably Poi Pet, they will not bother to figure out if you are a legit tourist, but simply deny entry (without following correct procedure which requires a written explanation of why) using the computer notification as an excuse. It is true that another border point could do the same, but (based on your description) most would probably stamp you in. Certainly, you would be very unlikely to be denied entry if you arrived by air at either Bangkok airport.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, chado said:

There is no such notice as far as I know. The computer cannot deny you entry it can only display your previous entries and the officer will make the decision. If proper procedures were followed you would not of been told you could not enter the country and would have a denial of entry stamp in your passport.

You would not have a problem by air or at most other crossings. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, chado said:

If you are back in Phnom Penh, or perhaps HCMC, and want to know beyond any doubt you can return without issue, pick up a Thai Tourist Visa there.   Given your history, the most you would need is the application-fee + an exiting air-ticket from Thailand.  This is a more reliable way to enter Thailand than a Visa Exempt.  With that in your passport, come back any way you choose without worry *except* for Poipet, which has become notorious and sometimes has insanely-long queues.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, chado said:

When does the amount of free 30 days stamp get zeroed? In January?

It really never gets set to zero since they will always be there.

At some border crossings they state 3 entries during a calendar year is all that is allowed.

The officer gets an alert when you reach 6 visa exempt entries and I am not aware of any time limit for it. The alert is meant to inform the officer that they should review the previous entries to see if the are out/in visa runs or not and to see if you are trying to live here on them.

To avoid problems the best thing to do is get a tourist visa if you plan on staying here long term.

24 minutes ago, chado said:

When does the amount of free 30 days stamp get zeroed? In January?

There is no set of known rules.  Folks used to say it was 6 entries (maybe "ever") before the computer-warning was hit.  Then, people without that history started getting pulled aside for questioning.  This leaves the Imm-Officer and the applicant with no way to know what is "ok" or "not ok," stressing out everyone involved.

This is why I suggested getting a Tourist Visa even though, with your history, in theory, you should be allowed in on Visa Exempt.   Sadly, as there is no set of rules, all you can get are probability-estimates on receiving Visa Exempt entries and various locations.  If you are thinking this is an insane policy for an immigration system in a country where tourism is a significant economic factor, you are not alone.

Edited by JackThompson

Ok, say I get a visa. After I use my visa for 3 months I leave  and come back, say, in 2 months to stay just for 2 weeks. So does that mean that I'll again be denied entry? And my 3 stamps will always cause  an alert to popup on their computer?

11 minutes ago, chado said:

Ok, say I get a visa. After I use my visa for 3 months I leave  and come back, say, in 2 months to stay just for 2 weeks. So does that mean that I'll again be denied entry? And my 3 stamps will always cause  an alert to popup on their computer?

If you try to enter via Poi Pet, the answer is yea.

19 minutes ago, chado said:

It would not be a problem if you flew in and at most border crossings. But at Poi Pet it could be a problem.

chado, i'm not sure what your home country is (or where you would go when you leave thailand for 2 months and then come back).  if you are going to visit thailand often, it is best to avoid the visa exempt entries if possible.  as an example, i came to thailand for july and august of 2016.  i could have arrived with a visa exempt entry giving me 30 days and extended that for 30 days at immigration in bkk.  but, instead, i applied for a single entry tourist visa to cover the 60 day stay.  i did this to avoid unnecessary visa exempt entries as i spend 8-9 months a year in thailand and don't want to go over 'the limit' (whatever it might be) on visa exempt entries.

using your example of a 2 week stay, i'd still get a single entry tourist visa if convenient and obtainable where you are before your trip to thailand.

• Like 2