The anti-Trump resistance takes shape: 'Government's supposed to fear us'

webfact

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Oh come on! Have you already forgotten Obama's "you can keep your plan, you can keep your Dr". and something about how it would be "cheaper". Not forgetting his promise to close Guantanamo.

Bush the younger was the worst with his WMDs. Thousands died because of that.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/article/2017/jan/05/tracking-obamas-top-25-campaign-promises/

Obama’s repeated efforts to make good on this pledge have been met with consistent opposition from Congress. Two days after he was sworn in, Obama issued an executive order to close the prison at the U.S. Navy base in Cuba within one year. But Congress refused to fund the shuttering of the facility.

I don't rate this as a lie.  I rate it as a failed government.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fascinating article.

I concur that if not yet, it won't be long until the vast majority of Americans want trump OUT of office. But that's a different thing than actually getting him out. The article presumes we won't ... and theorizes how strangely unprecedented that is going to be.

What a Failed Trump Administration Looks Like

I still have trouble seeing how the Trump administration survives a full term. Judging by his Thursday press conference, President Trump’s mental state is like a train that long ago left freewheeling and iconoclastic, has raced through indulgent, chaotic and unnerving, and is now careening past unhinged, unmoored and unglued.

Trump’s White House staff is at war with itself. His poll ratings are falling at unprecedented speed. His policy agenda is stalled. F.B.I. investigations are just beginning. This does not feel like a sustainable operation.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/17/opinion/what-a-failed-trump-administration-looks-like.html?_r=0

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/02/22/politics/donald-trump-approval-rating-quinnipiac-poll/index.html

Poll: Trump's approval rating continues to dip

In a national survey released Wednesday, Quinnipiac University found that 38% of American voters approve of Trump's job performance, while 55% disapprove.
A poll released earlier this month by Quinnipiac taken shortly after Trump's inauguration found that 42% of American voters approve of his job performance, while 51% disapprove.

A majority of voters polled, 55%, said they think Trump was not honest and does not have good leadership skills. An even greater number, 60%, reported Trump does not share their values.

On 2016-11-21 at 3:33 PM, Jingthing said:

I am not contesting the legitimacy of the electoral college or the legality of the trump win. 

Mentioning Hillary Clinton's popular vote win simply gives power to the reality that even though trump completely controls the government, a majority segment of the people don't support most of his agenda (at least as stated in the campaign). So no mandate.

Remember, he's the MOST UNPOPULAR president elect in U.S. history and it's likely to go downhill from that before very long at all. 

unpopularity and success are not mutually dependent. You don't have to be liked to be successful. After 33 days into his term you are ready to write him off? Trump didn't become a billionaire being nice and popular, but due to intelligence, clear thinking and  execution skills.

7 hours ago, Skywalker69 said:

Trump’s Staff Just Got Caught Making Secret White Power Signs To Their Legions Of Racists

http://occupydemocrats.com/2017/02/22/trumps-staff-just-got-caught-making-secret-white-power-signs-legions-racists/

This is resistance?  Silly media quotes?  Using an army of emoticons?

The Vietnam war protests and the civil rights marches were 'real' resistance by 'real' people.  Not anonymous people, living 10,000 miles away.

1 hour ago, bangkok101 said:

unpopularity and success are not mutually dependent. You don't have to be liked to be successful. After 33 days into his term you are ready to write him off? Trump didn't become a billionaire being nice and popular, but due to intelligence, clear thinking and  execution skills.

Thanks for sharing but trumpist fan fiction doesn't really fit on this topic which happens to be about the resistance to trump. 

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

Thanks for sharing but trumpist fan fiction doesn't really fit on this topic which happens to be about the resistance to trump. 

so you say, but who's listening.

You don't like trump...i get it, but if i pull your chain then you can bark, ming bai ?

Who are you decide what is relevant or not anyways? You the untouchable here or what?

Edited by bangkok101

Back to topic.

Town hall push back!:post-4641-1156693976::post-4641-1156693976::post-4641-1156693976:

It's the new tea party and it's all about resisting trump!

Predictably, the biggest issue is the "plan" to gut ACA. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2017/02/10/republican-townhalls-are-becoming-the-leading-edge-of-the-democratic-resistance/

Republican town halls are getting very, very nasty

That's one way to classify what's happening. Another way: Republicans are getting an unexpected jolt from both the left and their own anxious base at these town halls — and it's a moment that looks like a mirror image of the national mood almost a decade ago. The common thread between then and now: One party in control of Washington undertaking a massive change to Americans' health care. When Democrats were in Republicans' situation in 2010, they lost control of Congress and haven't regained it since.

18 minutes ago, bangkok101 said:

so you say, but who's listening.

You don't like trump...i get it, but if i pull your chain then you can bark, ming bai ?

Who are you decide what is relevant or not anyways? You the untouchable here or what?

That's right. I don't like trump. A MAJORITY opinion among Americans now and many of those people are expressing themselves through various forms of visible and PERSISTENT resistance to the trump agenda.

Gallup: Trump Approval Rating Lower Than Other Presidents

President Donald Trump has not received the job approval rating that past presidents enjoyed when starting out as leaders of the free world, according to a polling data released Friday. In fact, it is historically low.

Trump's approval rating sits at 40 percent — 21 points lower than the average for presidents in the February of their first term, according to a Gallup poll comparison. It is also 11 points lower than Bill Clinton''s, who had held the previous low after one month in office with an approval rating of 51 percent, Gallup said.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/gallup-trump-approval-rating-lower-than-other-presidents/ar-AAn4hr5?li=BBnbcA1

Edited by Jingthing

13 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

That's right. I don't like trump. A MAJORITY opinion among Americans now and many of those people are expressing themselves through various forms of visible and PERSISTENT resistance to the trump agenda.

Gallup: Trump Approval Rating Lower Than Other Presidents

President Donald Trump has not received the job approval rating that past presidents enjoyed when starting out as leaders of the free world, according to a polling data released Friday. In fact, it is historically low.

Trump's approval rating sits at 40 percent — 21 points lower than the average for presidents in the February of their first term, according to a Gallup poll comparison. It is also 11 points lower than Bill Clinton''s, who had held the previous low after one month in office with an approval rating of 51 percent, Gallup said.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/gallup-trump-approval-rating-lower-than-other-presidents/ar-AAn4hr5?li=BBnbcA1

so, because i say something positive about trump, you start wetting your pants. found your weak spot.

Be that as it may, enjoy getting thru the next 47 months of trump-ism. Call me when Trump is up for re-election, don't ya just love it!

Obama lawyers form 'worst-case scenario' group to tackle Trump

Fearful the new administration will abuse its power, the former president’s lawyers are uniting to fight back. (sub-title)

"Top lawyers who helped the Obama White House craft and hold to rules of conduct believe President Donald Trump and his staff will break ethics norms meant to guard against politicization of the government — and they’ve formed a new group to prepare, and fight."

"United to Protect Democracy, which draws its name from a line in President Barack Obama’s farewell address that urged his supporters to pick up where he was leaving off, has already raised a $1.5 million operating budget, hired five staffers and has plans to double that in the coming months."

“It’s really important for a bunch of people to shine the light on this question, to make very clear when autocrats are starting in any way to detract from democratic institutions,” said Yascha Mounk, a Harvard Law lecturer who specializes in the rise of authoritarianism and has been having high level strategic advisory conversations with the group."

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/02/obama-trump-lawyers-worst-case-235280

2 minutes ago, bangkok101 said:

so, because i say something positive about trump, you start wetting your pants. found your weak spot.

Be that as it may, enjoy getting thru the next 47 months of trump-ism. Call me when Trump is up for re-election, don't ya just love it!

I just don't see this thread as the proper place to cheer lead for trump. If there's some kind of miracle and trump somehow manages to win over large portions of his current opponents, then the resistance will weaken and that will be the story then. But currently and for the forseeable future, the OPPOSITE is happening. 

Edited by Jingthing

How Trump spent his first month in office, by the numbers: From the moment Donald Trump was sworn in as president on the steps of the Capitol until noon Monday, precisely one month had passed. A total of 744 hours.

.  Intelligence briefings: 6 hours

• News conferences: 4 hours
  • Signing bills and executive orders: 6 hours
  • Phone calls and meetings with foreign leaders: 21 hours
  • Listening sessions with various groups: 14 hours
  • tweeting: 13 hours
  • golf: 25 hours : "That’s not because presidents don’t deserve downtime, mind you — it’s just that Trump was an outspoken critic of Barack Obama’s time on the golf course. “I’m going to be working for you. I’m not going to have time to go play golf,” he said last August."
  •  

........ https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/politics/wp/2017/02/21/how-donald-trump-spent-his-first-month-in-office-by-the-numbers/?utm_term=.1c439486657f

Edited by Opl

The Pruitt Emails: E.P.A. Chief Was Arm in Arm With Industry

"WASHINGTON — As Oklahoma’s attorney general, Scott Pruitt, now the Environmental Protection Agency administrator, closely coordinated with major oil and gas producers, electric utilities and political groups with ties to the libertarian billionaire brothers Charles G. and David H. Koch to roll back environmental regulations, according to over 6,000 pages of emails made public on Wednesday."

"The companies provided him with draft letters to send to federal regulators in an attempt to block regulations on greenhouse gas emissions from oil and gas wells, ozone air pollution and chemicals used in hydraulic fracturing, or fracking, the technique of injecting chemicals underground to extract oil and gas, the emails show."

"As soon as this week, Mr. Trump is expected to announce at least two executive orders directing Mr. Pruitt to begin rolling back and weakening a set of Obama-era E.P.A. regulations aimed at limiting emissions that cause global warming, and at pollution in the nation’s rivers, streams and wetlands."

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/22/us/politics/scott-pruitt-environmental-protection-agency.html?_r=0

They're gonna need a bigger swamp...

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/02/23/politics/fbi-refused-white-house-request-to-knock-down-recent-trump-russia-stories/index.html

FBI refused White House request to knock down recent Trump-Russia stories

The FBI rejected a recent White House request to publicly knock down media reports about communications between Donald Trump's associates and Russians known to US intelligence during the 2016 presidential campaign, multiple US officials briefed on the matter tell CNN.

White House officials had sought the help of the bureau and other agencies investigating the Russia matter to say that the reports were wrong and that there had been no contacts, the officials said. The reports of the contacts were first published by The New York Times and CNN on February 14.

And this is the scary part.  They knew it was illegal, but did it anyway.

The direct communications between the White House and the FBI were unusual because of decade-old restrictions on such contacts. Such a request from the White House is a violation of procedures that limit communications with the FBI on pending investigations.

Not surprising, but interesting.

Most Americans are EMBARRASSED having trump as our president. 

This is especially an everyday issue for American expats abroad!

In Thailand, not so much with Thais because they're not usually up on international stuff, but with other non-Americans.

Where do you come from?

The U.S. 

Where?

You know, trump.

Oh. 

AWKWARD.

A majority of Americans are embarrassed by President Trump

Trump won the presidency by embracing a core group of conservative Republicans that has continued to stand staunchly by his side ever since — and doing little to lure anyone else to his side. He won by running against a flawed Democratic candidate who won more votes — as predicted by national polls like the ones cited above — but fumbled the electoral college. If Trump’s desired outcome was to advance to the presidency and then lead an adoring nation through four ecstatic years, polling suggests that he hasn’t yet figured out how to make that happen.

Given that Americans see him as divisive, hot-tempered, dishonest and adrift from their values, polling also suggests that the country is skeptical that he can.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/politics/wp/2017/02/23/a-majority-of-americans-are-embarrassed-by-president-trump/

Edited by Jingthing

11 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I just don't see this thread as the proper place to cheer lead for trump. If there's some kind of miracle and trump somehow manages to win over large portions of his current opponents, then the resistance will weaken and that will be the story then. But currently and for the forseeable future, the OPPOSITE is happening. 

time will tell, but definitely interesting times ahead.

Here's a new term to me that I do like ... ALT MAJORITY!

Makes sense considering the authoritarian extremist white nationalist Alt Right is a relatively small minority that now has massive power in the white house and in no way represents the MAJORITY of Americans.

Here's about how the RESISTANCE is effectively using social media to persistently and quickly MOBILIZE --

The Alt-Majority: How Social Networks Empowered Mass Protests Against Trump

Something sure is. We’re witnessing the stirrings of a national popular movement aimed at defeating the policies of Mr. Trump. It is a movement without official leaders. In fact, to a noteworthy degree, the formal apparatus of the Democratic Party has been nearly absent from the uprisings. Unlike the Tea Party and the white-supremacist “alt-right,” the new movement has no name. Call it the alt-left, or, if you want to really drive Mr. Trump up the wall, the alt-majority.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/30/technology/donald-trump-social-networks-protests.html

This MUST be either the end of Trump or the end of US Democracy!!

White House blocks CNN, BBC, New York Times, LA Times from media briefing

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/white-house-blocks-news-outlets-from-media-briefing-a7598641.html

WOW! Just WOW! Lets see how Senior Republican react this weekend! The Fascist has just shown his true colours.  Trump no longer qualifies to speak with US allies and those in his administration who support him should be buried with him in the swamp. I hope this leads to some high profile resignations.

All you 'patriots out there, your First Amendment has just been thrown in the bin! All the US Military personnel who fight for 'FREEDOM' now have a Dictator as Commander in Chief. Can it get worse? Maybe, but not much.

Edited by Andaman Al

2 hours ago, Skywalker69 said:

Obama Just Got Coffee In NYC. What Happened Next Is AWESOME

http://occupydemocrats.com/2017/02/24/obama-just-got-coffee-nyc-happened-next-awesome/

And yet some say he was a terrible president.  I think an OK president with a terrible congress.  Love this comment from your link:

The reaction from the crowd tells you all you need to know about how the American people feel about our 44th President – and how deeply despised his successor is.

The last time President Trump was seen among everyday Americans, he was pursued by angry protesters all the way to his mansion at Mar-a-Lago.

Amazing how people can still support this person and his administration.  They've completely lost the plot and this last act is unacceptable.  I feel the US is in for some tough times.  All due to Trump and Bannon.  They've got to go.  Here's how Sean Spicer lied:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/politics/wp/2017/02/24/in-december-spicer-said-barring-media-access-is-what-a-dictatorship-does-today-he-barred-media-access/?utm_term=.f792d7bcc72c

In December, Spicer said barring media access is what a ‘dictatorship’ does. Today, he barred media access.

Former George W. Bush spokesman Ari Fleischer defended Spicer on Twitter: “Press secretaries SHOULD brief/gaggle w all press. But WH staffs & POTUSes often meet w who they want.” The problem for Spicer is that he already clearly articulated his views on excluding media outlets from access at the White House: Since it’s a publicly funded operation, it shouldn’t happen.

http://edition.cnn.com/videos/politics/2017/02/24/sean-spicer-dictatorship-press-sot.cnn

http://edition.cnn.com/videos/politics/2017/02/24/white-house-press-block-jake-tapper-lead.cnn

White House blocks CNN, BBC, New York Times, LA Times from media briefing

Politico, BuzzFeed and others were also denied entry to the press conference (sub-title)

"The news outlets blocked from the press briefing include organisations who President Trump has criticised by name: 

CNN, BBC, The New York Times, LA Times, New York Daily News, Daily Mail, were among the news outlets barred from the gathering."

“Nothing like this has ever happened at the White House in our long history of covering multiple administrations of different parties,” Dean Baquet, executive editor of The New York Times said in a statement."

“We strongly protest the exclusion of The New York Times and the other news organizations. Free media access to a transparent government is obviously of crucial national interest.”

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/white-house-blocks-news-outlets-from-media-briefing-a7598641.html

Mussolini anyone? :whistling:

Other outlets such as the AP and Time boycotted and refused to attend the huckster's press conference

due to this unprecedented fascist leaning action.

Edited by iReason