Phuket beach vendors file encroachment complaint

snoop1130

Phuket beach vendors file encroachment complaint

Eakkapop Thongtub

1479724560_1-org.jpg

Mr Amnoy Pongtoy, 50, (right) and Mr Kaid Jadsanam, 70, filer their complaint at the Darongdhama Centre. Photo: Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET:-- More than 20 beach vendors from Nai Yang filed a complaint at the Darongdhama Centre (Ombudsman’s Office) at Phuket Provincial Hall today (Nov 21) requesting that officials investigate a land claimant who has allegedly not only refused to remove structures from the beach for the past two years, but has also added more.

Mr Amnoy Pongtoy, 50, and Mr Kaid Jadsanam, 70, led a group of Nai Yang beach vendors to the Darongdhama Centre this morning (Nov 21) where they filed a formal complaint regarding alleged land encroachment at Nai Yang in Sakoo.

The group say that the land in question is reserved for animal farming only, but the person who claims ownership of the land has built structures without any permits.

Ms Wannee Sirikhan, Chief of Information at the Phuket Highways Office, acting as Chief Supervisor for the Damrongdhama Centre received the complaint and told the group that she will have officials investigate the case.

Mr Amnoy explained that the area in question covers five rai and now has a restaurant, spa and accommodation built upon it.

The claimant to the land, Mr Dang Laolang, was requested in September 2014 by officials from Sakoo Administration Office (OrBorTor) and the military to remove all illegal structures from the site as per orders issued by the NCPO.

“Officials declared that the buildings were illegal because they were built without permits. The claimant has also built new buildings on the land which were also ordered to be removed, but nothing has been done,” Mr Amnoy said.

Full Story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-beach-vendors-file-encroachment-complaint-59936.php#c4qH6jgkRJrjLLWI.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2016-11-21

Read more at http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-beach-vendors-file-encroachment-complaint-59936.php#DRPuck5az2WcVqYM.99

19 minutes ago, BigBadGeordie said:

And now the dogs start to feast on each other.

Or maybe Thailand is reaching that tipping point where the citizens feel empowered to ask -even demand- that their government enforce the laws against the wealthy as well as the masses.  

OTOH, could just be a petty squabble taken to the next level.  But add up the Bali Hai Pier, Koh Samet, and all the other encroachments being dealt with, I'm a little optimistic.

Could be an exciting time in Thai history.  

1 hour ago, impulse said:

Or maybe Thailand is reaching that tipping point where the citizens feel empowered to ask -even demand- that their government enforce the laws against the wealthy as well as the masses.  

OTOH, could just be a petty squabble taken to the next level.  But add up the Bali Hai Pier, Koh Samet, and all the other encroachments being dealt with, I'm a little optimistic.

Could be an exciting time in Thai history.  

??? Baloney. The land is not being used as intended. Any enforcement of rules and the masses should rise up?  

There has to be enforcement of the rules...or there are no rules. There has been a change in Thailand and especially in Phuket for how land and by that I mean public/King's land can be used. Thais will take any non-enforcement of laws and run with it. 

I love seeing enforcement of these laws. It means the long corrupt local officials, now have to obey the laws. 

These guys were building restaurant, spas and hotels on restricted land. They don't have a case.  

14 hours ago, Pinot said:

??? Baloney. The land is not being used as intended. Any enforcement of rules and the masses should rise up?  

There has to be enforcement of the rules...or there are no rules. There has been a change in Thailand and especially in Phuket for how land and by that I mean public/King's land can be used. Thais will take any non-enforcement of laws and run with it. 

I love seeing enforcement of these laws. It means the long corrupt local officials, now have to obey the laws. 

These guys were building restaurant, spas and hotels on restricted land. They don't have a case.  

I imagine (or I certainly hope) that your ''baloney'' comment is re: the bit about maybe its a petty squabble'' . The fact is that more and more Thai are dropping the sociological taboos they are weaned on - and expressing their concerns to government. This is a major development. I agree with you that we can hope it will gain momentum. I'm not naive enough to think that there are no limits to what a Thai can complain abut to a military minded government.

One thing whcih we need to see is the 2 national rags develope some balls and start doing some investigative reporting. I am an avid news reader; the lack of anything resembling proactive, investigative journalism can be depressing. Particularly now that Phuketwan got muzzled and the 2 UK loose cannons left town.