Pattaya underpass set for completion in February - dolphins cavorting happily will represent image of Pattaya

webfact

Pattaya underpass set for completion in February - dolphins cavorting happily will represent image of Pattaya

p41.jpg

Pictures: Daily News

PATTAYA: -- As construction of the Pattaya underpass nears completion the builders are beautifying the structure "to reflect the wonderful image of Pattaya".

As befitting a place by the sea it has been decided to decorate the 1.9km structure with a whole load of happy dolphins, reports Daily News.

Intermingled among these sea creatures will be other images of Thai culture.

The walls will reflect the blue of the beautiful sea at the resort.

The browns and other coastal shades reflect the rocks and sand depicting how lovely seaside Pattaya is for its millions of visitors.

p42.jpg

Phisak Jitwiriyawasin of the highways department said it was important that the underpass reflected an appropriate image of the resort.

The four lane road-cum-tunnel- named "Pattaya Klang Underpass" - is expected to be finished by February, he said.

Built using a budget of 837 million baht it is expected to relieve traffic congestion along Sukhumvit Road especially during peak hours as well as increase safety for road users.

Phisak said that most of what remains is road surfacing and beautification that includes landscaping and that sculpture in the area of the pedestrian walkway that will traverse the road.

"Pattaya is a world class resort," he said, "and we want to reflect this with images of the sea appropriate for the city".

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-11-22

22 minutes ago, smedly said:

Time to start seriously looking at a one way system for Klang and possibly South Pattaya road, the whole city needs a traffic flow expert team brought in and offer solutions

enforce traffic rules and regulations and all would be fine.

Think this would look good  on the walls.

stock-photo-business-shark-cartoon-140164303.jpg

Edited by onemorechang

18 minutes ago, OMGImInPattaya said:

Nice to read it's almost finished...some reports said it would take up to 5 years to complete but seems its been barely two. It does seem to be mostly underpass, with maybe a couple hundred feet of "tunnel" at the Klang intersection junction.

Think the 5 year timescale was to include similar structures at the South Pattaya and Thepprasit junctions. No word on when these projects might be starting. More traffic chaos as and when they do, but, without all three junctions being completed, any improved flow for through traffic is likely to be minimal.

35 minutes ago, smedly said:

Time to start seriously looking at a one way system for Klang and possibly South Pattaya road, the whole city needs a traffic flow expert team brought in and offer solutions

I don't agree; it mostly flows fine, except for afternoons on weekends and Thai holiday weekends.

What exactly is the city's link with dolphins? I don't see any trips in the bay to go dolphin watching, I know there is the inland dolphin show, but there are elephant, tiger, crocodile and snake shows too. It's like sports teams calling themselves cougars and wolves and suchlike for no apparent reason. Rant over.

We drove by yesterday. Asphalt is being laid at the northern end, palm trees were going into the median near Klang.  Making very good progress.  But for now, this extra work is making traffic really bad.  At least on the N. bound side.  Backed up almost all the way to S. Pattaya Road!  Well before the turnaround there.

I've lived here a long time. I've never seen a dolphin in the ocean, and don't understand why they build an underpass when an overpass would have been faster, cheaper, and less disruptive. I for one hope they don't build additional underpasses in town. These do nothing for the in town traffic, which is where all the problems are. Seriously, keep the big buses off the sidestreets, repair the damage they have already done, park those buses closer to Sukhumvit, and force the songtaews into a route that includes Third Road.

1 hour ago, champers said:

What exactly is the city's link with dolphins? I don't see any trips in the bay to go dolphin watching, I know there is the inland dolphin show, but there are elephant, tiger, crocodile and snake shows too. It's like sports teams calling themselves cougars and wolves and suchlike for no apparent reason. Rant over.

Same as the Dolphins  on the poles all the way up North Pattaya Road.

leading to Dolphin roundabout.

Maybe ?

Sharks are a much better logo for pattaya,  i think  :thumbsup:

3 minutes ago, onemorechang said:

Straight to the next traffic jam 400m down the road.

Pattaya  Thai  :thumbsup:

Actually, the underpass is AT Klang.  Goes under the intersection there.  The underpass is a few hundred meters or so either side of Klang.

I'm sorry but whoever says this is going to improve traffic has no understanding of traffic patterns or city infrastructure. The only thing this underpass has done is cause over two years of traffic chaos around Pattaya Klaeng, and put some money in the pockets of those involved. Improvements to Pattaya traffic flow may have had some effect 15-18 years ago, IF coupled with similar improvements to  roads, zoning and bypasses, but the time for those to have any effect has long since passed.

2 hours ago, smedly said:

The last few times an expert team was called in Second Rd switched back & forth between one way and two way several times north of Pattaya Klang in a confusing way until they settled the way they are now. And Jomtien Beach Rd was slated to be one way until it wasn't. And Pattaya Beach Rd was to be declared a walking street north of Walking St some of the time.

Pattaya officials abruptly canceled plans to turn Jomtien Beach Road into a one-way street, citing possible tourist confusion during high season.

http://www.pattayamail.com/news/jomtien-beach-road-one-way-plan-stopped-before-it-begins-42964

“The city’s traffic organization committee is completely prepared and ready to launch one-way traffic on 2nd Road, continuing from the Central Road intersection to North Pattaya Road (Dolphin Roundabout) beginning on January 15,” Police Maj. Somchai told Pattaya Mail. “Preparations are all in place, there are no hold-ups in the way, and one-way traffic should be a reality starting this coming Tuesday.”

The start date was originally scheduled for December 15, 2001, but due to strong opposition from businesses in North Pattaya, especially the Pattaya Central Festival Center who feared customers would be diverted away, the planned start date was set back a month to better publicize it.

http://www.pattayamail.com/441/news.shtml#hd1

At approximately 9 a.m. this Saturday, February 16, Second Road will “temporarily” revert back to 2-way traffic from the Central Road intersection through to the Dolphin Roundabout. No date has been set for when it will become one-way again.

The provincial government plans to extend Walking Street at least 2 kilometers up Beach Road on Saturday nights, beginning February 16.

If the plan reaches fruition, motor vehicle traffic will be prohibited from 1.30 p.m. until 1 a.m. every Saturday. The street will then be set up as a street fair, with food stalls, entertainment booths, exhibitions, and cultural shows.

And there were many more decisions and indecisions about one way or two way.

3 hours ago, OMGImInPattaya said:

I don't agree; it mostly flows fine, except for afternoons on weekends and Thai holiday weekends.

Thats because most traffic is now taking the roads that parallel the railway line where traffic is terrible.  

4 hours ago, webfact said:

The walls will reflect the blue of the beautiful sea at the resort.

The browns and other coastal shades reflect the rocks and sand depicting how lovely seaside Pattaya is for its millions of visitors.

I think someone got that the wrong way round, surely the Browns and other coastal shades actually represent the colour of the sewage infested bay, they lost me on the Blue, maybe the sky colour ?